Old 08-01-2020, 08:28 AM   #92
Dash_Martino
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 78728
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 STi
PSM

With the turbo out, I decided now was a good time to upgrade the turbo oil / AVCS line on the passenger side.
I bought the torque solutions kit. Installing the line is relatively straightforward

HOWEVER!

Removing the old AVCS / Turbo oil line is tough. I thought I would have to go through the hassle of removing the intake manifold. Thankfully, with some patience, cursing, twisting, and pulling, I was able to slide the old oil line out.
Here's some tips if you're doing the job:

-The entire hard line is held in place with one bolt buried underneath the turbo inlet. To be able to loosen it, sneak a ratcheting box wrench in underneath the turbo inlet, approaching from the back side of the motor. With a flashlight, you can see the bolt through some narrow spaces in the top of the intake manifold. Once you seat the wrench on top of the bolt, you can ratchet it off. I used a screwdriver to help turn the bolt when the bolt got too loose for the wrench to work.

-It's best to cut the line at the front of the motor and the back so you don't have the loops still on the line where they attach to the banjo bolts, giving you more wiggle room to take out the entire line.

-Once the mounting bolt is off and you have the line cut at both ends, go to the front of the motor. Push the remaining line underneath the crossover pipe, which may require a punch or screwdriver. From there, it's easier to wiggle the line out through the back side of the motor.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to take off this line without going through removing the intake manifold.

Next up, will re-do my passenger side axle seal, then start putting on the up pipe.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Dash_Martino is offline   Reply With Quote