View Single Post
Old 01-04-2022, 05:49 PM   #2
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 461015
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Littleton, CO
2017 WRX


Originally Posted by cguajardo View Post
Hey fellow subie-friends, got a question I didn't see particular answers to via searching so I thought I'd post.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I need to have the clutch replaced in my 2017 WRX (58k miles).

Background - I took a trip out to the mountains here in CO and on the way back got stuck in some horrible stop and go traffic (2+ hours of 2mph - 5mph movement). In this constant accordion like traffic where we wouldn't actually stop, I found myself constantly feathering the clutch into/out of 1st gear. I'd try to coast in neutral as much as possible but with the constant braking and accelerating between that horrible 2-10mph zone, I found that I couldn't manage creeping slowly without constantly going in and out of 1st. Anyways, eventually I started to smell a rubbery-like burning smell and figured it was my clutch plate. I also started experiencing massive chatter/shaking when letting go of the clutch pedal in 1st. I pulled over as quickly as I could find a safe pull-off and waited for about 25 minutes before continuing home (once the traffic was finally flowing again).

I suppose my question is -- does this abuse and reaching the point of that violent chatter indicate that I should now be expecting to replace the clutch, or can those components overheat like that and then continue to be used once they cool down? (i.e. did I kill my clutch completely or only reduce its lifespan by a bit?)

Apologies for the newbie question, but this is just a situation I've not dealt with before so I'm trying to learn.
Have you tried to drive it again since it happened? My guess is you boiled the fluid for the clutch, have you ever changed it or checked it?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
joesstripclub is offline   Reply With Quote