Old 02-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #17
minnerex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 344415
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Spark Silver

Default Having similar problems

I suspect that I have the same issue, 08 wrx @ 67k miles. I've observed the movement of the brake pedal when clutch is depressed. The clutch used to squeak intermittently. Now it makes a pop sound intermittently. I'm also having some issues shifting gears when driving. Based on my extremely limited expertise, the shifting issue has similar symptoms as worn synchros, but I've heard a few people describe similar shifting issues as a result of this firewall weld problem.

Bringing my vehicle in today, dealer has heard of the firewall issue and has fixed a few of them. dealer needs to contact the SOA rep but he said i would likely need to pay for the cost of a new clutch, and then they would pay for the weld fix.

Any advice for getting them to pay full cost? Seems silly to replace the clutch at 67k.

He said that the issue occurs as the clutch wears it begins to put more stress on the welds, causing them to break. I need to find out more about their proposed solution, seems like if they are just rewelding then its going to break again when the new clutch starts to wear out in the future. If the true issue is really a design flaw in the thickness of the firewall (as some posters have indicated) then perhaps I need to look in the class action lawsuit that some others have posted about.

Any advice is appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
minnerex is offline   Reply With Quote