Scooby Guru

Member#: 442
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
I don't know about all of that. I hit cones all the time and I'm not a fast driver. Am I doing something wrong?
It depends on the cones and how they are hit, and by what part of the car (or tire).

If you look at national results of the top 10 finishers, you'll see quite a few cones. Are they 'bad' drivers? No. No one can say they are. But the rankings from the OP could conceivably put a 15th place driver in the rankings ahead of a 10th place driver, when that 15th place driver was clean on 3 runs and the 10th place driver hit 4 cones on their 1st 2 runs.

I guess here's where my problem lies... No driver that was clean in three runs should be ranked higher than someone that finished higher, but with one cone on one run. It just doesn't matter. That slower driver couldn't drive the course "faster" than any driver in front of them, and it doesn't make them a better driver. I would arguably call them a consistently SLOW driver. (No offense... just trying to prove a point).

That's akin to saying the 5th place driver is a better driver than the driver that finished in 4th, or 3rd.

If they were a better driver, they would have beaten the 4th or 3rd place. It didn't happen when it mattered by having a faster final time.

That said, most rally-x events are scored in a cumulative time. You could use that to find out who the best rally-x driver is (the one that hits the fewest cones usually). Auto-x, nope. Only one run matters... your fastest. Can't beat the fast time in front of you? You're a slower driver.

--kC
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote