View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 06:51 PM   #26
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 205568
Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

I did an IAG shortblock swap myself in my '17 STi after ringland failure. I had originally planned on giving the long block and new shortblock to a builder to have him swap everything over, and give me a drop-in ready long block. After lots of research and some peer pressure, I decided to take it on myself. I obtained a copy of the factory service manual which is a MUST if you plan on doing a DIY. Take a few days to look it over and get familiar with the format. Other than that, there is a wealth of information here on NASIOC.

I did it with very few special tools. I ordered some special Company 23 tools (mostly for the timing belt) but everything else was basically normal tools that any gearhead would have.

I have 2500 miles on the new engine so far and its running great. I have a build thread here that outlines some of my progress.

For reference, the most involved mechanical project I've ever done prior to this was a turbo swap on my old WRX. I was intimidated by the idea of it, especially on such a new car, but I just took my time and fell back on the manual and it all honestly went pretty smoothly.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by GravyRobber; 08-10-2019 at 06:00 PM.
GravyRobber is offline   Reply With Quote