Old 09-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #10
JT99
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 177036
Vehicle:
2003 WRX wagon
White

UPDATE:

It has been a slow process, unfortunately. Nothing big getting in the way...just work obligations and two pre-school aged kids at home to help take care. So, my wrench time typically happens after everyone else has gone to bed.

Things went smoothly for the most part until I had trouble with the oil return pipe on the turbo. I simply could not get the hose up on the oil dump pipe far enough.

If you've worked back there, you know how incredibly cramped (almost non-existent) the work space is where this hose/line fits onto the pipe on the engine head. I just couldn't apply enough pressure/resistance to the hose to get it on the turbo as I set it in place on the uppipe. So...I went another route and removed the hose from the head, attached it to the turbo, and then placed my turbo on the uppipe. You'll need some long skinny plyers to get the clip back in place on the bottom.

Maybe this is the way most people do it. Any tutorials I watched/read did not.

So, I got the turbo attached and was ready to rock on. That's when I discovered that the bracket that secured the uppipe to the engine block had one bolt broken off and the other cross threaded, with some damaged threads just shy of tightened down.

Annoying because it was one more thing to slow me down to stop and address. Also annoying because I paid a legit Subie shop to do this engine swap for me a couple years ago, and they had more than likely been the ones to break off that bolt and cross thread the other and didn't remedy it. (I had them swap the catted stock uppipe for a stock STi one.) They also hadn't used NGK plugs, as I specified, assuming they did change the plugs. Little things I'm sure at the time a shop thinks the owner won't know the difference, but the truth eventually gets revealed, lol.

Anyway, the process is slowed considerably when you take into account the time it takes to do a little cleaning and painting along the way. I had planned on painting my intake manifold while I had it off, but hadn't decided on a color. Obviously not red. Green is my favorite color, but I didn't like the bright lime or neon green rattle can offerings. I found this Detroit Diesel Aspen Green color at the local NAPA shop and knew it was the one.

I chose to not paint the TGV portion. I masked off instead. I needed to keep it all intact to simplify getting the whole top part of the engine back together properly. No one is going to be looking close enough to notice anyway.

I was very pleased with the results. I also painted a few other under-hood items to match.

NOTE: I've seen tutorials of this process and people remove the alternator. I did not have to. It is tight getting a couple of your clips plugged back in, but totally doable unless you just have monster paws for hands.

The SteamSpeed turbo inlet hose was, um, a PITA to get onto the turbo. I had two hose tools. I used my wife's hairdryer to warm up the silicone. I used a water based lubricant. I used a lot of angry cuss words/phrases. I do not think it would have been possible to get this thing onto the turbo if the intake manifold had been attached. I did have the hose running through the IM with the IM loose. It may have been easier to attach the hose and then squeeze and snake it through the IM afterwards. I dunno?

ADVICE: When buying a turbo inlet hose, know the external diameter of your turbo's inlet and the internal diameter of the hose's. This stuff does not stretch like I had anticipated it would.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
JT99 is offline   Reply With Quote