View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 10:39 PM   #12
JT99
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 177036
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Vehicle:
2003 WRX wagon
White

Default

Welp, that took a lot longer than I ever expected, lol.

Finally got the WRX back together, running properly, and tuned recently.
Overall, this whole process went smooth enough, but with my lifestyle of two preschool kids, being out of town a lot of weekends, and ongoing house remodeling, it was just slow going with me finding the time to get down in the garage to work...coupled with needing a small part, ordering it, waiting for it come, blah blah blah.

I was uber paranoid about doing everything correctly, so I turned the engine over a little with the new oil supply line unhooked from the turbo. I wanted to have the peace of mind that oil was without question flowing to the turbo. It was, so I attached it to the turbo, then turned the engine over a little to prime the turbo. (Removed the ignition fuse.) This is super easy to do. Please do not skip this important step when replacing your turbo!

The only "headache" I had with the install was getting the y-pipe to fit onto the turbo outlet. The STX 63's outlet outer diameter is a little bigger than the stock TD04 turbo. The Mishimoto y-pipe I bought was a little tighter internal diameter than stock, and so there was no way the two were going to fit. (Trust me--it was beyond just a snug fit.)

What I ended up reluctantly doing was to cut some length off the Mishimoto and fit a 1 3/4" to 2" silicone coupler in there using a piece of aluminum tubing. It seems to work fine, but I will be keeping my eye on it as time goes on.


These are the adapter pieces I bought...twice. The first time I trimmed both pieces a little too much because I had measured and marked without the throttle body coupling on, and it didn't fit the way it should when all put together. So, I bought the pieces again and did the trim-and-fit a second time.



When I finally had everything back together, I started the car and had two CEL codes. Those resulted in my canceling my appointment at the dyno shop. I had used an IM off a different engine because it was in much better shape, at least cosmetically. Had a code for IACV, so I just took that off the previous IM, gave it a cleaning, put it on, and that solved that issue. Other code was for the TGV position sensor, driver's side. I had replaced it for some reason some time earlier, and apparently hadn't pre-loaded it successfully. That was a simple fix. You don't care, probably, but that's part of the story anyway...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by JT99; 01-22-2019 at 12:29 AM.
JT99 is offline   Reply With Quote