Old 02-02-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
subydude
Scooby Guru

Member#: 80649
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
Sparkly

If you're not a noob to autox I would kind of expect you to know about the A052's love for camber and quick heat cycle out issues, especially when used as a DD tire.

I've driven on A052, Rival, RE71R, but not the Falkens (yet). The way they make grip varies, but given the people I know who've tested I'd run the Falken. My A052's were DONE in half the time of the other tires. This was on an EG civic with close to -4 degrees of camber as well and a 205 stretched on a 9 so no pinching or lack of camber.

Even with RWD, I wouldn't choose the A052 unless I had a lot more camber and could run a wider wheel to support the tire. I'd probably pick the Rival or RT660. If budget were key the nod goes to the Falken and if longevity were king I'd take the Rival.

All that said, The A052 will likely generate the highest grip (although it's mostly winning it through longitudinal grip) but have the shortest life. It likes wheel support and a lot of camber, but when it works it is pretty good. Just don't expect more than 50-60 runs competitively on them unless you're supporting it as noted. There's totally people who will get 100+ on a car like you note, but that doesn't mean they were competitive runs. I can totally drive 1-2 seconds off the pace and get way more runs out of my tires. Once supported I've seen upwards of 100-120 competitive runs, but they are falling off after that according to data I've seen.

Conversely, the Falken (and Rival) seem to last longer and generate grip differently. On such a low powered car I'd wager the Rival or Falken would do fine and I know for a fact the Rival is ok being pinched.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote