View Single Post
Old 04-02-2021, 10:56 PM   #3
Mul
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 156171
Vehicle:
2005 FXT RWD

Now that I had that part of the driveline figured out I pushed the FXT out of my garage, onto my friends trailer, and unloaded it over at his 1 bay shop to get into some heavier surgery.

No turning back! Not without a new subframe anyway. I measured and measured and test fit the Nissan rear end up in the space in the sub frame, trimmed away parts that were in the way and used the mount plate from the 240sx rear subframe to get the diff up into the forester.

That barely cleared the fuel tank but a hammer made the needed space a reality. The next problem on the list was the axles and hubs, the nissan ones are much beefier and would not fit into the subaru hubs.

I didn't really want to go through a shop to build custom axles, I explored welding cv shafts together but that seemed not safe or reliable and I would be screwed if I broke one at an event without a common spare part. I decided to try to make the whole nissan axle work with the set up. Without access to a lathe or anything I didn't think i would be able to make the nissan hubs fit in the subaru rear bearing so I got to searching the interweb and found V8wrx's website. There was weld it yourself kit for the v8 swap guys to do exactly what i was trying to do so I ordered the kit and went about finding the rest of the parts i would need. The kit uses mustang cobra rear brake parts and some other bits most i was able to find at the u pull it yard again SCORE! the other stuff I picked up online. Once the plates showed up I assembled them and got welding. Painted them gloss black and put
everything together on the car.

A very important part was still missing, I measured for a drive shaft and contacted The Drive Shaft Shop to get a custom driveshaft ordered. While that was in the works I worked on some other stuff on the car like a FMIC, an External gate for the noise (duh), and a fire extinguisher

Also picked up some used bcracing coilovers and new lateral arms to make alignment adjustments easier. Along with that a set of wheels off of a friends brz, staggered fitment with 255 rear and 235 fronts to daily drive on.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Mul; 04-02-2021 at 11:22 PM.
Mul is offline   Reply With Quote