Scooby Newbie

Member#: 528403
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
22' Clad-RX
17' F250 Diesel, 18' Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
LOL seriously? Maybe look into a little company called Toyota and their hybrid technology. Ever heard of a Prius? They have been around 20+ years now and no you don't replace the hybrid battery every 3-5 years, most Prius's don't show significant degradation and have been running for hundreds of thousands of miles. From what I can tell the average Prius battery lasts 8-10 years and around 150K miles and costs $2-4K to replace. Of course there are always exceptions just like with ICE cars who have their engine grenade after a few hundred miles.

But the sky is not falling. It will be okay.
And yet, the Prius is not an EV. Its a Combustion vehicle. It Relies on combustion. You're also missing the cost and size of battery cells in your comparison. 95 cells in a prius. 800-900 4680 cells in the new Model Y. The size between is both incomparable. Costs 10-12k before fees taxes and install labor. Which means, EV's will still remain favorable for those of us in the high tax bracket, because you are going to attach that extended warranty onto your purchase for piece of mind. And just with what happened in Texas and the current capacity of city grids, our infrastructure is behind. My own sister has already experienced Multiple brown outs this summer in Sacramento, via SMUD, the city utilities corp. Ive been a Toyota Service Advisor. I have plenty of memory of the problems with Prius's. I do not think highly of them, even some aspects of the newer gen 4Runners are not high on my list.
A commenter brought up a great point as well on TheDrive website:

"The fact is that you can recycle anything, but most of the time it is not going to be done if it is not profitable. We know how to recycle electronics, but in real life it ends somewhere in a dump on the coast of Africa, burned by disadvantaged people in open air to recover some metal. Ditto for textile that is the same way is sent to third world pretending it is a "charity" and ends up in open air dumps.
The same is for cars. Many salvage titled cars are already sent to third world for repair or rather to junkyards. Now imagine they have traction batteries with significant disposal cost. They will be sent to Africa 100% to avoid disposal cost, pretending it is for legitimate second-hand use, but most of them will have no significant use there, as old cell phones don't."

We're talking millions of metric tons of Lithium Batteries by 2030-2040, with a world that is not as advanced nor environmentally conscious like 1st World countries, not disposing of these batteries correctly.

Actual reality, and Human action, is entirely different from a projection typed out on a piece of paper.

https://driving.ca/column/motor-mout...ation_with_ads
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Russ_G93 is offline   Reply With Quote