View Single Post
Old 04-17-2001, 06:58 AM   #3
SoobyNewbie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3037
Unhappy

I don't know if this helps or not, but in my 2001 forester (also auto), I have the same thing happen to me going up a long grade at about 65mph in 3rd gear, around 4000rpm. It just levels out, and no matter how much I let-up and then stomp on the gas it won't accelerate or downshift again. Sometimes it will gradually drop back to 50-55mph, *then* downshift and accelerate back up. If I get a "running start", i.e., approach the hill over 70mph it can sustain 70-75mph with no problem. This is driving through the rockies at ~8000 feet so there's probably a lower "levelling" off point here.

The dealer said it's normal, that the engine just doesn't have enough power to accelerate all four wheels at that point... I told him my fiance's saturn (also auto, with way less hp) accelerates better than that up the same hills, and again he said it's because of the extra power needed for awd vs 2wd.

Sorry for the long post, but this is my main gripe about the car, and since I got it specifically because I thought it would be better suited to mountain driving, it's pretty annoying. Maybe someone's found a way around it...? (short of trading in for a 5-speed )
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SoobyNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote