Scooby Newbie

Member#: 320547
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2013 STi Hatch
PBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaz904 View Post

It's not just the snow. Summer tires shouldn't be run on dry pavement when it's colder than 40 degrees. The rubber is too hard, and traction is severely diminished.
This is actually one of my biggest dilemmas with the car. The stock tires are atrocious by all standards so I'll definitely swap them out pretty much right away. But the question is to what. I live in the Bay Area so cold/snow is not an issue at all, but close enough to Lake Tahoe that a trip or two there a year is likely, though I haven't been during the winter in a few years. So, get the Michelin super sports, which IMO are the best tires you can put on this car, or get all seasons that will give me a bit more piece of mind for the 4-6 days a year I might encounter cold/snow? The Bridgestone pole positions a/s look pretty good, and would be a huge upgrade over the dunlops so I would probably be happy with them. But I am a big Michelin fan (swapped the goodyears on my g35 for the ps2 and it was like a different car) and would love the super sports the other 360 days a year. But even if I don't go to the snow I'd like to know I can if I want to. The practical side of me says I could always just rent an SUV for that weekend or two, giving more space for gear anyway, but I know you guys know that feeling of "I want to drive MY car"...

Anyone else face a similar dilemma? If so, how did you handle it and how happy are you with the decision?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Meeno is offline   Reply With Quote