Old 09-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #25
rexex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 458589
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
17 STI

Emissions
They'll snail mail you when you're due for an emission inspection; you don't need to keep track yourself. When you get the notice, you will have several months to get it done. Many locations to choose from. They will plug a scanner into your OBDII port and check to make sure everything is right. They also look under your car with a mirror to make sure you haven't removed or modified your cats.

Window tint:
I recommend Absolute performance window tinting in Sykesville: this is the best of the best in my opinion if you are willing to pay. They do tints for a lot of businesses in the Baltimore area. Even the city paid them to tint and wrap their buses. I've gotten two recent cars tinted here (1 being the STI) with the highest quality, most expensive tint (Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle) and the work has been flawless. Not a single microscopic bubble anywhere. I would recommend getting the tints done in the winter time where you can get pretty good discounts. You can get side windows and back window tinted but windshield is not allowed. If you are going for totally legal 35%, then you need to specify to them that you want that because the factory windows are slightly tinted. They'll probably use a tool to make sure the total percentage comes out to 35%.

Other things:
- My STI and previous car were tinted at true 35% window tint, meaning the actual percentage is actually lower than that if a cop used a tool to measure. I've been driving in the area for the past decade and never got a ticket for tint even with loud exhausts and that silly wing. I've also had my family's cars tinted at true 35% and they have never been pulled over for tint. That being said, if you do get pulled over, I suggest you roll down all your windows, especially at night.

- Ah yes, Speeding:
- If you get pulled over for speeding <30 mph over the speed limit you can either plead guilty and have points automatically assigned, thereby raising your insurance rates or you can go to court. If you find yourself in this position, I highly recommend you go to court: Maryland frequently gives out something called probation before judgement for simple speeding citations. This means no points on your record but you will probably have to pay the fine and court costs.
- If you get pulled over for speeding >30 mph the speed limit, you are going to face automatic 5 points on your license if you plead guilty, as well as astronomical rises in insurance rates or getting kicked off your insurance coverage. You also will need to take a very inconvenient driver's improvement course otherwise you're license will be suspended. If you find yourself in this position, HIRE A LAWYER and go to court. The court will lower the convicted speed or even give you probation before judgement (yes this really does happen).
If you have other previous serious driving infractions on your record like DUI or reckless driving, PBJ is much much less likely to happen.

Also, if you are driving in Virginia, don't speed.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by rexex; 09-20-2017 at 12:53 PM.
rexex is offline   Reply With Quote