Scooby Guru

Member#: 88501
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by georhey View Post
Thanks chimchim, I'm definitely just looking at keeping it a daily driver and just add some improvement to the way the car handles. Not looking to track the car much. I'd be good with the 22mm rears which is what I'm thinking of picking up, just wanted to confirm my thoughts. I'm currently riding on stock suspension. I'd like to go with the sways first and feel out the handling improvements before I do springs and struts. Thanks for your response!
I'm not sure you really want to go with a fixed 22mm. This is very similar to setup #3 that appears in the OP:

Quote:
3) 22mm front / 24mm rear 02-07
Here is another combo that only applies to 02-07 cars. It may seem like an odd combination, but it is a combination that has been proven in street tire autocross. I'd only recommend a combination like this for cars that are using stiff coilovers. The rear bar will help make the car rotate while the soft front bar will work in conjunction with stiffer springs to provide the best overall grip possible. This is an ideal setup for the intricate low speed turns in autocross.
For reasons beyond the scope of this post, having matching sized sway bars is approximately the "neutral" point for our cars. As the rear becomes stiffer (ie your 21mm front / 22mm rear setup) you bias the car weight transfer characteristic towards oversteer. This is highly desirable in autox (as Cygnus mentioned) but less desirable on the street where you have to emergency brake suddenly because a moron changed lanes in front of you on a curved road without looking. There's another thread that talks about roll stiffness as bars get thicker (every mm is a significant change). So a bias towards oversteer is probably not what you want.

So... a better bet would be to find a OEM 20mm rear or 21mm rear (if available). Probably would save you money too, as they'd be take offs.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote