Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #108
robtmc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 23659
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sport Wagon
Platinum Silver

FYI, after examining the BFM cables, seeing no way they would work as a 1.3 (at least with early WRX years), went ahead and bought the parts to make my own from the 1.3 schematic. Major difference is the OBD L line is talking to the DTR/DSR serial lines separately, where the BFM like a Vag attempts to do both K and L comms through the TX/RX lines. Suspect there is something sent over the L line that cannot work with the cheap cables since DTR/DSR are not connected to anything.

Even though the schematics are free, you can't make a duplicate of the 1.3 and sell them. Patented. So there seem to be two choices for early WRX guys: buy the real thing or make your own.

While waiting for the parts, saw member skibbz had a Tacktrix 1.3 for sale. Snapped it just to be thorough, got it today. Had to revamp the drivers to make sure it was using the Tacktrix stuff and not the FTDI from earlier attempts with the Vag-com thing. Now it shows up as a Tactix 1.3 Subaru in the lower right hand of the Ecuflash window. Still have Ecuflash 1.29a loaded, though this should work with a clean install of 1.42.

Went out the the garage just now, connected the test wires, started Ecuflash and stepped through until the "turn key on and hit ok". No special clever timing, just key on and OK. Connected instantly and dumped the ROM. Total time from ripping open the package to ROM saved was maybe 2 hours, most of which was driver purging and making sure all was in order, on a desktop and the laptop.

All this thrashing around so many have with the BFM/Vag-com stuff (including me), and the correct circuit works painlessly. I knew this would work, just gratifying to see it through after hours of poring over circuits and old posts.

Will be interesting to see if my home built, with FTDI EEPROM loaded with the 1.3 info (minor changes, TXD and DTR inverted) works. Know I need 1.29a to avoid the ID check, big deal. No reason it will not work, just maybe not be pretty like the real thing.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by robtmc; 02-23-2011 at 01:03 AM.
robtmc is offline   Reply With Quote