Scooby Newbie

Member#: 331332
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2014 Camry SE V6
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
So under normal driving conditions (not bad weather) how can you even tell the difference? From test driving both manual and CVT imprezas I can't even tell it's an AWD vehicle so I would def have a hard time differentiating the different types of AWD systems they have.

What will the difference in performance be with bad driving conditions? Both systems appear to be able to direct the power where it's needed. I wonder if one of those bluetooth OBD II scanners can read what the CVT transmission is doing (since it is electronic after all).

I didn't start this thread as a war between which transmission people choose. I started it to see if other people noticed some slight weirdness with the 5MT on this car and if yes if they've grown accustomed to it and are happy with the car.
I never drove the CVT, so I don't know if I would be able to tell the difference in dry conditions, all I know is that the front tires are doing less work with manual transmission equipped Imprezas. There is a finite amount of traction available from the front tires, they handle the majority if the steering duties, and with the CVT, the majority of the engine braking/acceleration duties as well. In a corner, with the front tires loaded (car is in gear), the threshold where the front tires break loose and the car starts to understeer should be lower with the CVT vs the manual.

With snow on the ground, the 50/50 system doesn't have to think about anything, it just does it.

As far as any weirdness with the manual/clutch, I haven't noticed any.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
nels0300 is offline   Reply With Quote