Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Member#: 60082
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

I'm curious how you're going to get more low end torque. It seems like you're already pushing the setup for the most part unless you run something exotic. You might be better off with a gearing change maybe to put the power where it needs to be.

2-3 seconds might be a bit conservative. I'm just a casual driver and not even a track person, but I can readily tell how much time Tarzan is off the throttle when I expect him to be on it and how much he's fighting the car. There is a big lack of confidence that shows through with how little of the course space he's using and how cautiously he's driving the car. He might be better with the current hardware if he could adjust his style some and spend extra time working around the quirks, but that's a matter of adapting to and hiding the the car's faults. I can only assume the setup is relatively new to him. Even with a bad setup a person can learn to drive it very fast given enough time and a little muscle memory.

I'm curious why he wanted more front end torque. For the infrequent times he's actually hard on the throttle in a corner, he isn't counter steering to correct the rear end. In some cases, he seems to even add a little more turn in(but in some cases, the rear does kick out). I'm curious if that desire would go away once the oversteer of the handling is reduced some. I think it would more so correct itself out. I kind of see on throttle (torque split) and off throttle(brake bias) handling balance as secondary steps after the suspension handling is sorted out. Then again, Tarzan has specific goals with the car and may want certain functional goals when on throttle, off throttle, and braking, and that's what's needed to achieve that goal. That's sort of the problem with drivers. Everyone drives different. You adapt the car to the driver or the driver adapts to the car.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote