View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
Subby2.5i
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338792
Default EJ257 with EJ253 SOHC

Well time to start the hybrid build
Last winter I took on the project of boosting my 2007 2.5i N/A
After swapping out everything from cross-members, to the fuel system to building my own rotated setup its time to look for more power. I like challenges and doing what people say you can't, so please keep the negative comments to yourself
As of now, I picked up a 2005 STI EJ257 short block from a buddy of mine. I plan on swapping over the EJ253 SOHC heads on to the STI short block…
Ive been digging around and trying to research around but keep stumbling on very little information. I found one member on here who said him and his wife were both running this setup and were very pleased with the results. (Im hoping he will chime in on this!)
From what I've read the SOHC heads actually flow with boost quite nicely.
From what I've read:
Near equal to or slightly better flow below 5500 rpm than DOHC heads
Less reciprocating weight therefore faster spool time
Smaller passages for increased port velocity (why they fall off after 5500)

Im basically looking for some input on this. Does anyone have an experience with this? While the heads were off I was thinking about sending the cam over to Delta for a regrind which I have heard they do very nice work! However I heard a regrind can 'throw off the flow'

As of now Im running a rotated TD-05 18G, STI header, custom up-pipe, custom down pipe with a SRS catback ( Upgrading the catback to a turbo-XS or COBB) Boomba fuel rails, 440 injectors, walbaro 255 fuel pump, Aermotive FPR, Turbo-XS front mount, Dyno tune by EFI Logics, and a HKS SSQV blow off valve.

Ill be doing some more upgrades to support the motor as well. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Subby2.5i is offline   Reply With Quote