Old 08-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

Default How To: 2002-2007 foglight mod (clean - no butcher job)

Parts needed (RadioShack or N/K/A: "The Shack"):
*Small package of self-tapping ("vampire") connectors, in red (for 18-22 gauge wire).

*Small package of male & female bullet connectors, in red (for 18-22 gauge wire).

*A length of 18-gauge wire (say with yellow insulation shielding) about 6-inches long. Just buy a small spool of stranded copper wire.

REMOVAL/INSTALLATION:

NOTE: it is recommended that you put all of the items you remove in your trunk or cargo area to keep them out of the way while doing your work.

Step 1: remove coin box from driver's side lower dash cover.

Step 2: remove driver's side lower dash cover, one side clip fastener and two screws at the lower part - all phillips type.

Step 3: unplug switches AND unplug the OBD-II connector from the lower dash panel and move the panel completely out of the way.

Step 4: remove 10mm nut from top of fuse box:

Step 5: gently release two clips on either lower side of fuse box and then pull fuse box out toward you to clear the metal bracket, then downward a bit to have room to access the relay block, which is to the right of the fuse box:

Step 6: using a long-nose pliers, gently compress each of the three 'clips' that hold the fuse board to the side of the metal bracket - use a little sidewards pressure to keep any of the now unfastened clips from refastening:

Step 7: move relay block to the right very slightly, then downward to gain access to the back where the wires are:

NOTE / REFERENCE: the third relay up from the bottom is for the foglamps

Step 8: locate the RED WIRE WITH GREEN STRIPE - this is the trigger wire that turns the relay on and off.

IF YOU HAVE A 2002 TO 2004 OR 2005, YOU WILL (MORE-THAN-LIKELY) HAVE TO CUT THIS WIRE.

IF YOU HAVE A 2005 OR DEFINITELY A 2006 AND PROBABLY A 2007 MODEL, YOU CAN EFFECTIVELY UNLOCK THE TERMINAL FROM THE RELAY BLOCK FOR THIS WIRE AND NOT HAVE TO CUT IT, BUT TO MAKE THIS WORK YOU WOULD HAVE TO GET A LOCK-TYPE FEMALE TERMINAL TO PLUG INTO THE RELAY BLOCK THAT WOULD BE ATTACHED TO YOUR NEW 'YELLOW' WIRE THAT YOU'RE GOING TO USE.

THIS IS DUE TO A DESIGN CHANGE TO THE RELAY BLOCK.

Cut this wire approximately 2-inches from the back of the relay block AND install a crimp-on male bullet connector.

Install a crimp-on female bullet connector to the other side of the wire that was just cut - this is the "car side" Why? Because if for some reason you want to restore the foglamps to their original set-up, you can. Also, you don't want a live circuit hanging out behind the dash as well.

You can see the red wire with the green stripe in this picture:

If you look at the picture above, you'll see the vampire clip that I have that is wrapped with orange colored electrical tape. The wire that I tapped into is an "ignition only" switched wire. This is the first relay position up. That wire is GREEN WITH A WHITE STRIPE. This is the starter interlock relay, which means it only works when the car is running/igntion is on. It will not work with the key in the accessory or off position.

What does this mean? It means that when the car is running, I can have my foglights on at anytime. I shut the car off and the foglights go off.

REVERSE ORDER TO REINSTALL.

Happy Motoring!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote