Old 10-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #21
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2020 Goodbye
#fakeleader

You have to compare specific years and models to gain any insight for manual vs CVT for say 0-60 times. With Subarus, the gearing is typically different with CVTs geared for low RPM high gear highway driving which makes MPG better but acceleration worse.

Newer Subaru CVTs seem to have become more reliable. The claim that just a valve body needs to be replaced in CVTs to repair......uh......maybe, but if you ask a Subaru dealer how to repair a slipping CVT (what mine had), they answer a complete transmission replacement for $8000. Fortunately, mine was under warranty so I paid nothing.

*Some* auto versions are faster. Certainly dual clutch transmissions with similar gearing will be faster and in sports car racing (ALMS, LM and the like), cars have run first sequentials then dual clutchs for decades because the shifts are faster and are done flat footed. But when Turner is done with a race weekend, they can tear down the transmission and bring it back to new before the next race. In "real world" applications, dual clutches are not good. Audi has moved away from them, back to traditional autos. Ford's fiasco of the dual clutch in Focus and Festiva has cost them hundreds of millions of dollars and is a huge failure.

All this said, my 3 Subarus represent all of the transmission options. We still have our 13 with a replaced CVT (known as a total garbage transmission) with 60k on the replaced CVT and 113k on the car. My 19 Crosstrek with a 6MT is wonderful, though with the low gearing, it is whining out in 6th at highway speed. The wife has a 17 Legacy and the CVT feels like a "normal auto" to me.

"in theory", one tranny might be better. I really don't care when the theory fails and the dash becomes a christmas tree and requires an $8000 replacement.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote