Old 07-15-2014, 01:49 AM   #3
jonser
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 146860
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX->STi->s202
Multi

Thanks for the info. I took the leap of faith and did my swap this weekend/today. It's finished now, full STi rear setup. What I was able to keep from the existing setup was the parking brake cable/lever setup and the cradle/subframe. That's it. Everything else came from a JDM v7. So, bugeye to bugeye, but it's in, works, fits, and drives. I'm using old rotors and pads and have a squeaking coming at random times, and am hoping it's that. I will be going over everything again and re-torquing this weekend and inspecting. Hopefully stuff just needs to seat itself and break in. All said and done though, 1 1/2 days of work with very minimal help, only to bleed the brakes and tighten axle nuts, and help aligning the diff and raising with 2 jacks.
I did it a sort of different way, as I couldn't get the long bolt hub side for the lateral links off, so I had to keep everything together and install the diff, then axles into the diff, and then fandangle everything together working with the axles in the hub, then starting diff side and working my way out, with the non adjustable lateral link first... It's a real pain to get that bolt in with the axle in the diff, but it's possible. Otherwise, I'd say take out the long bolt and remove the hub with the lateral links and trailing arm installed, then you can just do the axle and reinstall jus the hub... Wasn't possible for me, but it worked non the less. I ended up using an STi driveshaft this time around, but you can reuse the wrx one if need be. I've done it both ways now.

To clarify: it's a v7 JDM full swap into an 03 USDM WRX sedan. Same bodies, so everything fits. Front hubs are interchangeable, as I have one from each on right now. Rear subframe can house the STi swap, and I DID reside existing parking cables. All said and done, drove home with no issues, no binding, no grinding, no clunking, and lots of stopping power. Hoo-rah to some determination and a few nuts and bolts.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jonser is offline   Reply With Quote