Scooby Guru

Member#: 15341
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2012 Borderline Pro
Photographer of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchell1309 View Post
I apologize before hand for a slight thread jack here, but there seems to be a great number of amateur and professional photographers that frequent this thread.

I have been watching camera deals unfold since Black Friday. I have found this deal and I was wondering would this be a good opportunity for a newbie to jump into the DSLR game?

$600 - Canon EOS Rebel T4i Digital Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Kit

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...REBEL_T4I.html

I have previously only owned point and shoots but really want to pick up a new hobby. I have always wanted to get into photography but never had the time or money to do so.

Now that I am out of college I have a bit more time and can spare the cash to get into the game. So overall, is this a good "starter kit" for an inexperienced newbie?

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCORWRX View Post
I would say yes, that is a good starter kit. I have the T2i and it has been a great camera for the price, however I wish it had the option of the swiveling screen that the T4i has. The automatic settings make it very noob friendly and it has all the manual setting abilities so as you learn more you can advance with this camera.

With the right glass it is a great camera. I traveled to Alaska this summer and rented a 100x300 L series for the trip. Paired up with the crop sensor of the T2i I was able to capture some pretty amazing (imho) wildlife shots. I have done everything from automotive shoots to weddings to your standard landscapes, though with far less success than some of the others in this thread.

I think the post from rzimm above is very much related to your question. It's not the camera that takes good pictures, it's the photographer. ANY camera can produce a work of art, in the right hands. With that in mind I would say the T4i is a great start to get into the world of dslr.

Fellow noob and Canon fan,
T
This advice is very sound. My only addition to this advice would be to go to a camera store and try it out. See how it fits in your hands and if the controls make sense. There's no point in getting a camera that you won't be comfortable using. At the entry level, you won't really notice a huge difference in quality between most, if not all, of the DSLRs available at this price range, so it's worth seeing if a different camera works better for you ergonomically. I think I've said it a few times before on this thread that one of the main reasons I started with Nikon and stuck with it because it fit my hands better.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Verdugo is offline   Reply With Quote