Member#: 767
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 FXT
20 OB Onyx XT

Default The NASIOC Oil Selection Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad11591 View Post
But that's from the Fa20. Idk how worried I should be about warranty claims. For the last WRX I had Castrol edge and t6 based on season, never had issues. I liked 0w-40 Castrol better tbh. my OCI was about 4500.

I'm probably going to run that since it's getting cooler and cooler in NJ at night. I get that Subaru want's to make sure that they are providing warranties on engines/transmissions for the right reasons, but worst case scenario I get ringland and they see I'm using Castrol with the recommended OCI, they can actually deny the claim?

Oh STI! I know there are some EJ owners running ACEA C3 oils, which have a similar additive package and viscosity as the RMV, but the EJ’s do like thicker oils IMO.

As to warranty that’s a tough call. The manual does show 5W-40 on the oil temp chart and also has language that thicker oil is required in hot temps. Personally, I don’t think my dealer would give me any hassles if I were in your shoes, and they have gone to bat for me with SoA on a claim, but it depends on your dealer. I was using German Castrol 0W-30 at the time.

Castrol is a light 40 grade and likely shears to a 30 grade in most turbocharged Subaru’s anyway.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote