Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #317
hinoki01
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 182942
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Impreza Wag
Aspen White

I couldn't agree more.
My first Subaru, I was well on the way to going to 400 HP. Was just about to do the turbo swap and final round of upgrades before loss of work, and I had to sell it.

During the interim, I drove an underpowered Protege5 that'd lived most of it's life at the red-line on a track. Loved the hell out of that car, and it taught me that while it's fun being able to set the road on fire on a straight run... it's a lot MORE fun taking 30mph curves at Retard Speed.

This time around.. sure, I'm doing the up and down-pipe. Getting rid of the Cat north of the turbo.. that's a no brainer. Squeezing a little more out of it with the downpipe.. stands to reason. Mating that to the stock 3rd cat and rear exhaust to stealth it a bit.. San Jose cops are getting cranky about non-stock exhausts.. and I admit I'm enough of a treehugger to not want to go catless.

No.. this car, I'm going for suspension, handling, and precision. BC inverted coil-overs, Corrin sub-frame brace, aluminum control arms, Perrin rear subframe/diff lockdown kit. Cobb swaybars. This time through, I'm going all suspension. Get the car to where it handled like that Protege5 did, and she'll be just fine by me.

And I've already signed up for track driving classes to learn how to drive the mini-monster I'm building. I won't be the fastest Subie.. but I'll be having fun and the car and I will be matched in terms of capability and ability.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
hinoki01 is offline   Reply With Quote