Scooby Newbie

Member#: 390434
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
WRB

Question Trading in a car with mods? 2007 WRX

Hey Nasioc,

Long time lurker here. I'm in Southern California. I've had my 07 WRX since 2013, and I'm finally thinking of moving on. It's pretty beaten up on the outside though. It has 125k miles.

Fading clear coat on the roof and spoiler, curb rash, broken front and rear bumper clips, missing fender liner on one side, random scratches and dings throughout the body. Would these be worth fixing before selling/trading it? I'm afraid the money I put in to fix it will put a huge dent in whatever I'd get back for it.

Being my first car, it's been through a lot. I never got around to fixing the cosmetic issues because I've always just focused on maintenance things. Changed the clutch out once, periodically change oil/fluids and brake pads myself. Other than that, the car has been running great.

I haven't added any modifications to it, but the previous owner did. Upon purchasing it, I had no idea the car was not smog ready (the guy had already smogged it and paid the tags for the year) so I didn't find out until the year after. He left me with the stock exhaust and downpipe, but it wasn't enough to pass smog because he also installed a non CARB legal intake along with a FMIC. I've been getting it smogged by a guy I know who turns a blind eye for the right price... but I don't want to deal with that anymore!

Mods I am aware of:
  • CAI
  • FMIC
  • 2005 STI Turbo w/SPT heatshield
  • walbro fuel pump
  • swaybars
  • short throw shifter
  • prodrive exhaust
  • Cobb accessport with a tune from a local shop (I've visited the shop to confirm this)

I've read a lot online that dealers will not take a car with a ton of mods, so what would my best option be? Is it even legal to sell a car that won't pass smog? I can't help but feel the guy who sold it to me pretty much ****ed me in terms of that. I'd feel bad about selling it to someone knowing it won't pass because of the intake. I don't really want to go back to stock either, though, I don't exactly have the time and money to invest in that, if I'd be taking a loss on the car anyways.

Sorry for typing a huge essay, but my main tl;dr points are:
  1. I want to sell this car because I'm planning to get a new one soon.
  2. If I want to sell this car, what would be the best way to do so?
  3. Should I try trading it in to the dealer?
  4. Would parting out be worth it? (Although I don't know how to take the parts off of the car, is that how people usually do parting out?)

Thanks for reading
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
LH_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote