Metzenw
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 351532
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
96 Impreza Coupe
Blue

Well, got my car running last night.
A friend of mine had a set of K heads. I adjusted the valve lash on the heads. Shim Under Bucket. Used a surface grinder to adjust the thickness.

The engine turns out has Cosworth pistons from an EJ205 installed. Unlike the EJ20G Pistons which are said to protrude above the block deck by .020ish" the EJ205's sit about .005" below. So I reassembled the engine with EJ205 headgaskets. This brought the heads in closer and the EJ20G manifold wouldn't bolt up. So I drilled the holes in the manifold out by .020" from 9mm (.354") to .375 to get the manifold to line up.

The Timing belt tensioner is Almost at the max stroke, and the cam timing didn't line up perfectly. But the engine fired right up.

Everything runs great, has more lower end power then the G heads. I threw a Tomei Equal length manifold on. Really changes the exhaust. When the snow clears I'll do a video of the exhaust sound between my 05 WRX and this car. Which both have the exact same exhaust.

This will be my last plunge with Phase 1, stuff is getting too hard to source. Phase 2 stuff is Everywhere.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Metzenw is offline   Reply With Quote