Scooby Newbie

Member#: 110270
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
WR BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
The Golf R is a better Daily Driver in every conceivable and measurable category. It has better seats, better materials, more room inside, better ride quality, better stereo, more advanced keyless features, better MPG, lower price tag, and a solid build feel.

The STI is a more focused track car, whose limits are higher than the golfs in braking and acceleration.

Stepping back, I only do about 2 to 3 track days a year, and they are just purely for fun. The last time I went I took my 2011 WRX and completely destroyed the stock brakes in 20 minutes. The STI and Golf R will probably not have that issue.

So again, tomorrow I get the keys to a Golf R, and shortly after a complete comprehensive review will follow.

Having an APR tuning shop 20 minutes from my house does not hurt either...

STay tuned for a golf R review!
congrats on your new golf r. i went with a buddy of mine to see one up close at our local dealership here in houston (he has a 2011 gti). i have a 2011 wrx limited.

for the record, there is more room up front on the wrx (shoulder, leg) and more shoulder room in the back with the wrx. plus there's more overall volume of room in the wrx/sti.

the salesman said they were getting avg of 22-23mpg combined city/highway. i get about 23/24 mpg on my wrx so i think gas mileage is not that much of an advantage.

the length on the wrx/sti is much longer too (about 15") so the golf looks up close looks tiny, about the size of a ford fiesta.

my friends gti was having some electric issues (turn signal) already...i have a 2001 passat and my electric seats are dead so i we have issues.

in the end, the golf looks great but making the jump from a loaded gti to a golf r wasn't enough for my buddy. at 36k the golf doesn't put out enough imho. good luck!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.