Scooby Guru

Member#: 338329
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannarally89 View Post
sorry if I missed it, but why wouldn't you keep the OEM wheels for a winter/ all season set up?
Ideally that would be the route most would go. However, after being in the car world for many years I've realized I don't get the full benefit of having separate summer and winter wheels. I drive like a grandma for the most part, but once in a while do some sprinted drives. I ran all seasons on a few sets of wheels on my previous WRX and had a hard time differentiating the differences between a dedicated summer tire and proper all season tire. Yes, I know there are differences. However, the car is driven on the street 100% of the time. It doesn't see any track time and there isn't any place on the street where I would be getting the full benefit of summer tires.

Having 1 set that can do it all is extremely appealing to me. No swapping of wheels each season or worrying when the temp is going to dip below 40 degrees for good. I just have a hard time justifying the price of having 2 sets of wheels when an STI on stock power isn't anything to write home about. It's quick for the most part, but it isn't anything that you needed dedicated summers for. A really good all season is more capable than you think.

I remember I took a buddy out in my WRX that was stage 1+ on michelin A/S 3's. Took him on a spirited drive to show him what the car was capable of. We both drove/drive m3's and have had our experience in some serious cars before. He was floored by the grip and overall handling of the car. I had other supporting mods (coils, sways, etc.), but the all seasons performed higher than any of our expectations. At that moment I said I wouldn't buy a summer tire again unless I was doing autox or tracking.

Just my own personal opinion and years and years of experience. Would I enjoy having 2 sets? Of course I would. But I just don't find the need for it in my use of the car.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote