Old 11-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
RocketFoot
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 508477
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Rally Blue

Default Replacing an JDM EJ205 in a 2004 WRX...Looking for guidance and part number help.

So, my son bought a 2004 WRX with a JDM EJ205 wired to US ECU already swapped in. He drove it home 200 miles and the timing belt snapped in our driveway! Took it to a shop and confirmed catastrophic engine damage so we are going to buy another JDM EJ205 from Dallas JDM Motors.

I have a fairly well appointed garage with engine stand and engine lift so we are going to attempt to replace the dead engine on a limited BUDGET!

With the engine replacement figured out, we need to get a few other things ordered up...and we could use some tips & tricks from those who are more knowledgeable on these WRX's than we are! LOL!

1. Timing Kit? Looking for something inexpensive but bulletproof!

2. OEM Replacement style clutch: I am eyeing up a Duralast clutch from Autozone for under $200 but the one that crosses with the Amazon clutch kits says it fits a 2.5 engine? Does anyone know what Exedy OEM part number will work with the 2.0 Turbo? My search says FJK1006 would be a good choice? AZ changes it to NU31365 which I can get for way less than it shows in the link...but again, it doesn't specify the EJ205 engine??

3. Gasket kit for all the stuff that needs attached to the long block?

I'd like to use this thread as a help thread for our project as it progresses...again, any help, tips, guidance, etc...is GREATLY appreciated! In case you missed our intro thread...here are some pics of the blue bomber! 2004 WRX with 2006 front clip swap.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by RocketFoot; 11-21-2019 at 04:17 PM.
RocketFoot is offline   Reply With Quote