View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #11
scottawilloughby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 509190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralight123 View Post
OK, my 2018 Impreza Premium (pretty basic really) model need new tires.

I live in the mountains of Southern California - 36 miles round trip each time I go to work etc - lots of curvy roads. There is about 2 weeks worth of snow driving per year but when there is snow, we do need the traction as a pretty high priority if there is a huge difference between two tires. I do also drive pretty aggressively not on the gas up hill, but on the cornering when I let gravity take over going downhill.

I can get either the Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack (relatively new model) that is V rated with 80,000 miles.

OR

I can get the Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS that is W rated with 50,000 miles warranty for $140 less for a set of 4.

Which would you advice that I get?

My guess is that the cheaper Potenza may corner better, stop in dry condition better, but also give less gas mileage and ride harsher. Given the reduction in gas mileage (if accurate) and lower thread wear, the Potenza will cost me more per mile. But if the driving performance will be noticeably better, it may we worth it given that there is a $140 savings right at the beginning. I will have to change tires more often.

But I'm not sure about my observation and hence, asking you 'pros' here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Honestly, I would best bet would be to go with your style of driving. Speed rating mainly for the temperature of the tires
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
scottawilloughby is offline   Reply With Quote