Scooby Newbie

Member#: 112450
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 Silver Bug-eye
30 mpg 2000 Neon...Hi!

Default Tony's 2.5 Hybrid Swap Thread

Hey all,

I know it's been done a hundred times before, but I'm going to start a thread running through by 2.5 SB/2.0 head hybrid swap into my '02 bugeye WRX. Here, I'll post some pics of my progress, ask questions when they arise and answer any questions anyone has.

Brief background: My car is an '02 that I got in May of 2001. I've accumulated 83,176 miles on it, the last 20K or so with a VF30, pink injectors and AP off-the-shelf mapping. I've autocrossed my car for two seasons now and been out to Summit Point Friday at the Track a couple of times.

I've had some persistant CELs and recently sent my oil to Blackstone for analysis. The guy told me that "frankly, I'm shocked your car is still running." (50x normal lead and 30x normal iron content) Of course, at this point, I have 1/2 of a car payment left on my loan.

Rather than throwing in the towel, trading in the car and starting over with another money pit...er, I mean tuner car, I've decided to go with a Stage One SB from Gruppe-S, 264 cams and a TD06-20G. I have turned wrenches before (almost everything on my car), but am i by no means a pro. I have a daily driver, so my car will be parked over at my parent's house for the next couple of weeks.

Major drivetrain components:
-Gruppe-S Stage 1 SB with forged pistons
-Factory 2.0L heads with Helix 264 cams and springs
-Modded blue injectors
-Wallbro FP (installed)
-Perrin turbo-back (installed)
-DB TD06-20G
-Perrin Big MAF (installed after breakin at tuners)
-Cobb AP Protune
-PDX 500

My goal is to make it to the WDCR Subaru Challenge in September with 380-400 WHP and near stock spool. This includes break-in and tuning, with a bit of time to make sure everything is running ok before the event.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, so thanks a bunch in advance.

Tony

CLIFF NOTES: Bearings on the stock 2.0 are gone. Will swap in 2.5 SB with 2.0 heads, 264 cams and swap out VF30 for TD06-20G. I've done more mundane wrench-turning, but may need a bit of help.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by mokujin22; 07-03-2006 at 09:24 AM.
mokujin22 is offline   Reply With Quote