View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
mr.pessimist
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 159715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_San View Post
I'd suggest doing a tune up if you haven't already. Plugs, wires, air filter, check your MAP/MAF for obvious problems, fuel filter, and then, if you're still getting a misfire, take it to a repair shop. They can put it on a 'scope and tell if you have a bad coil pack.

I seriously doubt you could hurt a catalytic converter by driving with a bad plug. You would have to pump a LOT of excess fuel into the cat over an extended period of time to ruin it.

I would hold off on a compression test until you've done a basic tune up, as a tune up will cure most misfire problems pretty efficiently.
I changed the plugs 3,000 miles ago and I changed the fuel filter about 30,000 ago. I know it's probably time for the fuel filter but wouldn't I be getting misfires (or engine no start) on all cylinders if there was a fuel filter issue or coil pack issue? Air filter is fine I checked that. Could be a bad plug or bad wire, which is why I'm testing those out tonight.

My biggest concern is that I've been experiencing very intermittent engine knock for the past 2 years. So now I'm worried that the knock could have contributed to this. I'm worried about a burnt valve, or piston rings, or piston. This makes me want to try compression test or leak-down. But I want to eliminate the cheap tune-up options first.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mr.pessimist is offline   Reply With Quote