Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 13, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #226
4ST-AIR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 148681
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: WI
Vehicle:
TBD Looking for STI
Back in the Game!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant Autospeed View Post
I also wanted to add that on MANY dynos your car would read over 400whp with your setup at that boost level.

Get some brake pads? Just a thought (not sure if you had them already)
Brake Pads are still very new you know the damn car spent 4 out of the lat 12 being worked on and then another 2 months breaking in new engines.

My point is I have a new respect for that amount of power on a public road.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
4ST-AIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #227
tux121
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 162942
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN
Vehicle:
2006 STi Black&Gold
Stage 2

Default

This is true. I originally wanted a GT30R Turbo to reach 400whp. But I drove my brothers 350whp EVO and it was only running a FP Green on race gas. This car scared the shiet out of me.
tux121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #228
Special
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 145585
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: St. John's, Antigua
Vehicle:
2002 S202 [email protected]
Yellow

Default

I think a reliable 400whp is a great goal to achieve, but do agree you need to have experience with these cars before you jump to that kind of power.
Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #229
smurfwrx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 151928
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
09 Triumph S3

Default

I'll be happy w/ 320-350whp w/ an 18g + meth on my 2.0. I won't go any bigger 'til I, at a minimum, upgrade internals.
smurfwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #230
wrxgeneration
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170790
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Sacramento
Vehicle:
2006 wrx cobb stg. 2
cgm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfwrx View Post
I'll be happy w/ 320-350whp w/ an 18g + meth on my 2.0. I won't go any bigger 'til I, at a minimum, upgrade internals.
Same here, that power range is going to be more then enough for me.
wrxgeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:05 PM   #231
wrxgeneration
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170790
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Sacramento
Vehicle:
2006 wrx cobb stg. 2
cgm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant Autospeed View Post
You would be suprised. Spend a while looking back the last year and see how many "I have 3k-4k-5k to spend and want 400whp" posts there are from people who have only ever driven a bone stock STI or even worse, WRX. Even if they have EM and an exh, it happens more often than you would think. It may only be 10% of the time, but with this many people, that's a lot.

Sure there are some people that say it and DO have the money and experience to handle it. But more often than not, they dont.

One recent guy said it, and he is coming from having owned a high power subby before, so he will be fine. But many others, Heck man just like 2 months ago a 17 year old kid who's parents bought him a new STI for his birthday, came in here with a 6k budget and was looking at rotated setups. Think about that one
Hey hey, lets not bag on 17 year old kids, because i'm 17 years old myself. Maybe he's a smart 17 year old that actually has a mind, like me. I agree that at this age kids do stupid things because of unexperience, but some 17 year olds quickly learn how to drive high powered cars. My folks helped me out financially with getting an 06 wrx, which i had to work very hard for. A lot of my dad's friends said that it was a dumbest thing he has ever done, and that i would crash it, because that car is too fast for little kids, but hey i drive smart and i haven't gotten a single ticket yet. Not all 17 year olds are brainless.
wrxgeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #232
Defiant Autospeed
Vendor
 
Member#: 155450
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin/Beverly 2 of us now!
Vehicle:
2007 FXT
WRB

Default

Sorry man, I didnt mean it that way. I was talking about this one particular case.

This particular guy was NOT smart, or responsible, or safe to be on the road in even a bone stock STI.

His thread was filled with tales of street racing, e-thugging, claiming we were jealous that he didnt have to work for his car. You had to work hard, he whined and got it handed to him free, which still wouldnt bothered me, it was his attitude, it was what he was claiming to have done (the racing) and the plans he had (add 250+whp and go street race even more)
Defiant Autospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #233
smurfwrx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 151928
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
09 Triumph S3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxgeneration View Post
Hey hey, lets not bag on 17 year old kids, because i'm 17 years old myself. Maybe he's a smart 17 year old that actually has a mind, like me. I agree that at this age kids do stupid things because of unexperience, but some 17 year olds quickly learn how to drive high powered cars. My folks helped me out financially with getting an 06 wrx, which i had to work very hard for. A lot of my dad's friends said that it was a dumbest thing he has ever done, and that i would crash it, because that car is too fast for little kids, but hey i drive smart and i haven't gotten a single ticket yet. Not all 17 year olds are brainless.

I agree with you but you HAVE to know you are the exception and not the rule. It's pretty safe to make the statement, "Dumb-ass 17 yr. old kids...<fill in the blank>" b/c MOST of them are NOT ready for the responsibility. Kudos to you for having a brain.

You'll realize in about another 10 years that you weren't as smart at 17 as you thought you were then. Ask me how I know.
smurfwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:58 AM   #234
wrxgeneration
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170790
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Sacramento
Vehicle:
2006 wrx cobb stg. 2
cgm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant Autospeed View Post
Sorry man, I didnt mean it that way. I was talking about this one particular case.

This particular guy was NOT smart, or responsible, or safe to be on the road in even a bone stock STI.

His thread was filled with tales of street racing, e-thugging, claiming we were jealous that he didnt have to work for his car. You had to work hard, he whined and got it handed to him free, which still wouldnt bothered me, it was his attitude, it was what he was claiming to have done (the racing) and the plans he had (add 250+whp and go street race even more)
It's all good, i just wanted you all to know that there is an exception, but hey i totally agree with you, that most young kids are just fearless show offs that never think before they do something. That's an awesome wright up that you have done, because those 400whp threads started to annoy me too.
wrxgeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:42 AM   #235
hotrod
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14141
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: [email protected] @ 5800 ft on 13T
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX

Default

Quote:
Sorry, but I think this thread is ludicrous. How can you say 400whp is too much to DD? LOL

400whp is like a 116mph car in the 1/4. That's quick AT BEST, not SCARY FAST like youre making it out to be.

It is quick enough that it will only give you one chance at a mistake. Even an experienced driver can get over his head at 300 hp. An HONEST 400 hp car that weighs 3000# and is AWD is frigging bloody dangerous if you are the slightest bit inattentive, or just unlucky regarding road conditions.

At that power level all it takes is a wet manhole cover to put you in a ditch and even very experienced drivers cannot always catch the car when it gets away from them.


There is a reason that for years and years the dividing line between normal cars and super cars has been cars with less than 10 lbs per hp.

Larry
hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #236
wrxwhat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87653
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Long Island NY
Vehicle:
97 Supra / 17 GTR
16 Z06 / 07 STI / 05 Evo

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
It is quick enough that it will only give you one chance at a mistake. Even an experienced driver can get over his head at 300 hp. An HONEST 400 hp car that weighs 3000# and is AWD is frigging bloody dangerous if you are the slightest bit inattentive, or just unlucky regarding road conditions.

At that power level all it takes is a wet manhole cover to put you in a ditch and even very experienced drivers cannot always catch the car when it gets away from them.


There is a reason that for years and years the dividing line between normal cars and super cars has been cars with less than 10 lbs per hp.

Larry
lol, maybe you just belong behind a Camry.

From personal experience, I've never driven a car that I haven't felt I could handle. I know for a fact there are cars out there that would make me tighten the sphincter but I'd never say anything, especially a fuggin Subaru has too much power.
wrxwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:49 AM   #237
hotrod
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14141
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: [email protected] @ 5800 ft on 13T
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX

Default

Quote:
From personal experience, I've never driven a car that I haven't felt I could handle. I know for a fact there are cars out there that would make me tighten the sphincter but I'd never say anything, especially a fuggin Subaru has too much power.
I know a few dozen folks that said the same thing before they discovered their limitations.
A few of them got killed learning that lesson. Over confidence is a real good way to get bit in the butt with a powerful car or a motor cycle. If you don't respect the power you will learn the hard way!

After you get about 600,000 miles under your belt you learn that a drivers perception of total control is frequently more a case of being lucky or stupid.

Larry
hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:55 AM   #238
wrxwhat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87653
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Long Island NY
Vehicle:
97 Supra / 17 GTR
16 Z06 / 07 STI / 05 Evo

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
I know a few dozen folks that said the same thing before they discovered their limitations.
A few of them got killed learning that lesson. Over confidence is a real good way to get bit in the butt with a powerful car or a motor cycle. If you don't respect the power you will learn the hard way!

After you get about 600,000 miles under your belt you learn that a drivers perception of total control is frequently more a case of being lucky or stupid.

Larry
I'd advise people to learn their cars and their own limitations on a track and rarely use excess speed on the street unless their better judgement tells them it's safe to.

I totally agree with your latter statement.
wrxwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #239
smurfwrx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 151928
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
09 Triumph S3

Default

wrxwhat, what power level are you at? 400whp+? Just curious.

You just seem cocky. Cocky drivers are the ones that get hurt. Clear-headed, CONFIDENT drivers get the job done and know to fear and respect their machines.

I don't know you and I don't know anything about your driving skills. Maybe you really are as good as you want everyone to believe you are. The only thing that doesn't add up is, every excellent driver I know, knows 400whp can sneak up on you quick and doesn't treat it all cavalierly. Eh, but what do I know?
smurfwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #240
smurfwrx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 151928
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
09 Triumph S3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxwhat View Post
lol, maybe you just belong behind a Camry.

From personal experience, I've never driven a car that I haven't felt I could handle.

I know for a fact there are cars out there that would make me tighten the sphincter but I'd never say anything, especially a fuggin Subaru has too much power.
this is the kind of thing I'm referring to. I haven't driven anything I couldn't handle either..........after I acquainted myself with it. I guess you can just jump in and master anything, huh? Civics don't count.

That 2nd part there...... you know there are cars that would scare you but what?...... you'd never say anything? That ego right there. That's what I'm talking about.
smurfwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #241
zeropsi
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 175453
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: wilCO, IL
Vehicle:
AE86 GT-S coupe
i <3 alqonquin homosauce

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfwrx View Post
wrxwhat, what power level are you at? 400whp+? Just curious.

You just seem cocky. Cocky drivers are the ones that get hurt. Clear-headed, CONFIDENT drivers get the job done and know to fear and respect their machines.

I don't know you and I don't know anything about your driving skills. Maybe you really are as good as you want everyone to believe you are. The only thing that doesn't add up is, every excellent driver I know, knows 400whp can sneak up on you quick and doesn't treat it all cavalierly. Eh, but what do I know?
I'd like to know too. Interesting to see the background of someone who makes such statements. If 400whp isn't quite a bit more than 'quick', I don't know what is.
zeropsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #242
illini_wrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155844
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Arctic Circle
Default

These are the kinds of kids who make our insurance so expensive
illini_wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #243
wrxwhat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87653
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Long Island NY
Vehicle:
97 Supra / 17 GTR
16 Z06 / 07 STI / 05 Evo

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0psi View Post
I'd like to know too. Interesting to see the background of someone who makes such statements. If 400whp isn't quite a bit more than 'quick', I don't know what is.
What would you like to know? I've driven H/C Nitrous c5 z06's to 700whp Supras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfwrx View Post
this is the kind of thing I'm referring to. I haven't driven anything I couldn't handle either..........after I acquainted myself with it. I guess you can just jump in and master anything, huh? Civics don't count.

That 2nd part there...... you know there are cars that would scare you but what?...... you'd never say anything? That ego right there. That's what I'm talking about.
Your reading comprehension is obviously below par as I said, "I'd never say anything, especially a Subaru has too much power."
wrxwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #244
smurfwrx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 151928
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
09 Triumph S3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxwhat View Post
Your reading comprehension is obviously below par as I said, "I'd never say anything, especially a Subaru has too much power."
no, my reading comprehension is fine. I quoted you saying that if a car WAS too much for you, you wouldn't say anything (admit it). What did I misunderstand?

How old are you by the way? You have the sassy-ness of a angst-ridden horomonal teen boy. If you are not, you'll still get no apology from me b/c I think you're a snotty prick who ought to know better if you've entered adult-hood. So is that MY fault or am I just working with what you're giving me here?
smurfwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:32 AM   #245
SilverSnoDrift
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 180526
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Adrian, MI
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STI
Silver

Default

I've had my 04 stage2 for about 2 months now, and the 300whp (pro tuned) still gives me the willies, I've pushed to 100 once and was there in what felt like no time, and caught the traffic ahead faster than expected (i learned quickly that these stop just as fast too) so the thought of 400whp is like taking fast to crazy. in all my driving time (all 5years of it, though i have cart raced so i do know how to control a vehicle) the highest speed i got was 147mph out of my old Caprice cop car, so i know what too fast feels like, but the acceleration is very new to me. i do like the fact that you can hit 85 in 3rd gear
SilverSnoDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:37 AM   #246
zeropsi
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 175453
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: wilCO, IL
Vehicle:
AE86 GT-S coupe
i <3 alqonquin homosauce

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxwhat View Post
You misunderstood the fact that I was saying I'd never say any car has too much power.

It doesn't matter my age. I'm obviously more socially adept than you seeing as you can't take my forum rhetoric.
Age does matter when you consider the average behavior of the average person your age, sorry, but that's demographics.
I may be able handle something 800whp, but that by no means necessarily means that I couldn't get in trouble with a 3000# 400whp WRX. It's dangerous.
zeropsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:54 AM   #247
illini_wrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155844
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Arctic Circle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSnoDrift View Post
i do like the fact that you can hit 85 in 3rd gear
power doesn't change your gearing
illini_wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:09 AM   #248
wrxwhat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87653
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Long Island NY
Vehicle:
97 Supra / 17 GTR
16 Z06 / 07 STI / 05 Evo

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0psi View Post
Age does matter when you consider the average behavior of the average person your age, sorry, but that's demographics.
I may be able handle something 800whp, but that by no means necessarily means that I couldn't get in trouble with a 3000# 400whp WRX. It's dangerous.
You're taking what I said about age out of context. Read the post I was quoting.

You can get in trouble with anything, especially when you're distracted, but I'd never call a 400whp subaru "dangerous" by any stretch of the imagination.
wrxwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #249
hotrod
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14141
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: [email protected] @ 5800 ft on 13T
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX

Default

Quote:
I'd never call a 400whp subaru "dangerous" by any stretch of the imagination.
That is sort of like saying a .22 short pistol is not dangerous just because you are used to a .44 magnum. It is still a gun and needs to be treated with the respect required of a firearm. We understand what you are saying in context, as a person experienced with high power cars your assessment of danger is very different from some 16 year old who reads this thread out of context.

The whole point of the thread is to let the inexperienced know that big hp numbers come attached with a considerable level or risk and requirement for judgment and responsibility on their part. Unfortunately the people who need to read this thread probably will not, or if they do will assume they are in the 0.5% who are not subject to the laws of physics and think that just because they have 6 months driving experience they can jump in a 400 hp car and be in full control of it from the start.

We all have been there and most of us have scared the crap out of ourselves enough to realize we are in fact subject to the laws of physics. We also in most cases learned that even in a 36 hp Volkswagen over application of throttle accompanied with disengaged brain can result in a trip through the weeds, or in the case of a friend of mine a trip through the open sun roof as he rolled it and a one way trip to the cemetery.

Larry
hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #250
smurfwrx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 151928
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
09 Triumph S3

Default

well stated point about the pistol. That's a good analogy. Sorry, wrxwhat, you just come off as the "dangerous" type b/c of your "Psssht! 400whp subie is nothing / nothing's too powerful for me," kind of attitude. IDK, maybe "dangerous" is what you were going for to compensate for your little......., well, you know.

j/k. In all serious-ness, I'm just saying that that's a bold statement that more mature and seasoned drivers probably wouldn't make. More mature and seasoned drivers know a little can go along way and as soon as you underestimate your vehicle, you are in grave danger of making a potentially fatal mistake.
smurfwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Public service Announcement for all you white guys. obyone Off-Topic 12 06-24-2009 11:20 AM
the following Public Service Announcement is brought to you by P.A.C.T Amazake New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC 16 11-27-2003 10:43 PM
A public service announcement Midwayman Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 15 02-25-2001 07:34 AM
SVX Public Service Announcement CRZ_MSL SVX Forum Archive 2 11-22-2000 12:24 PM
Public service announcement (AKA: Tony eats crow) Tony General Forum Archive 3 10-18-2000 07:12 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.