|03-22-2012, 01:05 AM||#1|
Join Date: Aug 2007
07 VF39'd WRX TR
05 Sti engine swap into 02 Wrx
Well with over 4 hours of searching and reading, I still have not found my answers. I came across a deal of a 05 sti engine and want to know exactly that must be used and done on the wrx/sti. Reviewing psychorunner/punkrocksailor/ and another member who swapped in a 07 sti drivetrain into his 02, there are still holes to fill in. I just finishing swapping in a 06 wrx transmission and will be running this with the Sti motor. From this, I will not be using the dccd. The motor will be coming with
Complete 05 Sti engine
05 sti Ecu
Ignition/key and immobilizer
From researching there are a few things that I am skeptical on.
1. Heating and AC. Since I will be changing the dash harness, will I need the complete HVAC system under the dash? Will I need the HVAC controls?
2. Fuel Pump. Knowing that my fuel filter is in my engine bay, and the sti is in the fuel tank. Will a fuel sending unit be necessary? Also I am guessing the plugs on the 05 and 02 are different for the sending unit?
3. ABS Module. Reading psychorunner thread, it was noted that the abs module is different. Will I need the 05 sti or can I simply wire my 02 module into the new 05 sti harness.
4. Window controls. Will my 02 door harness plug and play into the new 05 sti chassis harness?
5. Wiring. Using my 06 transmission/diff, will anything need to be spliced and rewired during the swap?
5. Additional Parts? Is there any other parts that will be needed from the sti? here is a list of parts that are in question
sti Steering Column
sti HVAC switches/heater box/ac box
sti ABS module
sti door harness(if necessary)
sti steering wheel( because of the air bag)
sti wiper motor
Sorry for the million questions. These are my concerns before diving into the swap. All the other members who have completed the swap, had a donor car to take the parts from. I will be driving 6 hours to get the motor/parts, so I would only like to make one trip. This thread is also useful to finally rest the question of what is needed to swap this motor into this car. Many other threads started had a question or two, with no answers/replies. Any help would be appreciated, especially from the veterans who have completed such a swap. I understand this has been topic has been discussed many times, but I would like to clarify all these concerns for myself and others.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Last edited by PureTorque; 03-22-2012 at 01:12 AM.
|04-04-2012, 08:58 AM||#3|
Join Date: Nov 2011
you can use your ej205 heads directly on your 257 just get new gaskets studs and have the combustion chamber smoothed out smoothly to the inside of the new gasket circle on each heads comb. chamber so its not a flat spot in your combustion chamber. You can also get some nice cams and re do the valves if you want. Then all you need is a tune.
Last edited by 3grst01; 04-04-2012 at 09:04 AM.
|07-07-2012, 06:41 AM||#4|
Join Date: Apr 2008
Did you get your answers. I'm just about to finish up the same type of swap I came across the same issues.
|07-16-2012, 06:33 PM||#5|
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In the V hole!Vehicle:
2002 STi Mikey Tuned
Door harnesses, Door switches, door cards & inside door handles ( or merge the door harnesses )you'll need to merge the /rewire the headlights,foglights & markers also
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|05 STi Engine swap into 04 WRX ?s||srREXed||Subaru Conversions||12||06-24-2016 11:02 AM|
|Need Help:Questions on 05 Sti Rack swap into 02 Wrx||Slo_Buggy||Brakes, Steering & Suspension||6||01-14-2011 01:37 AM|
|08+ WRX Engine Swap into 02 WRX||KpT KiM||Newbies & FAQs||4||08-07-2010 10:09 PM|
|05+ auto HVAC swapped into 02 WRX||Loomin||Subaru Conversions||0||11-23-2008 03:34 AM|
|05 STI Engine Mounts into 02 WRX?||sleepinsuby||Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)||4||04-30-2005 05:17 PM|