|01-08-2013, 06:27 AM||#1|
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Twin Cities, MNVehicle:
1996 Impreza Outback
MSP area - can anyone confirm that this sounds like starter issue?
someone had an issue similar to this:
My car is different:
1996 Impreza outback wagon 2.2 AWD Automatic
...and had some additional symptoms besides just not starting all of a sudden. Being as concise as possible, here's the scoop:
- wouldn't start couple weeks ago but eventually started after trying for 40 min.
- engine turnover got weaker and weaker over the course of a week or two.
- Wouldn't start a few days ago, but it would turn over.
- The more I tried it the less times it would turn over until it would just click.
- I don't even get a click now.
- The nav lights dim very slightly when I turn the key.
- Battery was tested and exceeded the cold cranking amp specs by 100.
- Battery posts cleaned and connections checked.
- tow truck guy tried jumping it. No difference.
- It is winter but the engine was warm both times that it wouldn't start.
(I go house to house doing property inspections so I turn my car on and off a lot)
Can someone confirm that the lights dimming means the ignition relay is fine and seems like a starter if I'm getting no click? Could it be something else?
My car knowledge is limited to conversations I've overheard and me asking a few people that know a bit about cars. I wanted to ask here because I'm sure there's some folks that know this car inside and out that might have some valuable insight.
I appreciate any help anyone could give me. Even if that help is simply, "yes, that sounds like a starter."
Last edited by jeffreyjames; 01-08-2013 at 06:33 AM.