Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday November 22, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #551
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

Hmmm....
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #552
bnasty49
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 351310
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phoenix
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Crystal B

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
Hmmm....
Perhaps a reverse scoop hood? *wink*
bnasty49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #553
RavensFan7
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 346388
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2001 Ej205 Impreza L
SRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnasty49 View Post

Perhaps a reverse scoop hood? *wink*
No, probably that scoopless hood on the rafters in the garage from a couple pages back.
RavensFan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #554
bnasty49
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 351310
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Phoenix
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Crystal B

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan7 View Post
No, probably that scoopless hood on the rafters in the garage from a couple pages back.
Dream crusher. =p
bnasty49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #555
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnasty49 View Post
Perhaps a reverse scoop hood? *wink*
Oh hell no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan7 View Post
No, probably that scoopless hood on the rafters in the garage from a couple pages back.
Yeah...
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #556
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

TurboSmart Dual Port BOV is for sale:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2589442

xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:04 AM   #557
enjoilife1991
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322400
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Reno
Vehicle:
03 WRX 360whp
PSM

Default

i used to have the turboxs hybrid on my 09 and i had to get rid of it because it was leaking all over. check yours out because on mine there was no type of o-ring around the vent to keep it sealed when closed. let me know.
enjoilife1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #558
mother_russia
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 378574
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default

Damn dude those are some nice numbers!
Haha I love the fact that you're proud of your miles on the car!
mother_russia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #559
ocdpvw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 282232
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Waterville, OH
Vehicle:
2012 TP Stage 3
Bagged SWP & Bagged DGM

Default

Love scoop-less
ocdpvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #560
Joebie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 270313
Join Date: Jan 2011
Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
DEEGEE-EMM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
One of the NF guys has a GC with a 6266 and ignition cut LC set up. Shoots lots of flames and is really loud. I got to take it down the strip and it basically just builds full boost instantly.

Nuke has had some good luck playing with timing and fueling along with the fuel cut LC and gotten some decent boost off the line. That is what is used for the Speeding Bullet STI that ran in the 9's.

I didn't think FFS worked with DBC? How does it reduce the rev's when the gas is all the way to the floor. Isn't the throttle just staying wide open? Never really looked into it before I guess.
I know this is an older post, but I've always associated fuel cut LC being lean in cylinder and it does sketch me out a bit. Also worried about the EGT's when doing it as well. I run spark cut LC on a different car of mine with pretty good success, able to build an easy 10PSI with the old turbo setup. Since it is just a project/poop car I was running a chinabay "60 trim" turbo and it didn't seem to mind the abuse of the un-burnt fuel surprisingly. Since I have switched to a Garret 57 trim and it doesn't seem to mind it yet either, but I haven't had a lot of time with it lately due to weather.

Also, as always, dig your build threads, like reading a good book.
Joebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #561
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoilife1991 View Post
i used to have the turboxs hybrid on my 09 and i had to get rid of it because it was leaking all over. check yours out because on mine there was no type of o-ring around the vent to keep it sealed when closed. let me know.
I ran the same valve on my 2011 for a while. It is a series design like most other 50/50 valves. It will vent back into the inlet first, and then then to atmosphere second (only when the valve is fully open). It worked well for me and had a nice, subtle sound. I did not have any issues.



This valve is 100% VTA and has the trumpet on it, so it should be much louder. It is also more of a risk for leaks at idle, but on a speed density setup a small leak isn't got to make much of a difference, unlike on a MAF setup where it will cause huge problems. Although, when properly set up it shouldn't leak at idle in either case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_russia View Post
Damn dude those are some nice numbers!
Haha I love the fact that you're proud of your miles on the car!
Thanks. I'm not really "proud" of them, but I think that stock motor and trans did pretty well for the miles they had on them. Glad to have them replaced now though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdpvw View Post
Love scoop-less
Yep, I'm definitely a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebie View Post
I know this is an older post, but I've always associated fuel cut LC being lean in cylinder and it does sketch me out a bit. Also worried about the EGT's when doing it as well. I run spark cut LC on a different car of mine with pretty good success, able to build an easy 10PSI with the old turbo setup. Since it is just a project/poop car I was running a chinabay "60 trim" turbo and it didn't seem to mind the abuse of the un-burnt fuel surprisingly. Since I have switched to a Garret 57 trim and it doesn't seem to mind it yet either, but I haven't had a lot of time with it lately due to weather.

Also, as always, dig your build threads, like reading a good book.
Ignition/spark cut LC is much, much harder on the car than fuel cut. Ignition cut causes huge EGT's and can very easily damage the valvetrain components (even moreso than the turbo). Fuel cut puts no fuel into the cylinder. It is not "lean", there is just no fuel. There is very little risk. Ignition cut is more fun (and builds way more boost), but it is way harder on the car.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:17 AM   #562
enjoilife1991
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322400
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Reno
Vehicle:
03 WRX 360whp
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
I ran the same valve on my 2011 for a while. It is a series design like most other 50/50 valves. It will vent back into the inlet first, and then then to atmosphere second (only when the valve is fully open). It worked well for me and had a nice, subtle sound. I did not have any issues.



This valve is 100% VTA and has the trumpet on it, so it should be much louder. It is also more of a risk for leaks at idle, but on a speed density setup a small leak isn't got to make much of a difference, unlike on a MAF setup where it will cause huge problems. Although, when properly set up it shouldn't leak at idle in either case.

I did a smoke test on mine and under just 5 lb's of pressure it was smoking like a chimney! I could only imagine what it would be like with 20+ pounds of boost. I understand that with the speed density tune it wont cause any detrimental problems but with the leak (small or big) it should take longer to hit full boost. Right?
enjoilife1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #563
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoilife1991 View Post
I did a smoke test on mine and under just 5 lb's of pressure it was smoking like a chimney! I could only imagine what it would be like with 20+ pounds of boost. I understand that with the speed density tune it wont cause any detrimental problems but with the leak (small or big) it should take longer to hit full boost. Right?
The design of that BPV (and most BPV's) requires pressure on the top and bottom of the valve. Pressurizing the inlet, like most smoke tests do, will only put pressure on the bottom of the valve, but not the top. This will surely cause the valve to lift and let air past.

With a recirc valve it just recirculates and you don't see it. With a BOV or 50/50 it will vent out to atmosphere and look like a huge leak. But in reality when the car is actually in boost the valve is held firmly shut by boost pressure on the top of the valve. Here are some more links that explain it in much more detail:

http://www.gfb.com.au/tech/troublesh...lve-is-leaking
http://www.gfb.com.au/tech/tech-arti...ng-boost-leaks
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #564
enjoilife1991
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322400
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Reno
Vehicle:
03 WRX 360whp
PSM

Default

Oh I see! I didn't even think about the fact that the intake manifold wasn't being pressurized... that makes a lot of sense now. thanx!
enjoilife1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #565
Letty-Ortiz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 379104
Join Date: Jan 2014
Chapter/Region: International
Location: 'Murika
Vehicle:
2014 GBS FRS
i can't remember a thing

Default

so....how soon until full retard.
Letty-Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #566
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

Maybe next year.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #567
Subaru Guy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234928
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston
Vehicle:
2005 Tacoma
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letty-Ortiz View Post
so....how soon until full retard.
Fantastic haha.
Subaru Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #568
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

My brother and I took off the front end stuff last night:





Forester is covered in salt. This was after getting a car wash earlier in the day



Also seen in this photo is the full size fridge I moved out there when we got a new one for the kitchen
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 AM   #569
paulpat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 237145
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: 562
Vehicle:
02 WRX
12 FXT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXt4cy View Post
Ahh - so what did you do with the heads in regards to AVCS? Just running without or did you do something else?

Your ECU supports the CarBerry rom which has some pretty cool features like speed density, LC w/ boost, FFS, etc.

If you ever miss a gear your engine is going to be like

I am still upset that there was no Ej207 swap for the heads and the ecu/avcs. But I guess having the 02 WRX ecu and the CarBerry rom makes up for it. Its a future dilemma that I hope to make or not to make. lol.

Its just... not using the avcs, people keep saying that there is so much low end left on the table. The huge turbo is cool and all but I like the instant spool of the td04 especially for autoX. Would you even consider autoX in the future?

Sorry. I'll stop being a troll.
-paul
paulpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #570
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpat View Post
I am still upset that there was no Ej207 swap for the heads and the ecu/avcs. But I guess having the 02 WRX ecu and the CarBerry rom makes up for it. Its a future dilemma that I hope to make or not to make. lol.

Its just... not using the avcs, people keep saying that there is so much low end left on the table. The huge turbo is cool and all but I like the instant spool of the td04 especially for autoX. Would you even consider autoX in the future?

Sorry. I'll stop being a troll.
-paul
Low end isn't a huge concern for me on this build. This isn't a daily driver and my goal is strong top end. The added complexity to try and get AVCS just wasn't worth it to me. If I wanted to do an autocross car I wouldn't do a WRX! But I don't have any plans for a dedicated autocross car any time soon.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #571
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

New oil line:

xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:29 AM   #572
ehawthorne521
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 149686
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Western Washington
Vehicle:
2002 My name is Evan
and I am an Autoholic

Default

Details about the oil line please? Specifically does it fit VF39's and where did you get it?
ehawthorne521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #573
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehawthorne521 View Post
Details about the oil line please? Specifically does it fit VF39's and where did you get it?
It's the FP non-AVCS oil line kit:

http://store.forcedperformance.net/P...LSSSubaru.html

This kit bolts to the back of the head. It has fittings to work with an OEM turbo (or any other turbo with the same threading on the oil input).

They also make another version of the kit that pulls the oil from the top of the AVCS at the front of the head (on cars with AVCS).

http://store.forcedperformance.net/P...ubaruAVCS.html

My car has all AVCS items in place (but not used due to ECU limitations), but I got the non-AVCS kit because it is a cleaner/easier option for install.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:29 AM   #574
ehawthorne521
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 149686
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Western Washington
Vehicle:
2002 My name is Evan
and I am an Autoholic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
It's the FP non-AVCS oil line kit:

http://store.forcedperformance.net/P...LSSSubaru.html

This kit bolts to the back of the head. It has fittings to work with an OEM turbo (or any other turbo with the same threading on the oil input).

They also make another version of the kit that pulls the oil from the top of the AVCS at the front of the head (on cars with AVCS).

http://store.forcedperformance.net/P...ubaruAVCS.html

My car has all AVCS items in place (but not used due to ECU limitations), but I got the non-AVCS kit because it is a cleaner/easier option for install.
Great!! Awesome to know, I have been looking for something like this. The hard line is a pain when pulling the turbo off.
ehawthorne521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #575
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

A new noisemaker arrived today. TurboSmart Comp-Gate40.



















xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.