Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday April 25, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Bay Area Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 90875
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boxford, Ma
2013 4dr STi

Default Selling my STi in CA have some questions

So I just moved to San Jose from boston and will be selling my 2013 sti. It still has out of state plates and registration do I have to get it smogged before I sell? Its less than 4 years old so I am not sure which rule on the DMV website I have to follow.


* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
evoq007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 176692
Join Date: Apr 2008



How to Change Vehicle Ownership
How To Get Started

You will always need:

California Certificate of Title or Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title (REG 227)(PDF)
Signature(s) of seller(s) and lienholder, if any
Signature(s) of buyer(s)
Transfer fee

You may also need:
Smog certification
Use tax and/or various other fees
Additional documentation

Is a Smog Inspection Required?

When you transfer ownership of a vehicle that is four or less model years old, a smog certification is not required; however, a smog transfer fee is collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, the seller is required to obtain smog certification when transferring ownership of a vehicle UNLESS certification was obtained within the last 90 days or the vehicle is:

1975 year model or older
Diesel powered
Natural gas powered and has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 14,001 lbs. or more
Being transferred between family members (spouse, domestic partner, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, or grandchild) or by court order. A Statement of Facts form (REG 256)(PDF) must be completed for the exemption; however, if registration renewal fees are due, the smog exemption may not apply.

Most smog certifications are submitted electronically to DMV. Keep your receipt because it contains an inspection number that may be used to locate your smog certification record at DMV.

More information regarding smog requirements.
Rescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 176692
Join Date: Apr 2008

Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Can You Register it in California? FFVR 29
Rescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 176692
Join Date: Apr 2008


Bringing in an out of state vehicle or buying a car from out of state.

If you just moved to California with your out of state vehicle, or you bought or are planning on buying an out of state car, in order to register it in California you will need a California smog check certificate.

You're first step should be to visit a local California Department of Motor Vehicles field office and inquire on additional documents your vehicle's registration might require, under than current liability insurance, a valid and passing smog check certificate, and an out of state title or vehicle pink slip. You can always go directly to a smog check center first and then the DMV. If you've got all your paperwork in order getting your smog check before visiting the DMV will save you a return trip.

What type of smog station can inspect my out of state car?

Any type of smog station can inspect and certify your out of state vehicle (regular smog check & repair center, smog test only center, or Gold Shield smog station) so long as it's a used vehicle with at least 7,500 miles. New vehicles can not be registered in California unless they are 50-State Emissions certified.

If you've heard about California's strict smog laws there is no need to worry.

The fact is there is difference with California legal and Federal legal emission requirements, and for the most part, California is stricter. However, a vehicle which is equipped with the necessary Federal Emission components is eligible for California registration as long as the vehicle's exhaust emissions fall within California's limits. It's true, in some cases Federal cars have different emission components but this does not ban them from being registered in California.

California Insurance - California State law requires that once you become a resident of California you obtain a State driver's license and also register and insure you car in this state within 10 days of moving here.

California state law also requires all motor vehicle owners to have insurance which provides Bodily Injury Coverage and Vehicle Damage Coverage. Auto insurance will be required prior to your vehicle's registration being completed.

Minimum Requirements - The required minimum coverage for bodily injury is $15,000 per person injured in any one accident and $30,000 for all persons injured in any one accident.

The minimum coverage required for vehicle damage is $5,000 for injury to or the destruction of property of others in any one auto or car accident.

Please note these are only minimum car insurance coverage requirements, and are in place mainly for the protection of the other driver and his or her vehicle.

In order to insure your own vehicle you must have purchased comprehensive and collision insurance. Comprehensive and collision insurance is not required by the state of California but is highly recommended.

You will need this coverage to pay for your own vehicle's repairs as opposed to the other person's vehicle in the unfortunate event of an auto accident.
Rescuer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.