Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 14, 2019
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #51
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 Legacy / Ascent
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by legav05 View Post
They pinned it to the value of a Mercedes-Benz S, which that article purposefully neglects to mention and you guys all swallowed up.
It is like you have an anti telsa radar.....

Does you HOA make you take your Tesla flag in your yard down at night?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #52
Indocti Discant
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138000
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: et ament meminisse periti
Vehicle:
Buy Nate's coffee
west coast roasting

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
It is like you have an anti telsa radar.....

Does you HOA make you take your Tesla flag in your yard down at night?


IIRC the guy has a lot of capital at risk in Tesla.
Indocti Discant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #53
blehhh
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316517
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Portland, ME
Vehicle:
2012 WRB WRX Hatch
TP Stage III & ELH

Default

I'd gladly dump my WRX for a Model 3 today if I could.
blehhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #54
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 Legacy / Ascent
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

you mean mazda 3?

I get that, it is a very nice car.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #55
blehhh
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316517
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Portland, ME
Vehicle:
2012 WRB WRX Hatch
TP Stage III & ELH

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
you mean mazda 3?

I get that, it is a very nice car.
I dumped my Mazda 3 for my WRX. The FWD & 167hp were painful.
blehhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:24 AM   #56
hi5.0
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 340456
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza

Default

If by some miracle Tesla can hold the line at $35k, offer decent performance, range, and keep the car looking good or better than the renders that were posted, it would easily steal sales from the German competitors in its segment in the same manner as the Model S. It'll also probably make the decision to go to EV ownership easier compared to the EVs currently in the market with a similar price range or even vs. the hybrid vehicles.
hi5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #57
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 Legacy / Ascent
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

IF Indeed the do go 35k, then that will be a fantastic feat. We will see!
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #58
blehhh
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316517
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Portland, ME
Vehicle:
2012 WRB WRX Hatch
TP Stage III & ELH

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi5.0 View Post
If by some miracle Tesla can hold the line at $35k, offer decent performance, range, and keep the car looking good or better than the renders that were posted, it would easily steal sales from the German competitors in its segment in the same manner as the Model S. It'll also probably make the decision to go to EV ownership easier compared to the EVs currently in the market with a similar price range or even vs. the hybrid vehicles.
It all seems a little too good to be true, but I think that's just because we're all expecting an Apples to Apples price comparison, as if equal performing cars should be equal price. I think the reality is that making batteries and electric motors is actually a lot cheaper than a gasoline engine & transmission, once you scale up the tech and have sufficient manufacturing volume.

It's like buying a camera, a flashlight, a voice recorder, a GPS device, a calculator, an MP3 player, etc..... vs just buying a smart phone.

But then add on the $7500 federal tax credit and all of the gas and maintenance savings and the car becomes too good of a deal NOT to buy.

Last edited by blehhh; 07-24-2014 at 10:30 AM.
blehhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #59
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 Legacy / Ascent
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

That tax credit should not be expected forever. If they can make a competitive 35000 dollar car with fast recharge times, it may be time to drop the subsidy.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #60
blehhh
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 316517
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Portland, ME
Vehicle:
2012 WRB WRX Hatch
TP Stage III & ELH

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
That tax credit should not be expected forever. If they can make a competitive 35000 dollar car with fast recharge times, it may be time to drop the subsidy.
Very true. It's still highly appealing regardless.

I'm most intrigued by the peak torque at 0 rpm, and the complete and total lack of NVH you get from an EV. It has to feel like flying a spaceship compared to driving a WRX.

Minimal NVH is a substantial selling point that a lot of luxury cars strive very hard to achieve too, so when it's a gimme on an EV at any price, that's going to be hard to compete with.
blehhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #61
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 Legacy / Ascent
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

It would only remove the engine from the NVH debate, the tires, chassis, and other parts will still be there, but true, not having an engine will further isolate the driver in his cocoon and be a huge benefit. I would miss a good sounding engine though.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #62
Hondaslayer
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
2014 Electric Datsun
2005 Adventure van

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
That tax credit should not be expected forever. If they can make a competitive 35000 dollar car with fast recharge times, it may be time to drop the subsidy.
I agree, or at least lower it or change it to a percentage of the purchase price.

Either way, just wait until I buy mine
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #63
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehhh View Post
Very true. It's still highly appealing regardless.

I'm most intrigued by the peak torque at 0 rpm, and the complete and total lack of NVH you get from an EV. It has to feel like flying a spaceship compared to driving a WRX.

Minimal NVH is a substantial selling point that a lot of luxury cars strive very hard to achieve too, so when it's a gimme on an EV at any price, that's going to be hard to compete with.
Your first statements, yes. The Leaf, isn't fast, but 100% on demand torque is pretty damn cool. Charging it at home has been cool, free charging at the DC Fast chargers even better. I'm acclimating to it and debating on putting in a 220v 32amp charging station at home for convenience. Having a fast version of this car, would probably do me in and I'd buy the Model 3 as long as optioned out it isn't 50k.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #64
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 Legacy / Ascent
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

IF Tesla can keep up the customer service, then they will be in good shape methinks.
Lets see what happens.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #65
shikataganai
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 92634
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
That tax credit should not be expected forever. If they can make a competitive 35000 dollar car with fast recharge times, it may be time to drop the subsidy.
Tax credit sunsets at 200k cars produced per manufacturer, iirc.
shikataganai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #66
Indocti Discant
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138000
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: et ament meminisse periti
Vehicle:
Buy Nate's coffee
west coast roasting

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikataganai View Post
Tax credit sunsets at 200k cars produced per manufacturer, iirc.
correct!

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Plug-I...and-IRC-30D%29

Quote:
The credit begins to phase out for a manufacturerís vehicles when at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009). For additional information see Notice 2009-89.
Indocti Discant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #67
Hondaslayer
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
2014 Electric Datsun
2005 Adventure van

Default

Really guys?


Round 2.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #68
upnygimp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 47036
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: On a Hill, not in NESIC
Vehicle:
10 TBHOG
94 Ferd Fteenthousand

Default

As I said in the Model S thread, I don't see this happening on time or at the quoted price. It's just too good to be true. Either it's going to cost closer to $50k, or it'll have the build quality of an iron curtain era Soviet econobox. Given their track record with the Model X, I'd imagine this will make an appearance sometime in 2018.

I love the idea, I just have my doubts about whether the company can produce enough vehicles to meet demand for a car that the unwashed masses can afford. Also, regarding the Supercharger access, can you imagine the wait times in places like the Bay Area, Portland, etc? It'll be insanity. I'd put money down that it'll be a premium feature on a car such as this to try to limit the user pool to something manageable.

Last edited by upnygimp; 07-28-2014 at 08:46 AM.
upnygimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #69
justincredible
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83633
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: The Mountains
Vehicle:
2012 bright green
box

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnygimp View Post
Also, regarding the Supercharger access, can you imagine the wait times in places like the Bay Area, Portland, etc? It'll be insanity. I'd put money down that it'll be a premium feature on a car such as this to try to limit the user pool to something manageable.
I'm sure that's why Tesla opened their patents to the public.
Once the other auto makers start puting up their own supercharger stations it'll alleviate some of the wait time.
justincredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #70
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnygimp View Post
As I said in the Model S thread, I don't see this happening on time or at the quoted price. It's just too good to be true. Either it's going to cost closer to $50k, or it'll have the build quality of an iron curtain era Soviet econobox. Given their track record with the Model X, I'd imagine this will make an appearance sometime in 2018.

I love the idea, I just have my doubts about whether the company can produce enough vehicles to meet demand for a car that the unwashed masses can afford. Also, regarding the Supercharger access, can you imagine the wait times in places like the Bay Area, Portland, etc? It'll be insanity. I'd put money down that it'll be a premium feature on a car such as this to try to limit the user pool to something manageable.
You don't need a supercharger to charge it, however. You can charge it at home.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #71
mhoward1
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 9481
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FFR Challenge #43
Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Default

I wonder how long until we see the Battery swap stations open up?
mhoward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #72
Genericuser1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 378822
Join Date: Jan 2014
Vehicle:
2006 Mini Van
Does it matter?

Default

I would think it would be easier to make a 3/4 S model than the all new platform X model.

I'm thinking the $35,000 will be hard to do, probably closer to $45,000 as the S starts at $70,000 now. I wish them luck.
Genericuser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #73
14stu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331638
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Grapevine, TX
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Black

Default

The release date and price both directly hinge on the new gigafactory to mass produce the batteries. The factory will be delayed, which will push back the model 3.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using NASIOC mobile app
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #74
upnygimp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 47036
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: On a Hill, not in NESIC
Vehicle:
10 TBHOG
94 Ferd Fteenthousand

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre View Post
You don't need a supercharger to charge it, however. You can charge it at home.
True, but not in the same time period.
upnygimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #75
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yeah, well, you know
Vehicle:
that 's, like, your
alternate facts, man.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnygimp View Post
True, but not in the same time period.
You, specifically, aren't supposed to use the Superchargers in lieu of your home charger. They're for travel use only, which is why they're along Interstate corridors. I'm sure Tesla will work out an incentive system to keep the Supercharger use legit. Right now it's not a big deal because there are so few model Ss and the vast majority of Superchargers are located out in the boonies. The whole infrastructure falls apart when travelers can't recharge their car on a trip due to locals using it like a free gas station.

Charging an 85kWhr Tesla battery from near empty at your home should cost you less than $10 anywhere in the USA. You'd hope that nobody buying $40k+ cars are that cheap.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.