Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 14, 2019
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #51
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregonfire View Post
Congrats on the new STI man.

So, no more Castrol???? Finally using some good oil I see.
Thanks, Greg. Glad to be back!

Castrol is from my German routes. It's good stuff. Nothing against it. Just decided to go with something more specific and popular with the Subaru brand this time around.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #52
gregonfire
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181047
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: South Jersey
Vehicle:
2015 CWP WRX
2015 SWP Forester XT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
Thanks, Greg. Glad to be back!

Castrol is from my German routes. It's good stuff. Nothing against it. Just decided to go with something more specific and popular with the Subaru brand this time around.

I'm just messing. Can't go wrong with Motul. Been using it for years. It's pricey though.
gregonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #53
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregonfire View Post
I'm just messing. Can't go wrong with Motul. Been using it for years. It's pricey though.
Yeah, not too bad. Still doesn't compare to my M3 oil changes, so anything besides that seems cheap to me haha.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:50 PM   #54
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

March 29, 2017

Miles: 790

What's being done: Gloss Black STi Side bages, Black Surround STI Trunk Badge, Dark Smoke Tail Tint (for clear part), Tails as Turn Module (with LED reverse lights), LED Front Turn Signals, LED Hyperblink module, Lapis Blue Bumper Plugs, and OEM AC fan blower panel.

First real mod update to the journal! I placed a nice order with Subispeed to start on the smaller things before I dive into the really fun stuff. I wanted to keep myself busy and start on doing the nitpicky stuff on the exterior to start making it my own. Sure, pretty basic stuff, but what I've learned in the past is the small details are what make the car. Really felt great to be in the garage again working on my car. Can't wait to really get my hands on this thing and turn it into my vision I've had in my head for a solid year now.

Down with chrome! I can't stand anything chrome on cars. It screams tacky and gaudy to me. Luckily, this car doesn't have much of it, so I decided to tackle it as soon as possible. Very easy to install the side badges and trunk badge if you have done something like that before. Simply heat up, pull off, remove residue, and stick nicer stuff on. It really changed the car quickly just with these two simple additions and boy I am glad I did. Really cleans the car up. I also have gloss black front and rear emblem surrounds, but I didnít get time to install them. I will be sure to post an update when I get some time to knock those out.

IMG_1812 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1956 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1835 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1941 by Freak Photography, on Flickr


Next I started on the tail film. I really enjoy the way the dark film looks on these cars. I knew a long time before I even got this car that it was something I wanted to do. Very easy install as the tails on the back end are very flat without any odd angles or curves. Simply wet them, stick them on, and get out all the liquid. Heated them up to angle them around the inside of the tails and make a night tight seal. Really changes the back end and looks way more aggressive. I am really eyeing up the Subispeed tail lights, but not a big fan of the turn signal/reverse light look. Maybe someday Iíll bite the bullet and try them out, but for now very happy with how the tint came out.

IMG_1942 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1937 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

One thing that really bothers me about Subaruís is the lack of modern technology these cars have. I will admit, the new headlights are very nice, but using halogen bulbs for blinkers and around the car is simply too old school for me. I knew this had to be taken care of to modernize the car so I picked up the tail as turn module with the LED reverse lights and front LED turn signals with the hyper blink module. I was just going to do LED rear turn signals, but decided I liked the look of the tail as turns way more. The nice part about this car is it is very familiar. I knew right where to look for the hyperblink module! Popped that in and I was ready to install the bulbs. Went around the car and put in the front turn signals and rear reverse lights. I wasnít too pleased with the OLM T15 circuit LED I got from subispeed as it is just a circuit board and it does not clip into the socket nice. It was actually almost falling out with me barely handling it. I actually went to put the socket back into the tail light and the LED nearly fell out into the tail light. Decided to put the stock bulbs back in on that side for now until I find a better solution. I shall report back with an update once I find a better bulb.

IMG_1837 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

Next up was the tail to turn module. Fortunately, I watched the Subispeed how to video so I knew how to install it. However, there are no instructions that come with it. Besides that, it was extremely simple. Plug and play and works exactly as advertised. Really updates the rear end and looks way better, not to mention way safer! Sorry, not many pictures of this. I will have a video up soon of the tails working in different scenarios.

IMG_1836 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

Bumper plugs were a no brainer as there is no way in hell I am going to drill into the front bumper for the plate. Very simple and easy little mod that cleans the front end up nicely. The finish on them was not as smooth as I thought. The ends almost feel like sandpaper for whatever reason. Either way, popped those in and happy to not have to look at the nostrils that come on the car from the factory. I also got a Perrin license plate bracket relocatation kit, so I will throw that on once I get my plates. I know, NJ sucks. I wish we didnít have to run a front plate. I would normally risk it like I have for years in the past, but quite frankly, I am too old to be dealing with pointless cop pull overs.

IMG_1833 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

Last quick mod was the AC fan blower panel. I told myself I wasnít going to get this as it seemed to be a pretty minute annoyance. However, after living with the car for nearly a month, the fan noise was all I heard. I have no idea why this wasnít something that was put on the car from the factory. the car literally comes with it completely open. I was shocked when I got down there to install it. Just flat out crap everywhere in the open. No wonder why I heard it! Popped the panel on and this little annoyance was gone.

IMG_1850 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

Have a few other mods sitting in the garage that I will be tackling this weekend, so be on the lookout for some more updates!
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:50 PM   #55
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

March 29, 2017

Miles: 790

What's being installed: SubieLED Fog Lights and DRL

I have been searching around for a solid LED bulb company for a few weeks. I wanted to outfit the STI with some proper LED lighting without spending a couple hundred dollars on 2 sets of lights. I came across a few brands that I was contemplating testing out, but it just came down to me reading negative reviews or just not liking the overall product. I wanted something reliable, customizable, and a company that takes pride in their product. In my research, I came across a company called SubieLED. They offered a nice variety of products and every review I read was positive. Not to mention, the price was one of the best I've seen! Decided to send an email over and see if they wanted to work with me.

Within a day, I received a reply and without hesitation they offered to be a part of my "build". Shortly after I was more than happy to place my order with them and received my two sets of 3s bulbs.

Upon initial inspection, I was amazed at the overall quality and feel of the bulb. Nice and solid, heavier than I thought, and just all around felt like a solid product. One of my favorite things about these bulbs is it allows you to change the color temperature of the bulb anytime you wish. Simply apply a different color film to the bulb and you have a whole new look! I decided on the deepest yellow color as I am a sucker for yellow fogs and DRL's. I have had this look on my past 3 cars so it was a very easy decision for me.

Installation was extremely simple and the fog bulbs turned into the sockets nice and tight. No wiggle or movement when locked down. Sometimes with aftermarket bulbs, you'll have a weaker base tabs and it just doesn't sit correctly in the socket. The SubieLED fog bulbs locked down really well. Tucked all the wires back up neatly and fired them up. SUPER yellow and really impressed with the overall color. Fills in the lower beam pattern of the lights and gives you a ton more usable light when driving on the darker back roads.

Next up was the DRL bulbs. Much easier access to them as I didn't have to remove as many push clips to get to where I needed to go. The DRL bulbs didn't click in as nicely as the fogs, but I threw the stock bulb seals on top of what was already on there and it really locked down well after that. No movement or wiggle on either side. Very happy with how these look coming down the road as it really gives the front end a mean look.

Automotive LED's have come a long way in a short time and I am happy to have SubieLED as a part of this car. They are such a great company to work with! Any questions I had, they responded quickly and had fast shipping! I would recommend them to any one out there looking to add some LED bulbs to their car.

IMG_1806 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1807 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1810 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1921 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1924 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1965 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1964 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1963 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

Bonus shot!

IMG_1928 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

Last edited by ScoobyFreak86; 04-01-2017 at 12:14 AM.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:42 PM   #56
manz79
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 111505
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: tampa, FL
Vehicle:
07 STi
Black GT3076

Default

Subscribed. You did a great job on your last Subaru, I'm curious to see how you will mod your new STi. I'm sure it will be clean just like the WRX was.
manz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #57
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manz79 View Post
Subscribed. You did a great job on your last Subaru, I'm curious to see how you will mod your new STi. I'm sure it will be clean just like the WRX was.
Thanks man. I appreciate it. I hope to take this STI the a similar level of detailedness. Now that I am a bit more familiar with the brand, it is a bit easier to choose my path and mods to know what I want and like. May be moving a bit slower than the WRX in terms of mods, but I will certainly be updating this as much as I can!
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #58
indoguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 444382
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2016 Subaru WRX 6 MT
CWP

Default

I love this type of story haha. Already subscribed for more!

The more I see it, the more I'm in love with Lapis Blue. Couldn't find around my area so I went with CWP

What part in Jersey are you? Join us in Garden State Subie! We have a lot of gatherings if you interested!
indoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #59
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoguy View Post
I love this type of story haha. Already subscribed for more!

The more I see it, the more I'm in love with Lapis Blue. Couldn't find around my area so I went with CWP

What part in Jersey are you? Join us in Garden State Subie! We have a lot of gatherings if you interested!
Thanks! Glad to hear you are going to be following along!

Lapis really wasn't on my radar for the 15+ STI for a while. I was really stuck on WRB, but the more I saw Lapis, the more I liked it. I was a big fan of galaxy blue in 2015, but was disappointed to hear it was discontinued and thought Lapis had too much purple in it. I went to a local dealer who happened to have a lapis on the lot all cleaned up and I was in love ever since. CWP was my second choice. I had satin white pearl on my wrx, so I knew it would be a color I liked, but wanted something different this time around. Really happy with my choice as no matter where I go, the color pops. Should be fun to mod!

I actually already am a part of the facebook group. I don't post much on there though. Hopefully I can swing by a few get together once I get the car to where I want it. My free time has been less than free lately and I can imagine it will be even worse once kid number 2 comes in June. But we shall see!
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #60
FL4TFTW
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256953
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Vehicle:
2014 Built DGM BRZ
2016 Fiesta ST WP Tricoat

Default

Oh man, I LOVE the purple. I had always wished I got my hatch in PBP instead of DGM. Although DGM is a great color.
FL4TFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #61
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL4TFTW View Post
Oh man, I LOVE the purple. I had always wished I got my hatch in PBP instead of DGM. Although DGM is a great color.
Haha yeah. I am a big fan of the purple hue it gives off. Most of the colors they offer I enjoy. Although, I wish the red was a bit different. Needs to be a bit darker.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #62
Mercs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 464974
Join Date: Mar 2017
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
White

Default

Love the colour! I was wondering why my ac fan was so audible inside, about to order one of those covers thanks to this thread!
Mercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #63
indoguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 444382
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2016 Subaru WRX 6 MT
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
Thanks! Glad to hear you are going to be following along!

Lapis really wasn't on my radar for the 15+ STI for a while. I was really stuck on WRB, but the more I saw Lapis, the more I liked it. I was a big fan of galaxy blue in 2015, but was disappointed to hear it was discontinued and thought Lapis had too much purple in it. I went to a local dealer who happened to have a lapis on the lot all cleaned up and I was in love ever since. CWP was my second choice. I had satin white pearl on my wrx, so I knew it would be a color I liked, but wanted something different this time around. Really happy with my choice as no matter where I go, the color pops. Should be fun to mod!

I actually already am a part of the facebook group. I don't post much on there though. Hopefully I can swing by a few get together once I get the car to where I want it. My free time has been less than free lately and I can imagine it will be even worse once kid number 2 comes in June. But we shall see!
Haha that's understandable! Family always comes first
indoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:53 PM   #64
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercs View Post
Love the colour! I was wondering why my ac fan was so audible inside, about to order one of those covers thanks to this thread!
it makes a big difference! Happy I got one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoguy View Post
Haha that's understandable! Family always comes first
Yes sir!
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #65
icedcoco
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 259021
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Central NJ
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Premium
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
My free time has been less than free lately and I can imagine it will be even worse once kid number 2 comes in June.
This. Though sometimes there is no better "free" time than that of taking the kids for a nice drive.
icedcoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #66
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedcoco View Post
This. Though sometimes there is no better "free" time than that of taking the kids for a nice drive.
Absolutely! It's great since the STI puts her to sleep almost every time. She hasn't fallen asleep in a car in months. First time she rode in the STI, asleep. It seems to be an ongoing occurrence only when shes in my car, so it's a win win. Subie rumble FTW!

Everytime we go into the garage she says "dadee's car!?" and points to go in. Looks like im nailing this parenting thing.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #67
Dalessio
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358693
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Welcome back, it'll be nice to follow your build again, and congrats on the kids!

I also ended up in a '15 WRX Limited that I got from a friend, but I still have my '11 SWP hatch...although I think it's finally time to sell it since we're looking for a house.
Dalessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #68
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalessio View Post
Welcome back, it'll be nice to follow your build again, and congrats on the kids!

I also ended up in a '15 WRX Limited that I got from a friend, but I still have my '11 SWP hatch...although I think it's finally time to sell it since we're looking for a house.
Thanks for coming back! Nice to come back to something so familiar.

Nice! I loved and sometimes miss my hatch. It really was a fun little car. But I am sure you can relate the massive upgrade in terms of quality from the GR to the VA.

I did similar moves when I had big upcoming life changes (sold m3 to help with first house. Sold WRX to help with first kid). Definitely helps puts you in a much better financial situation when adulting takes precedence.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #69
icedcoco
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 259021
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Central NJ
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Premium
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
Absolutely! It's great since the STI puts her to sleep almost every time. She hasn't fallen asleep in a car in months. First time she rode in the STI, asleep. It seems to be an ongoing occurrence only when shes in my car, so it's a win win. Subie rumble FTW!

Everytime we go into the garage she says "dadee's car!?" and points to go in. Looks like im nailing this parenting thing.
Win win for everybody! My older one now says "weeee" on off and on ramps...lol.

Oh, and nice LED bulbs.
icedcoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #70
ATMINSIDE
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 455092
Join Date: Sep 2016
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte, NC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

Default

Sub'd, nice work so far.

Can you comment on the DRL brightness vs OEM and if they are significantly dimmer than when you hit the high beams on?
ATMINSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #71
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedcoco View Post
Win win for everybody! My older one now says "weeee" on off and on ramps...lol.

Oh, and nice LED bulbs.
Nice! I've gotten a couple laughs from my daughter on a few accelerations. Although, I am still under the 1000k miles (around 960 now), so I haven't given it the full beans. Although, I did go to about 5,500 yesterday and was pretty shocked at how quick it felt. Feels much like my stage 1 oem+ wrx.

I love the LED's! I get compliments on them all the time. One thing I love about them is the instant on/off. No fade in/out like halogens, so when the car turns the headlights or high beams on, there is no stress on the bulbs switching back and forth. Automotive LED's have come a long way in a very short time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMINSIDE View Post
Sub'd, nice work so far.

Can you comment on the DRL brightness vs OEM and if they are significantly dimmer than when you hit the high beams on?
Thanks! Glad to hear you are along for the ride. Should be a fun one.

The LED's definitely are an improvement over stock. I found the fogs to fill in the lower area of the beam pattern much more cleanly than the stock halogens. I also found them to be much wider, so I can see much more on the side of the road.

As for the high beams, it takes some time getting used to the yellow color as opposed to the softer white of the stock bulbs. But I did notice the LED high beams protrude much higher and wider than the stock bulbs. Do they light up the road any farther or more than stock? I would say it's pretty on par with stock. It may be a tad brighter, but it's nothing that is going to make your jaw drop. Either way, I prefer the LED's on the car is it draws much less current and bulb life expectancy is much longer. I'm very happy with the bulbs I chose and would recommend them to anyone.

If you decide to snag a pair, let me know! I will be sure to send SubieLED a message to see if I can get a discount for you guys.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #72
ATMINSIDE
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 455092
Join Date: Sep 2016
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte, NC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
Thanks! Glad to hear you are along for the ride. Should be a fun one.

The LED's definitely are an improvement over stock. I found the fogs to fill in the lower area of the beam pattern much more cleanly than the stock halogens. I also found them to be much wider, so I can see much more on the side of the road.

As for the high beams, it takes some time getting used to the yellow color as opposed to the softer white of the stock bulbs. But I did notice the LED high beams protrude much higher and wider than the stock bulbs. Do they light up the road anymore than stock? I would say it's pretty on par with stock. It may be a tad brighter, but it's nothing that is going to make your jaw drop. Either way, I prefer the LED's on the car is it draws much less current and bulb life expectancy is much longer. I'm very happy with the bulbs I chose and would recommend them to anyone.

If you decide to snag a pair, let me know! I will be sure to send SubieLED a message to see if I can get a discount for you guys.
Good impressions on the coverage, that has been one of my sticking points with the factory bulbs.
I'm worried about the DRL mode being too bright though and blinding people with what is effectively a high beam. I'm sure when you hit them with the 12V for high beam it's more than bright enough, just wondering about the 6V brightness.

Also, did getting the fender emblems off give you any grief? Going to be doing mine soon, was planning on using a heat gun and some fishing line.
ATMINSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #73
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMINSIDE View Post
Good impressions on the coverage, that has been one of my sticking points with the factory bulbs.
I'm worried about the DRL mode being too bright though and blinding people with what is effectively a high beam. I'm sure when you hit them with the 12V for high beam it's more than bright enough, just wondering about the 6V brightness.

Also, did getting the fender emblems off give you any grief? Going to be doing mine soon, was planning on using a heat gun and some fishing line.
The lower 6v DRL brightness is bright, but I haven't had any issues since installing them. No flashing from other drivers. It's bright, but nothing I would be concerned about. And yes the high beams are plenty bright and wouldn't be concerned about them being TOO bright since they are used when no one is around. I would prefer them being overly bright in that scenario.

Once I got some leverage on the side badges, they came off easily. The hardest part was getting underneath at first since they are on there pretty well. Heated up with the heat gun and stuck some fishing line behind it to get it started. Once I got a finger behind it, I simply pulled them off as I applied some heat. Adhesive came off very easily as I applied some heat again and rolled it off with my finger. Cleaned them up after everything was off and stuck new badges on. Very simple mod that really cleans things up!
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #74
ATMINSIDE
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 455092
Join Date: Sep 2016
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte, NC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
The lower 6v DRL brightness is bright, but I haven't had any issues since installing them. No flashing from other drivers. It's bright, but nothing I would be concerned about. And yes the high beams are plenty bright and wouldn't be concerned about them being TOO bright since they are used when no one is around. I would prefer them being overly bright in that scenario.

Once I got some leverage on the side badges, they came off easily. The hardest part was getting underneath at first since they are on there pretty well. Heated up with the heat gun and stuck some fishing line behind it to get it started. Once I got a finger behind it, I simply pulled them off as I applied some heat. Adhesive came off very easily as I applied some heat again and rolled it off with my finger. Cleaned them up after everything was off and stuck new badges on. Very simple mod that really cleans things up!
No flashing from others is perfect. Definitely not worried about the 12V mode being overly bright.

Awesome, that's exactly how I planned to get at the side badges. Have a set in my garage, just waiting until it isn't storming one day when I get home from work and can clean up the car before doing all the badge work.
Want it to be clean so I don't scratch anything up as well as being clean to wax immediately after removal.

If you want to follow my log, here's a link:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2812618
ATMINSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #75
Dalessio
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358693
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

LED tech has developed leaps and bounds in the past few years, plug and play bulbs for headlights/fog lights were super expensive 3ish years ago and now are maybe $50-60 for very high quality ones. It's definitely developing extremely quickly, which is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
Thanks for coming back! Nice to come back to something so familiar.

Nice! I loved and sometimes miss my hatch. It really was a fun little car. But I am sure you can relate the massive upgrade in terms of quality from the GR to the VA.

I did similar moves when I had big upcoming life changes (sold m3 to help with first house. Sold WRX to help with first kid). Definitely helps puts you in a much better financial situation when adulting takes precedence.
For sure haha, sometimes there are things in life that take priority. And in all reality, I had planned on selling the GR before I got the VA, but it just never happened and it's been a while now.

And there are definitely parts of the GR platform that I prefer. The seats come to mind immediately, although I know most people prefer VA seats. I still prefer the look of the GR exterior styling, and the classic rumble from the EJ is something that I will always miss but at least STI owners have it (take that as a plus or minus lol). But overall the VA is much more comfortable of a ride, the interior is MUCH more refined and updated, the FA delivers power much better, and while I feel like the VA handles much better...I felt more connected to the road in the GR. I don't know how to describe it, but when IAG asked how I felt about each platform, I tried to describe it that way and they knew exactly what I was talking about lol, so there's that.
Dalessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.