Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 11, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #29951
Ladeef
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318753
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Dark Grey

Default

Hi all, try the ignore button on drpoop, it makes this forum actually tolerable. cheers!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Ladeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #29952
Obviously Tyler
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 395955
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bucks County, PA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Premium
Rock Chip Metallic

Default

I hated the seats in my 14 Impreza.

But oddly enough I love the cloth seats in my WRX, considering they're just about the same as the Impreza's but with more side bolster and lumbar support. And less squeaking.

That god awful squeaking...
Obviously Tyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #29953
drpoop
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 421858
Join Date: May 2015
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Default

Thanks for continuing to post about seats, I kept forgetting to put my seat heater pad back on the seat now that it's cold out. Now I can finally remember to do that. I know I could just install a heater pad into the seat but it's something like $150 and an hour or two of work or $10 and 30 seconds of work. I go for functionality over looks so the fact that it looks kinda cheap doesn't bother me at all, it works.
drpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #29954
subypete
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324361
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern California
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
ICM 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
Good news: no external leaks
Bad news: car is using oil

I think next time it is down a qt i will dump in seafoam or marvel or kerosene and idle it as suggested then dump it for new oil.
I tried Marvel, same burn rate (1/2 qt per 1200 miles) before and after. I haven't tried sea foam yet but if you do let me know how that works out for you.
subypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:06 PM   #29955
drpoop
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 421858
Join Date: May 2015
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Default

What about PCV valves flyboy?
drpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #29956
drpoop
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 421858
Join Date: May 2015
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Default

Lol **** subaru ��

First, fuel pressure release procedure does absolutely nothing at all. Maybe it goes from 100psi or whatever to 90psi, but it does nothing, even going well beyond what they say for cranking.

Unless you actually ran your tank dry it makes a mess.

The service manual leaves out important steps.

Never doing that again. If I have this turd at 120k I'm having a dealer service center do that.

Also, flyboy, do you throw some dirt in with your gas? I took the filter out of the old canister thing and mine was just kinda greyish, probably could have gone to 100k without a problem. I remember yours was black.

Last edited by drpoop; 11-14-2017 at 02:09 PM.
drpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #29957
CalTech87
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 348055
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5MT
ISM

Default

On a road trip last month I was cruising up toward Yosemite when a heavy duty tote lid, an RV skylight, or something of the sort flew off an oncoming RV right into my front end. It shattered a bit on impact despite its thickness and sent shrapnel all over.

I hit the breaks enough that it didnt land directly on my windshield which probably would have ended my trip. In hindsight it would have been a lot cheaper to let the windshield go though.

I cant even open my hood now because its warped as seen in the second picture. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Should I try to finagle it so it can be opened? I dont plan on a permanent fix until after I move in a couple months but need to put some oil in at LEAST.



CalTech87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #29958
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpoop View Post
What about PCV valves flyboy?

Just changed it, old one still rattled though too. Might try another.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #29959
drpoop
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 421858
Join Date: May 2015
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Default

You didn't think to... you know... chase them down and call 911?
drpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #29960
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpoop View Post
Lol **** subaru ��

First, fuel pressure release procedure does absolutely nothing at all. Maybe it goes from 100psi or whatever to 90psi, but it does nothing, even going well beyond what they say for cranking.

Unless you actually ran your tank dry it makes a mess.

The service manual leaves out important steps.

Never doing that again. If I have this turd at 120k I'm having a dealer service center do that.

Also, flyboy, do you throw some dirt in with your gas? I took the filter out of the old canister thing and mine was just kinda greyish, probably could have gone to 100k without a problem. I remember yours was black.


I didn't have issues with fuel spraying

I also changed my filter closer to 100k, pretty severe lack of top tier around here, at least where i used to work.

Interval is 75k btw, not 60k IIRC
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #29961
drpoop
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 421858
Join Date: May 2015
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Default

I meant to ask that, I still think mine was barely dark at all for 61k.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance3.html it's 60k according to this

I don't know why fuel sprayed. First, I did the fuel pressure release thing and cranked it longer than they said to anyway. It was still super high pressure so I put everything back and went and cranked and cranked and cranked and probably made my starter cry, it still poured out fuel with a bit of pressure.

To get the pressure back up after I replaced the filter, I just cycled the ignition several times, I mean, you can hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key to on.
drpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #29962
theoutbackdream
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301179
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: California
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Limited
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTech87 View Post
On a road trip last month I was cruising up toward Yosemite when a heavy duty tote lid, an RV skylight, or something of the sort flew off an oncoming RV right into my front end. It shattered a bit on impact despite its thickness and sent shrapnel all over.

I hit the breaks enough that it didnt land directly on my windshield which probably would have ended my trip. In hindsight it would have been a lot cheaper to let the windshield go though.

I cant even open my hood now because its warped as seen in the second picture. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Should I try to finagle it so it can be opened? I dont plan on a permanent fix until after I move in a couple months but need to put some oil in at LEAST.



First off.... WTFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would've been cheaper, but it could've also beheaded you if it did fly through the windshield.

Never had experience with that, but you could try getting underneath the car and try pushing up on the hood while trying to open up the latch to release it.

Did you at least get the persons info to pay for damages?
theoutbackdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #29963
ObewanKenobi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 428583
Join Date: Aug 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: All over
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Venetian Red Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeef View Post
Hi all, try the ignore button on drpoop, it makes this forum actually tolerable. cheers!
ObewanKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #29964
drpoop
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 421858
Join Date: May 2015
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Default

Forgot to add there was also a big ass mouse nest (that fluffy stuff they somehow find, kinda looks like torn up firewall but it's not) on top of the filter/pump. I'm sure it's been abandoned for probably years now, in MN I used to get them in my air filter box once in a while, nothing since though.
drpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:40 PM   #29965
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpoop View Post
Forgot to add there was also a big ass mouse nest (that fluffy stuff they somehow find, kinda looks like torn up firewall but it's not) on top of the filter/pump. I'm sure it's been abandoned for probably years now, in MN I used to get them in my air filter box once in a while, nothing since though.


Had one in exact same spot. Probably should check other side too, same thing over there on mine. At least the insulation came from my neighbors truck and not my car :/
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:43 PM   #29966
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpoop View Post
I meant to ask that, I still think mine was barely dark at all for 61k.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance3.html it's 60k according to this

I don't know why fuel sprayed. First, I did the fuel pressure release thing and cranked it longer than they said to anyway. It was still super high pressure so I put everything back and went and cranked and cranked and cranked and probably made my starter cry, it still poured out fuel with a bit of pressure.

To get the pressure back up after I replaced the filter, I just cycled the ignition several times, I mean, you can hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key to on.


My service manual says 75k, i trust that more than a dealer website
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 PM   #29967
drpoop
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 421858
Join Date: May 2015
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Default

Dunno, usually the service centers match up with the recommended service from Subaru. Either way, not really a huge deal whether it's 60 or 75k, the parts and labor will always cost too much.
drpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:40 PM   #29968
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Changed pcv again with last new one i had. Only 2500 miles on it and it didn't rattle until spraying a tiny bit of brake cleaner through it, but it is also 25f outside.

Might try to get one of the new shiny ones vs plain steel
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #29969
drpoop
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 421858
Join Date: May 2015
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Default

I may have no idea what I'm talking about here but wouldn't your intake manifold probably be coated in oil if the PCV valve was stuck? I can't remember what connects to what now.
drpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:09 AM   #29970
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default 2012 Impreza thread

Yes, there is some oil in the intake manifold. It's possible it's sticking but i doubt it because it isn't carboned up, just a bit of oil and at cold temps would make it stick until warmed up.

My catch can had a minimal amount of oil in it before I removed it for winter, this engine produces so much condensation it isnt funny, it will just freeze up my catch can if I don't remove it for winter.

When I removed the catch can i did change pcv valves for the heck of it, and if either isn't the issue or i went from a mediocre one to a bad one, but a pcv is such a simple device it is hard to believe any could be bad

Last edited by flyboy1100; 11-15-2017 at 07:46 AM.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #29971
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

So in "what the heck, can't hurt" fashion i was thinking about my oil issues today and my oil consumption started about the exact same time I went from rev3a to rev5 tune, so possibly just coincidence but I did flash back to 3a tonight.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:06 AM   #29972
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Vehicle:
'12 Sport Limited
Mobil 1 0W20 137,072 mi

Default 2012 Impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
this engine produces so much condensation it isnt funny
OMG! Like nothing I've ever seen before either. About two weeks ago I put an aluminum duct over the tail pipe and ran it under the garage door because I had the car idling after a cold start. When I removed it about 15 minutes later, my right foot got drenched with water.

Fingers crossed on flashing the tune to a previous setting.
CLL_OBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #29973
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL_OBP View Post
OMG! Like nothing I've ever seen before either. About two weeks ago I put an aluminum duct over the tail pipe and ran it under the garage door because I had the car idling after a cold start. When I removed it about 15 minutes later, my right foot got drenched with water.



Fingers crossed on flashing the tune to a previous setting.


I would love to run my oil collector bottle all year but the condescension fills it up in about 2 weeks and then freezes solid :/

Gonna be a while before i see if a new pcv and the tune reversion makes a difference since I currently rotate between 3 vehicles (subaru, my truck, excursion)
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #29974
drpoop
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 421858
Join Date: May 2015
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL_OBP View Post
OMG! Like nothing I've ever seen before either. About two weeks ago I put an aluminum duct over the tail pipe and ran it under the garage door because I had the car idling after a cold start. When I removed it about 15 minutes later, my right foot got drenched with water.

Fingers crossed on flashing the tune to a previous setting.
That would be from fuel. Anything that makes it out the exhaust is from burned fuel. Hydrocarbon + oxygen = H20 and CO2.
drpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #29975
supertoast
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 425248
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Eastern US
Vehicle:
2015 Impreza Prem 4d
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

These engines burn the absolute p*** out of fuel when cold starting too. Probably not much different than most other modern engines.
supertoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Impreza STI concept art khaki_man Member's Car Gallery 37 03-15-2011 03:02 AM
Newsflash: 2012 Impreza looks like BigElm's Butt WagonMonster Off-Topic 4 02-28-2011 08:11 PM
2012 Impreza Concept Zakster87 General Community 14 11-17-2010 05:09 PM
Possibly looking into a 2011 or 2012 Impreza? xenonk Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 1 08-05-2010 10:48 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.