Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 12, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-02-2018, 01:02 AM   #1
btktwood
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 491425
Vehicle:
2005 FXT

Default Not sure what to look for...

So, I have this 05 FXT that I just picked up. At first when I picked it up I thought, hey... this is pretty quick. Then when I started to do some reading I realized that it wasn't quite as quick as it should be. I started to dig into it a little and found out it's only putting out around 8 lbs of boost. I've read a bit on several forums and have tried some things but nothing has helped so far. This is what I've done to date:

- Check to make sure the EBCS was working.
- Replaced majority of vacuum hoses.
- Installed Tomei inlet
- Installed Perrin up pipe
- Installed Turboxs down and mid pipe
- Installed Accessport

At this point I'm not sure what to do... I have data logged a couple of pulls but the more I look at it and try to decipher it, the more I realize I don't know what is what.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone is in the mid Michigan area and has any expertise they would want to share that would be awesome!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NP...AF5MqlBgGgtX0P
btktwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2018, 02:28 AM   #2
relative4
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 203132
Vehicle:
2005 LGT 5MT Stg2

Something's up with your boost control. Check the boost control hoses, test the actuator, check for wiggle in the wastegate shaft, pull the downpipe and make sure the wastegate is aligned, check for play in the impeller shaft.
relative4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:51 AM   #3
btktwood
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 FXT

I have replaced all the boost control hoses, made sure the pill was in its place and tested the controller by connecting the green connectors under the dash. I could hear it open and close and could blow through the line when it was open. Checked the wastegate shaft and there is no play in it. When I put the down pipe on last week I made sure to check the alignment and it is seating properly. When I reached in the impeller spun freely with no play.

I had read somewhere else to pull the line off the boost controller to see if the boost would climb. I went up 1-2 lbs but that was it.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
dryvby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49931
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
0305 wrx/Xt
black/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Something's up with your boost control. Check the boost control hoses, test the actuator, check for wiggle in the wastegate shaft, pull the downpipe and make sure the wastegate is aligned, check for play in the impeller shaft.

^This. Go back and swap the lines around on the ebc and see what happens.
dryvby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #5
btktwood
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 FXT

A little more into about the log
- 3rd gear
- 93 octane fuel
- 770' elevation
- about 50 deg F
- not sure on intake temp
- stock turbo (rebuilt about 40k ago)

The wastegate lever was a little sloppy when I started looking into this. I disconnected the arm and tightened it until about 1/4 of the pin was short of the hole then reattached. I tried a little more and a little less than that with no difference.

I have a Grimmspeed EBCS that I was waiting to install until everything was good and I could get it tuned. I temporarily installed it today (with all new plumbing) to see if there would be any difference... there was none so I reconnected the factory one. I tried swapping the lines on the factory one as well with no change.

I did a smoke test today and found no leaks.

Pulled the PCV and cleaned it. I am confident that it is good but ordering a new one just in case.

When I drive around, as long as I don't get into the boost much the DAM stays at 1 and there is no knock.

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 10-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #6
btktwood
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 FXT

I took a video of the turbo today. It feels like there is a little vibration after changing the up, down and mid pipes. I checked to make sure everything had clearance and was tight. All was good... In the video I would have thought that there would have been more wastegate movement but there appears to be none..... and yet as soon as the boost gets to 8lbs it drops off and I start to get fine knock learn and then feedback knock. As long as I don't boost past 8lbs all else appears to be good from what I can tell (which isn't much...). Also, does the motor appear to have too much movement?

Old 10-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
need2blower
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 113908

The log shows that the ecu is outputting to the boost solenoid to bleed off boost so it's not abnormal to me to not see the wastegate move in that video. I think the issue is one of two things - The turbo is just not spinning fast enough to make target boost or the tune is very bad causing the engine to run so poorly its not flowing enough air to spin the turbo faster. The down and mid pipes are new so I don't suspect they would be causing excessive back pressure - can you disconnect the mid pipe just for a pull to rule out a blockage in the mufflers? Also, do you have a wideband to see what the AFR's are doing when boost is dropping off?
need2blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
btktwood
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 FXT

Disconnected the muffler and took it for a spin. There was no change. I was really hoping for more feedback at this point but I think I will end up having to try and find someone to look at it. I really need to use the vehicle for a trip coming up in a few days but not sure if I should take it now or not. If I stay out of the boost and just cruise with it then everything seems fine and the car runs great otherwise.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #9
dryvby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49931
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
0305 wrx/Xt
black/black

Which map do you have installed? I was thinking maybe a valet map possibly..
dryvby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #10
btktwood
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 FXT

I currently have the stage2 91 ATv300 installed. I had the Stage2 93 ATv300 installed before this. I changed hoping it would be better but no luck. Plus, I was having the boost issue prior to getting the accessport.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
Turpid Porpoise
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 476573
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

You have up to -12* of feedback knock from 5600 RPM on.

What is your full list of mods?

You need to log more PIDS to paint a better picture of what is going on in your motor. Start with these:
A/F Correction 1
A/F Learning 1
A/F Sens 1 Ratio
Boost
Baro. Pressure
Calculated Load
Coolant Temp
Dyn. Adv. Mult
RPM
Feedback Knock
Fine Knock Learn
Ignition Timing
Inj. Duty Cycle
Intake Temp
MAF Volt
Man. Abs. Press.
Throttle Pos.
Vehicle Speed
Wastegate Duty

Also, make sure you're not using the valet key. Make sure you are filling it with high octane gas and check all your fluid levels.
Turpid Porpoise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:03 AM   #12
btktwood
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 FXT

All mods are listed up in the first post.

I checked the extra PIDs and will catalog tomorrow. I will not do a full pull because as soon as it gets to around 3-4K rpm I start to get knock. I only run 93 octane and I have used both sets of keys so Iím sure itís not the valet. Also, all fluids are checked and topped off.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #13
Turpid Porpoise
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

Post whatever log you take when you can but reset the ECU learning before you log.

How long were you running the up/down pipes before the accessport was installed?

Pull your spark plugs and see how they look as well. Wouldn't hurt to change them while you are pulling them.

Last edited by Turpid Porpoise; 10-05-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #14
John Connor
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 489892
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2004 FXT 5 speed
Silver

I know you checked the pill, but did you ensure it was the right size?

Have you cleaned your crank position sensor lately?

How do your grounds look?

Have you had an auto parts store test your batt. recently?
John Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:09 AM   #15
btktwood
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 FXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpid Porpoise View Post
Post whatever log you take when you can but reset the ECU learning before you log.

How long were you running the up/down pipes before the accessport was installed?

Pull your spark plugs and see how they look as well. Wouldn't hurt to change them while you are pulling them.
Finally got a chance to log some. I installed the pipes at the same time as I got the accessport. The issue was before the pipes tho. I installed new plugs at the same time as I installed the pipes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cr...dgbCfVLLeZjHYl

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Xe...JNg-3teuCQBiob

I have to make a trip from Michigan to Virginia with it tomorrow...
Old 10-08-2018, 08:24 AM   #16
Turpid Porpoise
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

Cant look at the logs atm but where in VA? If you make it down here and you will be close to my location I may be able to help you troubleshoot in person
Old 10-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #17
btktwood
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 FXT

Quote:
Cant look at the logs atm but where in VA? If you make it down here and you will be close to my location I may be able to help you troubleshoot in person
I will be in Richmond area. I should be there for at least Tuesday and Wednesday.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #18
Turpid Porpoise
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by btktwood View Post
I will be in Richmond area. I should be there for at least Tuesday and Wednesday.
Yea that's too far for me but you are still getting -12* of feedback knock with 100% throttle in the same RPM range and excessive fine knock learn. You may have a mechanical issue with your motor that is causing the ECU to pull excessive timing and creating your boost issue.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:08 AM   #19
btktwood
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 FXT

Quote:
Yea that's too far for me but you are still getting -12* of feedback knock with 100% throttle in the same RPM range and excessive fine knock learn. You may have a mechanical issue with your motor that is causing the ECU to pull excessive timing and creating your boost issue.
Yeah, I see that... I am looking for someone around my area to do compression, leak down, vac/boot tests when I get back. The crazy this about this whole issue is that other than the boost issue the car runs great. It doesn't smoke, doesn't consume oil, just seems to run like you would expect... except with crap for boost. Could the TVGs cause this issue? I only ask because I had done another log prior to the current log setup. I don't know, maybe they are fine but it seems like there should be voltage changes???

Where about in Virginia are you located?
Old 10-08-2018, 03:53 PM   #20
Turpid Porpoise
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by btktwood View Post
Yeah, I see that... I am looking for someone around my area to do compression, leak down, vac/boot tests when I get back. The crazy this about this whole issue is that other than the boost issue the car runs great. It doesn't smoke, doesn't consume oil, just seems to run like you would expect... except with crap for boost. Could the TVGs cause this issue? I only ask because I had done another log prior to the current log setup. I don't know, maybe they are fine but it seems like there should be voltage changes???

Where about in Virginia are you located?
I don't believe the TGV's could cause this, once the motor is warm they are open. I'm in Lovettsville, the very northern tip of VA.

Do you hear any rattles while you're driving? Something is tripping the knock sensor and pulling all sorts of timing.

Pull the oil cap with the motor running and see if you get any smoke out of the oil fill location.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:19 PM   #21
btktwood
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 FXT

Quote:
I don't believe the TGV's could cause this, once the motor is warm they are open. I'm in Lovettsville, the very northern tip of VA.

Do you hear any rattles while you're driving? Something is tripping the knock sensor and pulling all sorts of timing.

Pull the oil cap with the motor running and see if you get any smoke out of the oil fill location.
I did start having a rattle at random times after installing the new exhaust. Just yesterday I was able to chase it down... the exhaust is shifting slightly rearward after accelerating/braking hard and the hanger on the rear of the muffler is hitting/vibrating on the trailer hitch. I ordered a new pitch stop and group N motor mounts. The existing mounts don't look totally roached but having 150K miles on them it should surely be an improvement with the new ones. Hopefully that will eliminate the exhaust moving.

I have pulled the oil cap, both with the engine cold and hot, there is no smoke at all. Same with the tailpipe... cold start or hot start, there is no smoke at all.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #22
btktwood
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 FXT

So, it was nice the other day and I had the windows down on the car. Under gradual acceleration I thought I could hear some pinging. Tried to get a video at that time and couldn't get a good recording. Finally got a good one today.