Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday March 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #176
ChanandlerBong
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 496705

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS4 View Post
For an in warranty car it is fine.
But people need to understand what a replacement costs when the warranty is up. From what I understand the CVT and center differential is one huge non-serviceable unit that is very expensive to replace.
Iíve found a few with less than 100k for about 300$. Expensive compared to a 4eat for 100$. Thereís a 2013 Impreza engine and cvt transmission for 900$ for sale in my area. They want 900$ for the complete subframe assembly from the same car.
ChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #177
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru

Member#: 98210
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2016 Forester XT CWP
2002 WRX SRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanandlerBong View Post
Iíve found a few with less than 100k for about 300$. Expensive compared to a 4eat for 100$. Thereís a 2013 Impreza engine and cvt transmission for 900$ for sale in my area. They want 900$ for the complete subframe assembly from the same car.
That is not the same transmission lol
Celery GT-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #178
snowmanwithahat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 328283
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

For those of you that know this transmission... It's the same one in the Legacy with the 3.6, right?

I turned 78k miles this weekend, still haven't had issue. I don't exactly race it, as it sees a lot of highway miles, but sometimes I do pretend it's the same as my dearly missed '04 STI... Will keep you all updated, I intend to take this well past 100k
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #179
n7slc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443545
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited CVT
Lightning Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat View Post
For those of you that know this transmission... It's the same one in the Legacy with the 3.6, right?

Yes, sir.
n7slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #180
Shinka
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 396466

Quote:
Originally Posted by n7slc View Post
Heat is definitely a killer. Not sure about the warranty. You’d think SOA would be fine with someone trying to protect the equipment by keeping temps lower. Mine is a rebuilt so no factory warranty anyway.
Like I mentioned, it's an option, depends on how you drive it and the climate of your location...if you drive like an idiot, nothing will last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat View Post

I turned 78k miles this weekend, still haven't had issue. I don't exactly race it, as it sees a lot of highway miles, but sometimes I do pretend it's the same as my dearly missed '04 STI... Will keep you all updated, I intend to take this well past 100k
No, they are not the same...they are both CVTs, but not the same transmission...do a bit more research before you jump in...

As for as the cvt fluid goes, just change it when you do the diffs...there's no such thing as lifetime fluid...dude, you got metal rubbing metal inside the trans...it's simple logic, not rocket science...
Shinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #181
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru

Member#: 98210
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2016 Forester XT CWP
2002 WRX SRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by n7slc View Post
Yes, sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinka View Post
No, they are not the same...
gotta love forums

As far as i know they are both High Torque CVT's but possibly not exactly them. So you're both right maybe
Celery GT-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:33 PM   #182
n7slc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443545
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited CVT
Lightning Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery GT-5 View Post
gotta love forums

As far as i know they are both High Torque CVT's but possibly not exactly them. So you're both right maybe

Seriously, people in forums can be such dicks.

The 3.6 Outback uses the TR690 HTCVT which is the same as the WRX and FXT. Iím certain I read in another thread that the 3.6 Legacy also has the TR690. Obviously, the 2.5 would be different.
n7slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:57 AM   #183
Nahoward
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486869
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX CVT Stage 1
Lapis Blue

I'm sitting at about 8k miles on a '18 WRX CVT, and it's been generally fine thus far. Trying to be cautious as I'm generally trying to drive gently until the CVT is warmed up to operating temperature.

I have also gone stage 1, but I have no other power mods so I'm generally expecting everything to be fine. From what I have seen thus far with Stage 1, it definitely made Sport and S# modes MUCH better.

I'll keep watching it, and see how things go.
Nahoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #184
snowmanwithahat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 328283
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoward View Post
I'm sitting at about 8k miles on a '18 WRX CVT, and it's been generally fine thus far. Trying to be cautious as I'm generally trying to drive gently until the CVT is warmed up to operating temperature.

I have also gone stage 1, but I have no other power mods so I'm generally expecting everything to be fine. From what I have seen thus far with Stage 1, it definitely made Sport and S# modes MUCH better.

I'll keep watching it, and see how things go.
You guys make me laugh how cautious you are. I'm turning 80k miles and have hit WOT once a day, often after it warms up, but I'm definitely not babying it.
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote