Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 11, 2019
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #5126
kenshapiro2002
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 346708
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bawlmer, MD
Default

66 with an 05 Saabaru. Invidia Q300 from the turbo back, STI trans mount, N Group engine mounts, Cobb AP running a stage 2.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kenshapiro2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #5127
Roy Batty
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 498828
Join Date: Mar 2019
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Silver

Default

I purchased my first WRX base model in 2005 at age 38. I sold that car in 2018 and picked up a BRZ. Now at 52 I Just sold the BRZ after 6 months and bought a 2019 WRX base model which I hope to drive as long as the first WRX I owned.
Roy Batty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:00 AM   #5128
queball
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 498818
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Australia
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
Black

Default

35, owned a 06 Hawkeye since new.

Exterior mods plans have changed over the years, but currently the exterior mod list will be Rims, Tint, badge mods and a simple lip kit.

Not after a ricer look, just a clean mean looking car.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:24 PM   #5129
chansdaman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 457390
Join Date: Oct 2016
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

37 years old Army officer with a 2002 Wagon checking in. After wrenching/learning/and eventually breaking things, decided to pay a quality shop to go all out on a build. Turning out to be an expensive but fun hobby!
chansdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:17 AM   #5130
MidlifeCrisisCar
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 498880
Join Date: Mar 2019
Default Stay immature

I'm 51 just bought a 2018 sti and going to stage 2+ with the goal of 300+whp, I love the looks I get from people who expect to see anyone other than a middle aged guy with his kids in that car with the huge wing in world rally blue.

Build what you want, have fun with it and remember you have to get older not boring.
MidlifeCrisisCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:43 AM   #5131
07blksti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 146303
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Virginia
Default

I was 23 when this tread started...now 10 years later I belong in here.... time flies
07blksti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:58 PM   #5132
pboy1984
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 391824
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07blksti View Post
I was 23 when this tread started...now 10 years later I belong in here.... time flies
Haha, same here, 24 actually and now here I am.
pboy1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #5133
jcisneros
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 498896
Join Date: Mar 2019
Default

32 and just got my first STI, Pure Red 2018 Limited.
jcisneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #5134
Steye05
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197008
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Bradford, MA
Vehicle:
2016 STI Limited
Silver

Default

30 years old. Married for 3 years, together 7. Planning on having one little one in a few years. I've owned quite a bit of Subaru's in the past.
01 RSTI - 450/490whp/wtq
03 WRX fully swapped 257 w/6 spd etc
05 STI - 350/372whp/wtq
13 WRX - 330/370 whp/wtq
Current: 16' STI limited - Cobb AP, Cobb SF w/box and CBE waiting for good weather to install. Simple build compared to others (you know because of that kid in a few years lol)
Steye05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #5135
FXT_blue
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493821
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

58. Just bought '14 WRX hatchback.
Considering headlight upgrade. Keep other exterior stock.
FXT_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #5136
JSte99
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 498751
Join Date: Mar 2019
Default 31

I'm 31. Just bought a 2003 WRX with 213,918 miles on it. It has a Cobb Turbo back, SF Intake, and Accessport V2. Exterior the only thing it has done that i can see is the wheels. Previous owner put some 17x8's from a 2013 WRX it it. I'd like to take the whale's tail off of it and put a ducktail or STI wing on it. Haven't decided which. I want it to have the factory Sedona Red Pearl paint. Slightly lowered. Nothing crazy. Just clean it up and get it running bulletproof.
JSte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #5137
surfdontswim
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 499276
Join Date: Mar 2019
Default

51. Kicker speaker upgrade. Complete LED conversion. BPV changed. K&N High Flow Air Filter. OEM footwell illumination. Rockford Fosgate Punch Dual 12's with Rockford Punch Amp & Rockford 1 Farad Capacitor.
surfdontswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #5138
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indianapolis area
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07blksti View Post
I was 23 when this tread started...now 10 years later I belong in here.... time flies
I was 25 when it started.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #5139
Norm Peterson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 498642
Join Date: Mar 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: our wrx IS the family sedan
Vehicle:
'19 WRX Limited 6MT
'08 Mustang GT (the toy)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07blksti View Post
I was 23 when this tread started...now 10 years later I belong in here.... time flies
I wish it would slow down a bit. Even back then I could have qualified for the age part twice, all by myself Wife, not quite twice (shhhhh). She really, really likes this car.


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #5140
subiewill
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 121226
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Texas
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX
Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I wish it would slow down a bit. Even back then I could have qualified twice for being in here, all by myself Wife, not quite twice (shhhhh).


Norm
Same Norm from M6G/in the GT350 discussions? Might be a small world.
subiewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #5141
Norm Peterson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 498642
Join Date: Mar 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: our wrx IS the family sedan
Vehicle:
'19 WRX Limited 6MT
'08 Mustang GT (the toy)

Default

Might be, indeed . . .


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #5142
nimmer23
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 499295
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

I'm 43 and just picked up a 2019 STI last Saturday. So far I am loving it!!
nimmer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #5143
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

I'm 32 and traded my '16 WRX in for a '19 STI last Saturday.
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #5144
Straight6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 419593
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlifeCrisisCar View Post
I'm 51 just bought a 2018 sti and going to stage 2+ with the goal of 300+whp, I love the looks I get from people who expect to see anyone other than a middle aged guy with his kids in that car with the huge wing in world rally blue.

Build what you want, have fun with it and remember you have to get older not boring.
Username checks out.
Straight6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #5145
xtremsiege2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 232721
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2015 wrx premium
ICM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6 View Post
Username checks out.
As does yours on the bmw and jeep yj/xj forums...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
I'm 32 and traded my '16 WRX in for a '19 STI last Saturday.
I'm sure you love it, what are your thoughts thus far compared to wrx?

Is it really a completely different car? I guess my 2015 would appear it with the dated radio and cloth seats
xtremsiege2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #5146
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremsiege2 View Post
I'm sure you love it, what are your thoughts thus far compared to wrx?

Is it really a completely different car? I guess my 2015 would appear it with the dated radio and cloth seats
I had considered trading up for quite some time now, but was finally able to get a deal that I just couldn't say no to. The STI came with the Recaro package (Recaro seats & keyless access/push-button start), Popular package #1 (Center armrest extension, wheel locks, auto dimming compass mirror w/ homelink, rear cargo tray, and rear bumper applique), Shifter package (shift knob & STI short throw shifter), and rear splash guards.

MSRP $41,622
Invoice $38,802

I got it for $37,552 ($4,070 under MSRP, $1,250 under invoice). I was also able to get the 1.9% financing through Subaru.

The driving feel is completely different. The shifter, steering, brakes, handling, exhaust note, etc. is everything that I wanted the WRX to be and would have spent way more money trying to replicate. The 2018+ has the much nicer and quieter interior. The Recaro seats are such an upgrade from my cloth base model seats! The radio is nicer and the speakers sound better. The LED steering responsive headlights and LED c lights are also a nice touch. Of course, the main trade off will be in fuel economy.

My WRX had a few simple mods, mainly flex fuel and upgraded TMIC making 330whp and getting up to 29mpg on flex fuel (E50). The WRX was obviously faster than my stock STI, but I haven't really noticed it much. The shorter gearing and all of the more mechanical inputs make the STI feel fast and more raw. It just has a more "old school" feel to it. In comparison, the WRX felt much "softer" and more like a toy. If you're interested in upgrading, I recommend going to test drive one if you haven't already. You'll immediately know if the trade up is worth it to you.

The FA20 responds better to mods (and for cheaper) than the EJ257, but the FA20 is also known to bend rods and doesn't have the iconic Subaru rumble. If you're not into modding, then the STI is definitely the better choice. So far I'm extremely happy with the purchase and the driving experience. Hopefully it'll keep the mod bug from biting for a while.. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'm happy to share my experience!
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #5147
xtremsiege2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 232721
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2015 wrx premium
ICM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
I had considered trading up for quite some time now, but was finally able to get a deal that I just couldn't say no to. The STI came with the Recaro package (Recaro seats & keyless access/push-button start), Popular package #1 (Center armrest extension, wheel locks, auto dimming compass mirror w/ homelink, rear cargo tray, and rear bumper applique), Shifter package (shift knob & STI short throw shifter), and rear splash guards.

MSRP $41,622
Invoice $38,802

I got it for $37,552 ($4,070 under MSRP, $1,250 under invoice). I was also able to get the 1.9% financing through Subaru.

The driving feel is completely different. The shifter, steering, brakes, handling, exhaust note, etc. is everything that I wanted the WRX to be and would have spent way more money trying to replicate. The 2018+ has the much nicer and quieter interior. The Recaro seats are such an upgrade from my cloth base model seats! The radio is nicer and the speakers sound better. The LED steering responsive headlights and LED c lights are also a nice touch. Of course, the main trade off will be in fuel economy.

My WRX had a few simple mods, mainly flex fuel and upgraded TMIC making 330whp and getting up to 29mpg on flex fuel (E50). The WRX was obviously faster than my stock STI, but I haven't really noticed it much. The shorter gearing and all of the more mechanical inputs make the STI feel fast and more raw. It just has a more "old school" feel to it. In comparison, the WRX felt much "softer" and more like a toy. If you're interested in upgrading, I recommend going to test drive one if you haven't already. You'll immediately know if the trade up is worth it to you.

The FA20 responds better to mods (and for cheaper) than the EJ257, but the FA20 is also known to bend rods and doesn't have the iconic Subaru rumble. If you're not into modding, then the STI is definitely the better choice. So far I'm extremely happy with the purchase and the driving experience. Hopefully it'll keep the mod bug from biting for a while.. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'm happy to share my experience!
Awesome review, thanks for the fast reply. This is exactly what I did not want to hear haha. I think I know what must be done at this point in the coming months. Fortunately with 6 weddings and motorcycle track days I can delay this upgrade for a little bit longer.
xtremsiege2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:26 PM   #5148
traininvain3eb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 437708
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default

33, 2015 STI Stage 2ish with Nameless 4" exhaust.

Thinking of putting her up for sale, the new M2 has caught my eye and I have too many cars that aren't great commuters . . .
traininvain3eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:04 PM   #5149
1VIPWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 107554
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: some where in NY
Vehicle:
03 03/07
yellow

Default

36, doing another round of mods , built motor , trans , etc. 03 wrx bought used 10 years ago
1VIPWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #5150
SPDE RA
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 497867
Join Date: Feb 2019
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Southern California
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STi type RA
WR Blue

Thumbs up Same here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlifeCrisisCar View Post
I'm 51 just bought a 2018 sti and going to stage 2+ with the goal of 300+whp, I love the looks I get from people who expect to see anyone other than a middle aged guy with his kids in that car with the huge wing in world rally blue.

Build what you want, have fun with it and remember you have to get older not boring.
Same here! We can now finally afford our toys so WHY not?!?!?!! Oh (55)
I'm just finishing up my Stage 1+ and starting to plan for Stage 2+ like yourself. Love my Subi!
SPDE RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many OTters are in IT? Dirty25RS Off-Topic 62 06-04-2010 09:18 PM
how many here are still in High School? vthokies422 General Community 268 10-09-2009 11:33 PM
I want to start taking nice pics w/ a 30 yr old camera... bobturismo Off-Topic 7 08-26-2004 03:48 PM
how many here are running a non-stock turbo? Benjamin Tang Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 2 05-23-2004 01:17 PM
How many here are previous DSM owners? joostin420 General Forum Archive 27 01-21-2001 01:24 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.