Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday April 23, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #1
mhoward1
Scooby Guru

Member#: 9481
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Default Corvette C8 chassis issue delaying debut

http://www.thedrive.com/news/26920/chevrolet-corvette-c8-is-so-powerful-it-keeps-bending-its-frame-shattering-glass-report

Interesting problem to have.

New rumor is it may debut at the Indy 500
mhoward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2019, 06:43 AM   #2
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru

Member#: 73805

Guess I owe you a beer.. Hereis another article from 3/12 about delays too. I wouldn’t Buy/ lease first year Model or maybe second year for that matter. Sounds like it will be an electrical nite mare , Ah man what I went through with first year Vette. Over heating issues was the main problem. Bent Rims was another story. Anyway here’s the link

Why the mid-engine 2020 Chevrolet C8 Corvette is reportedly delayed

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...rtedly-delayed
AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
mhoward1
Scooby Guru

Member#: 9481
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Lol, I posted, then got your update and thought “did I miss that?”

Looked at the time stamp and laughed.
mhoward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru

Member#: 73805

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoward1 View Post
Lol, I posted, then got your update and thought “did I miss that?”

Looked at the time stamp and laughed.
Lol I did the same thing ...

I hear there is another problem with the new Vette..Here is a hint..

Exhaust gets hot when you ruthlessly ride the rev limiter for like two minutes straight.

Friends, there’s a valuable lesson to be learned from this video. Actually, there are several lessons buried within this 20-minute video, not the least of which being the consequences of repeatedly bouncing an engine off its rev limiter. Also, call the fire department at the first sign of a car fire, because small half-empty bottles of water are absolutely useless when it comes to extinguishing such high-temperature blazes.

Fire, bad:

Lamborghini Huracan splits in half, driver pulled out just before it catches fire
Corvette explodes on dyno, becomes coolest flamethrower ever
This life-lesson occurred in Westlake, Texas and comes to us from Sinclair Photos on YouTube. We don’t know the details of the car in question, other than it’s a current-generation Ford Mustang with a thumping 5.0-litre V8 under the bonnet. The clip starts off with the Mustang spinning some wicked donuts – not an uncommon thing at late-night car meets. This particular owner, however, feels compelled to keep the skinny pedal mercilessly pinned to the floor when half-throttle should’ve been plenty to toss the Mustang’s backside around the lot.

As such, all those high revs and unburnt fuel literally set the exhaust on fire. We don’t know the exact point of ignition, but judging by the glow under the car, we’d guess the catalytic converters were hot enough to melt. That’s lesson number one.

Lesson number two comes shortly after the fire is discovered. Folks, tossing tiny cups of liquid underneath a car with glowing hot exhaust won’t do even a teeny bit of good, and actually, it might anger the car gods enough to just send the whole thing up in a massive fireball. If you’re going to play with big horsepower, always have a fire extinguisher nearby. Unfortunately, when extinguishers finally did show up, it was too late. That’s lesson number two.

As for lesson number three, we don’t know when the fire department was finally called, but it seems like a lot of time was wasted between the first realisation that something was wrong, and when the fire truck finally showed up. Perhaps the driver was scared of getting in trouble – not to mention the massive crowd on hand more interested in filming than helping. If your car catches on fire and you can’t get it out in 30 seconds call the fire department. Immediately.

Last edited by AVANTI R5; 03-14-2019 at 07:17 AM.
AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
VaporTrail308
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 373439

Ouch. Hope his insurance company doesn’t see the video.
VaporTrail308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #6
Scooby921
Merci Buckets

Member#: 88606
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2016 Cayman GTS
Dark Blue Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVANTI R5 View Post
Guess I owe you a beer.. Hereis another article from 3/12 about delays too. I wouldn’t Buy/ lease first year Model or maybe second year for that matter. Sounds like it will be an electrical nite mare , Ah man what I went through with first year Vette. Over heating issues was the main problem. Bent Rims was another story. Anyway here’s the link

Why the mid-engine 2020 Chevrolet C8 Corvette is reportedly delayed

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...rtedly-delayed
The electrical problems are more accurately reported in the Motor Authority article you linked here. It's not an "electrical" issue so much as it's a data transfer issue. I believe the C8 is the first application of GM's new "Global B" vehicle communication network. Everything to date has been "Global A". A = CAN, B = CAN FD. Every supplier of every ECU in the vehicle had to integrate a new communication transceiver and then write new software to deal with a new structure for sending and receiving data on the network. The way GM has implemented the new message / signal structure makes it secure, but a pain in the ass to work with. Every new vehicle project I've ever worked on suffered from communication issues with a couple suppliers incorrectly implementing message or signal structures and then broadcasting "bad" data. When everything in the vehicle is new those problems are certainly amplified.
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote