Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday August 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
KGilstrap
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 494490
Join Date: Nov 2018
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle:
2007 WRX Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default 07 Wrx Air Pump removal and Baro Sensor?

So Iíve got a 2007 wrx and I have deleted the secondary air pump due to be being stuck open. And now Iím reading that the barometric sensor needs to be retained somehow in the 07+ models. Iíve been searching online and Iíve found a few really old threads but the photos no longer show up. Has anybody on here done this to their 07? Could use some direction and maybe some pictures for reference

Thank you
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
KGilstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
viper_crazy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 298403
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Premium
Spark Silver

Default

Yes, you need to retain the sensor, and most importantly, keep the CEL for the BARO sensor enabled. Your ECU needs this sensor.

You can cut it out but that can be troublesome. Some have left the sensor in place and just have simply mounted the valve on the motor. The sensor is nested in the passenger/right side valve.
viper_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
KGilstrap
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 494490
Join Date: Nov 2018
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle:
2007 WRX Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_crazy View Post
Yes, you need to retain the sensor, and most importantly, keep the CEL for the BARO sensor enabled. Your ECU needs this sensor.

You can cut it out but that can be troublesome. Some have left the sensor in place and just have simply mounted the valve on the motor. The sensor is nested in the passenger/right side valve.


My sensor was actually on the drivers side. Iíve removed it from the valve and plugged it into the harness. Iím not noticing any difference in performance tho. Only thing thatís changed is my ďBaro PressureĒ is now reading 14.5 consistently as opposed to 24.7 consistently before the sensor was plugged in
KGilstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
viper_crazy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 298403
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Premium
Spark Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGilstrap View Post
My sensor was actually on the drivers side. Iíve removed it from the valve and plugged it into the harness. Iím not noticing any difference in performance tho. Only thing thatís changed is my ďBaro PressureĒ is now reading 14.5 consistently as opposed to 24.7 consistently before the sensor was plugged in
Yeah, there's no performance increase with air pump delete. I'm not sure how much you know about the system, but basically it was strictly for emmisions and only used for like a minute after cold start.

As for the 24.7 psi vs the new 14.5 psi, I'd be just guessing as to why that's the case. I don't recall coming across any info for that. With a reading of 14.5, my guess is you're closer to sea level?


Supplemental information:
The Barometric sensor is used to give the ECU an idea of ambient air density (AAD) based on ambient air pressure (AAP) and ambient air temp/intake air temp (AAT/IAT) and is used to help make air fuelling decisions. The slight drawback with calculating AAD based on AAP and AAT/IAT is it doesn't account for humitidy, which also affects air density and thus power. Subaru and pretty much every manufacturer making vehicles has obviously deemed it accurate enough for street use and 99% of tuners don't seem to be worried. I'm sure the only time someone would be concerned about it is in racing applications when every ounce counts.
viper_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
KGilstrap
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 494490
Join Date: Nov 2018
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle:
2007 WRX Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_crazy View Post
Yeah, there's no performance increase with air pump delete. I'm not sure how much you know about the system, but basically it was strictly for emmisions and only used for like a minute after cold start.

As for the 24.7 psi vs the new 14.5 psi, I'd be just guessing as to why that's the case. I don't recall coming across any info for that. With a reading of 14.5, my guess is you're closer to sea level?


Supplemental information:
The Barometric sensor is used to give the ECU an idea of ambient air density (AAD) based on ambient air pressure (AAP) and ambient air temp/intake air temp (AAT/IAT) and is used to help make air fuelling decisions. The slight drawback with calculating AAD based on AAP and AAT/IAT is it doesn't account for humitidy, which also affects air density and thus power. Subaru and pretty much every manufacturer making vehicles has obviously deemed it accurate enough for street use and 99% of tuners don't seem to be worried. I'm sure the only time someone would be concerned about it is in racing applications when every ounce counts.


Yea Iím right about at sea level over here in Rhode Island. But as for performance, my car would only boost to about 5ish psi before after we removed the air pump. Now itís boosting to about 12 since I put the sensor back so there was some kind of issue there. Still not hitting full boost for some reason but itís an improvement
KGilstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:42 PM   #6
dev6565
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 424131
Join Date: Jun 2015
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Clarksville, TN
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited
Aspen White

Default

The barometric pressure sensor is the sensor attached to the top of the valve with the big purple connector going to it. All you do is remove the valve, take a sawzal to the top and cut off the sensor element flush with the top of the metal body of the valve. Reconnect the sensor to the harness and cover the thing with electrical tape and zip-tie it to the engine out of the way. Done. If done this way you should have no issues. Connect the block off plates to the heads and throw the rest of the system in the trash.
dev6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.