Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 15, 2019
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #776
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
06 Forester 18 Imp Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
What widebody? Ugly afterthought flares garners wrath on the CTR from the Subaru crowd. Subaru does it and itís crickets. A true wide body with bespoke blistered fenders would be cool.
Meh. I like the look. I also like the way the CTR looks. shrugs
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
JustyWRC is offline  
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #777
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: who the hell makes those
Vehicle:
.... missiles - when
they know wat they can do

Default

Point being Justy the CTR is a $35k car. Not a sky’s the limit rarified car. I don’t care for the bodywork on the CTR, but at the price IMO it’s forgivable. Ugly plastic clip on flares are not something I would list as justification for paying stupid money on a limited run car. And I’m not even a hater of the S209. The RA, sure. That car was a test to see if there was $$$ interest in that type of car and the S209 is the legit version. Of the two I’d pay the extra and get the S209 ugly flare and all. No question.
4S-TURBO is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #778
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
06 Forester 18 Imp Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
Point being Justy the CTR is a $35k car. Not a sky’s the limit rarified car. I don’t care for the bodywork on the CTR, but at the price IMO it’s forgivable. Ugly plastic clip on flares are not something I would list as justification for paying stupid money on a limited run car. And I’m not even a hater of the S209. The RA, sure. That car was a test to see if there was $$$ interest in that type of car and the S209 is the legit version. Of the two I’d pay the extra and get the S209 ugly flare and all. No question.
Thought someone said the flare was a pressed metal piece? I think it's just a deliberate way of standing out. It IS wider. They could have done more design change and made it a true wide body; but, they chose this.

Last edited by JustyWRC; 04-15-2019 at 03:44 PM.
JustyWRC is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #779
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: who the hell makes those
Vehicle:
.... missiles - when
they know wat they can do

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
Thought someone said the flare was a pressed metal piece? I think it's just a deliberate way of standing out. It IS wider. They could have done more design change and made it a true wide body; but, they chose this.
Even worse.
4S-TURBO is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #780
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee'ish
Vehicle:
18 golf arrrr!

Default

it would be a good car to buy as a "collector" piece. buying it for its performance is stupid. you could build a car that does everything better for less out of a base sti.
n2oiroc is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 04:33 PM   #781
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fire Caves
Vehicle:
1999 OBS Camo Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
Point being Justy the CTR is a $35k car. Not a skyís the limit rarified car.
Good luck buying one for $35k.
Kostamojen is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #782
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: who the hell makes those
Vehicle:
.... missiles - when
they know wat they can do

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Good luck buying one for $35k.
Subaru should play the same trick to avoid the pricing backlash we all know is coming. Honda was smart. Make the dealers look the bad guy. Brilliant!
4S-TURBO is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 11:57 PM   #783
wayoutwest
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14379
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: www.greenroom.net
Vehicle:
2018 Civic Type R
Championship White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Good luck buying one for $35k.
I got mine for sticker (which is now almost $37K). It only took me 19 months of waiting and emailing GMs of lots that had the cars sitting for a long time. But yes, the market especially in SoCal for Type Rs is still stupid. And it's not a "limited" production car even though it has a serial number plate. Mine is in the 19,000s. They are up to the 24,000s now i think.

The S209 limited to 200, and even the old ITRs, now i would say that is worth a small 'market adjustment' to the right buyer.
wayoutwest is offline  
Old 08-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #784
torquemada
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 128484
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Germany
Vehicle:
2006 EDM WRX STI
WRB

Default

what happened to the S209, can you order one, is it sold out, or is it a myth?
torquemada is offline  
Old 08-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #785
standardtranny
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450713
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Super bowl LII champs
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Stage 3ish
world rally blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquemada View Post
what happened to the S209, can you order one, is it sold out, or is it a myth?
it was all a hoax spearheaded by the Russians
standardtranny is offline  
Old 08-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #786
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquemada View Post
what happened to the S209, can you order one, is it sold out, or is it a myth?
I've heard a couple people say that they've given deposits to dealerships, but that's probably a long shot given that dealerships aren't guaranteed an allocation due to the limited production numbers. And the dealerships that do receive an allocation will likely auction it to the highest bidder..

This is all that I've seen from Subaru regarding pricing & availability:
Quote:
Only around 200 units of the STI S209 will be built, earmarked exclusively for the U.S. Pricing will be announced closer to the on-sale date in late 2019.
Otherwise, Subaru's website provides little information (https://www.subaru.com/2019-S209) and has a link to the press release from January:
http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease...ful-model-ever
WRXnick16 is offline  
Old 08-21-2019, 05:03 PM   #787
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

I have reserved one through the dealer we get our new shop cars from. They made some calls to verify they were getting an allocation (2). They have no delivery date except for 'probably in October', and they have no idea (and no choice) on the colors they are getting.
KillerBMotorsport is offline  
Old 08-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #788
standardtranny
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450713
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Super bowl LII champs
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Stage 3ish
world rally blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
I have reserved one through the dealer we get our new shop cars from. They made some calls to verify they were getting an allocation (2). They have no delivery date except for 'probably in October', and they have no idea (and no choice) on the colors they are getting.
Very cool. Im curious to see what kind of magic you can make with that unicorn
standardtranny is offline  
Old 08-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #789
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
I have reserved one through the dealer we get our new shop cars from. They made some calls to verify they were getting an allocation (2). They have no delivery date except for 'probably in October', and they have no idea (and no choice) on the colors they are getting.
Congrats, that's awesome! Were they able to give you any ballpark on the expected pricing?
WRXnick16 is offline  
Old 08-21-2019, 06:42 PM   #790
Scorpius
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 370806
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Northern Indiana
Vehicle:
2019 WRX/STI DGM
2016 WRX/STI ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
I have reserved one through the dealer we get our new shop cars from. They made some calls to verify they were getting an allocation (2). They have no delivery date except for 'probably in October', and they have no idea (and no choice) on the colors they are getting.
I feel like only people like you will be able to get their hands on these things and that's a damn shame. The STI crowd is not rich and this S209 will be. Oh well. Life moves on.
Scorpius is offline  
Old 08-21-2019, 08:36 PM   #791
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardtranny View Post
Very cool. Im curious to see what kind of magic you can make with that unicorn
We're going to see what we can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
Congrats, that's awesome! Were they able to give you any ballpark on the expected pricing?
I can't disclose those details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I feel like only people like you will be able to get their hands on these things and that's a damn shame. The STI crowd is not rich and this S209 will be. Oh well. Life moves on.
911 Turbo and the 911 Carrera. Shelby Mustang and Mustang GT. These are some other examples and I don't think it's a bad thing as over time the 'base' trims tend to get some of the upper echelon's goodies, and the OEMs often make available some of those parts.
KillerBMotorsport is offline  
Old 08-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #792
clarkkent1975
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 311595
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2020 STI
WRB

Default

S209 will debut just in time for Subaru to announce the 350hp 2021 STI with new 2.4L powerplant.

No thank you.
clarkkent1975 is offline  
Old 08-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #793
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent1975 View Post
S209 will debut just in time for Subaru to announce the 350hp 2021 STI with new 2.4L powerplant.

No thank you.
I think that's everyone's hope. The FA24DIT would have a ton of potential even if it's just paired to the existing drivetrain.

I wonder if Subaru will be willing to outdo the performance of their "most powerful, best-handling, and most exciting Subaru Tecnica International model ever created" that quickly.

There's been a lot of rumors about the next gen STI having the FA24, but nothing official from Subaru. Honestly, even a beefed up FA20 with stronger rods, bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, etc. would be okay.
WRXnick16 is offline  
Old 08-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #794
Fierysun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
I think that's some peoples hope. .
Fixed.

A better USDM EJ would be preferred, something on par with the JDM version, but with larger displacement and factory closed deck block halves. There's tons of aftermarket development on the EJ and you can make that engine do almost anything you want. Considerably less development on the FA.

In a nutshell, the EJ is better suited for people that plan on making a lot more power and the FA is better for the stock/near stock folks.

Last edited by Fierysun; 08-22-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Fierysun is offline  
Old 08-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #795
Bansheeboy11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 182415
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
1999 RS
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post

In a nutshell, the EJ is better suited for people that plan on making a lot more power and the FA is better for the stock/near stock folks.
Bansheeboy11 is offline  
Old 08-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #796
standardtranny
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450713
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Super bowl LII champs
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Stage 3ish
world rally blue

Default

^^^^my thoughts exactly
standardtranny is offline  
Old 08-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #797
Fierysun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardtranny View Post
^^^^my thoughts exactly
Haha! It always hurts the FA people to hear that the EJ is a better performance engine due to the decade plus of additional development.
Fierysun is offline  
Old 08-22-2019, 02:46 PM   #798
Bansheeboy11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 182415
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
1999 RS
Aspen White

Default

Except im an EJ20 guy. Those two decades of "development" led to the FA, which addressed the shortcomings of EJ motors. You'll never see a EJ powered car making 400+ whp on a 100% stock block and turbo. Everything from metallurgy down to clearances and specs are improved over the EJ. I hate that it took subaru years and years to give us an upgraded version of it, but the FA24 is undoubtedly the future for the STI, and its a good future.
Bansheeboy11 is offline  
Old 08-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #799
Fierysun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansheeboy11 View Post
Except im an EJ20 guy. Those two decades of "development" led to the FA, which addressed the shortcomings of EJ motors. You'll never see a EJ powered car making 400+ whp on a 100% stock block and turbo. Everything from metallurgy down to clearances and specs are improved over the EJ. I hate that it took subaru years and years to give us an upgraded version of it, but the FA24 is undoubtedly the future for the STI, and its a good future.
Not actually. The FA has rod and other issues, which prevents it from making alot of power in stock form.

My EJ207 makes around 450whp with bone stock longblock and it's been at this power level for around 3 years now. I also had great success with my EJ205 and EJ 257.

With that being said, the EJ does have it's own issues, but so does the FA and the difference in development especially the aftermarket is what makes the EJ so much better.
Fierysun is offline  
Old 08-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #800
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
Not actually. The FA has rod and other issues, which prevents it from making alot of power in stock form.

My EJ207 makes around 450whp with bone stock longblock and it's been at this power level for around 3 years now. I also had great success with my EJ205 and EJ 257.

With that being said, the EJ does have it's own issues, but so does the FA and the difference in development especially the aftermarket is what makes the EJ so much better.
Meh, aftermarket dev for the FA will catch up eventually. There are already pretty stout built FA blocks out there.
I think EJ207 stands in a class of its own in terms of reliability and power (thicker cylinder liners due to smaller 2.0L bore, ideal rod-to-stroke ratio due to 75 mm crank, better heads and so forth and so on).
But, I wonder how people get their EJ207-powered street Subies through smog testing in Cali; that alone must be a hassle (even if it's only every other year).
neg_matnik is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.