Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday February 27, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 06:19 PM   #76
08redWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 186068
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2019 STi
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumble_ae86 View Post
After a failed ej205 swap, i've decided to do this in my coupe. 2021 my Impreza becomes exempt from inspection. I plan on using a locally sourced 4g63 mated to a 15+ sti transmission while retaining my oem interior harness. I plan on getting a haltech from iwire and delve deep into the evo+nasioc forums to successfully build this abomination. Any and all advices are welcome. Keep your criticism to yourself. I have a wallet to burn. If you like it, good. If you hate it, good. Gapplebees for everyone
Good luck! Will look forward to the outcome. Hopefully you start a new thread to show the progress.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
08redWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #77
Fierysun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumble_ae86 View Post
After a failed ej205 swap, i've decided to do this in my coupe. 2021 my Impreza becomes exempt from inspection. I plan on using a locally sourced 4g63 mated to a 15+ sti transmission while retaining my oem interior harness. I plan on getting a haltech from iwire and delve deep into the evo+nasioc forums to successfully build this abomination. Any and all advices are welcome. Keep your criticism to yourself. I have a wallet to burn. If you like it, good. If you hate it, good. Gapplebees for everyone
This is a crazy amount of work at a very high cost. Good luck.
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #78
grumble_ae86
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487293
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza L, 2.2L
Blue

Default

I honestly don't think its too much work. Custom fab on mounts and getting an adapter from tpg would be the hardest part for the build. Wiring can be easy if I try to be meticulous. Finding crashed sti's at auction sites are plentiful. Worst case scenario, go for a 06-07 sti dccd from jspec. I'm roughly looking at 12-13k at most. Engine is around 1500-2000. Haltech for 2-3000. Sti transmission+diff+axles for another 3-4000. Rest is all labour at Dialed In Performance up here, in Rochester. The 4g63 is tall, but not as tall as the k series. And if a 2jz fits, height wise, the 4g63 should as well. Roughly similar height by what i've seen from dimensions. At most a custom oil pan for better oil pickup/baffle and subframe clearance. Even then I don't see this build going past 16-17k. Power goal is (a reliable and robust) 500whp max. I've actually willed it up for the car to be scrapped if I unfortunately pass away lol.
For my spirited driving, I don't trust H4 at all anymore. Even professionally built motors fail. Which not to mention end up costing almost similar to this build.
grumble_ae86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #79
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Default

Likely will be less work than you think. LS1....been done. The old school Honda guys would make that 4g63 fed by Weber down draft ITBs. Wait...you also mentioned a K swap in passing.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #80
Fierysun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

That's a ton of work for only 500whp, which the EJ is solid at with a good build, tune and spot on owner upkeep/maintenance. The EJ is not one of those motors you can just abuse like the LS, however it's a great motor if you keep it where it wants to be.
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #81
Jedi03
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 491095
Join Date: Sep 2018
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: New Mexico
Vehicle:
2009 STi Blue
Blue

Default

i like my EJ as well, but the 4G has been around since early 90s iirc, it has been tried and true without blowing up on several cars...regardless of the outcome this will be fun to watch!
Jedi03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #82
AmericanJager
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487006
Join Date: Jun 2018
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Earth
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Default

It was only a matter of time, like Rob Dahm's rotary c7 build. Looking forward to see what this looks like.
AmericanJager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:23 PM   #83
nealric
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 450518
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Houston
Vehicle:
2016 STI
Arrest Me Red

Default

I don't know why you'd bother with this engine swap if you are trying to make big power. The 4g63 isn't all that much more robust than the EJ, especially if you address the EJ's weakspots (which would be cheaper/easier than everything that would need to be done for a 4g).

If your goal is to make big power reliably, you want a bigger motor- not a smaller one. There's a reason why most pick the LS. They are compact, relatively light weight, cheap, reliable, and have excellent parts support. Makes 400hp in tame OEM spec and 1,000+ fairly easily.
nealric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #84
BurninSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 510655
Join Date: Jan 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
I don't know why you'd bother with this engine swap if you are trying to make big power. The 4g63 isn't all that much more robust than the EJ, especially if you address the EJ's weakspots (which would be cheaper/easier than everything that would need to be done for a 4g).

If your goal is to make big power reliably, you want a bigger motor- not a smaller one. There's a reason why most pick the LS. They are compact, relatively light weight, cheap, reliable, and have excellent parts support. Makes 400hp in tame OEM spec and 1,000+ fairly easily.
Watch out for the subinati
BurninSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #85
grumble_ae86
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487293
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza L, 2.2L
Blue

Default

Ls1, 2jz, any other v-engine, i6-engine, requires firewall reconstruction. Im not going to compromise anything with another 4 banger. People have done rotary swaps, k-swaps, sr20 swaps for almost equivalent value. Plus, I still want to drive this legally on the streets, beat it at the auto-x, etc. At the end of the day, imo, it comes to keeping true to the rally heritage and my 2-digit iq brain wants to make the best of both worlds. If I could, i'd use a 3sgte. But parts are scarce, and engine's going north of 5k min, with high mileage. 3sgte is ideal because celica gt-fours had tmic as well. But my Toyota knowledge is low, and I know no one near me who deals with them.
Ej requires 2x maintenance than a 4g63. Im sure, if not a lot, a few of you will agree with it.
Just enjoy the build. And the loss of countless 10mm's.
grumble_ae86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #86
Turpid Porpoise
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 476573
Join Date: Oct 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lovettsville, Virginia
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumble_ae86 View Post
I honestly don't think its too much work. Custom fab on mounts and getting an adapter from tpg would be the hardest part for the build. Wiring can be easy if I try to be meticulous. Finding crashed sti's at auction sites are plentiful. Worst case scenario, go for a 06-07 sti dccd from jspec. I'm roughly looking at 12-13k at most. Engine is around 1500-2000. Haltech for 2-3000. Sti transmission+diff+axles for another 3-4000. Rest is all labour at Dialed In Performance up here, in Rochester. The 4g63 is tall, but not as tall as the k series. And if a 2jz fits, height wise, the 4g63 should as well. Roughly similar height by what i've seen from dimensions. At most a custom oil pan for better oil pickup/baffle and subframe clearance. Even then I don't see this build going past 16-17k. Power goal is (a reliable and robust) 500whp max. I've actually willed it up for the car to be scrapped if I unfortunately pass away lol.
For my spirited driving, I don't trust H4 at all anymore. Even professionally built motors fail. Which not to mention end up costing almost similar to this build.
You do realize that the 2JZ swapped subarus don't use the Subaru transmission, correct? Paying a shop to custom fab something is not cheap if it has yet to be done. Without a jig there are hours in just measuring **** to make sure the geometry is 100% correct.
Turpid Porpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:36 PM   #87
grumble_ae86
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487293
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza L, 2.2L
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpid Porpoise View Post
You do realize that the 2JZ swapped subarus don't use the Subaru transmission, correct? Paying a shop to custom fab something is not cheap if it has yet to be done. Without a jig there are hours in just measuring **** to make sure the geometry is 100% correct.
Yeah, that's why i'm having an adapting plate fabbed up to mate with a sti transmission. I rather fab that than a transmission mount+undercarriage
grumble_ae86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #88
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: AMERICA OF AMERICA☜
Vehicle:
.... Fred Dryer as
---HUNTER--->

Default


K swap.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #89
Turpid Porpoise
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 476573
Join Date: Oct 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lovettsville, Virginia
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumble_ae86 View Post
Yeah, that's why i'm having an adapting plate fabbed up to mate with a sti transmission. I rather fab that than a transmission mount+undercarriage
You will still have to fabricate motor mounts and probably a cooling solution since the engine will now overhang the front axle by the length of 2 more cylinders.

If it were my car, I'd much rather chop and reweld the tunnel to accommodate a transverse 4g63/EVO transmission than try to fabricate the motor mounts and re-engineer the cooling system to account for the extra length of the drivetrain.

Not to deter you or throw shade as I respect anyone who wants to fab something unique but I really don't see the point in this. Why not just buy an EVO? The subaru chassis really isn't anything special and by the time it's all said and done you'll probably be looking at the cost of a used EVO.
Turpid Porpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #90
bmxhotsauce
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 127099
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
02 IMPERZA WRX
BLACK

Default

bmxhotsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #91
bmxhotsauce
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 127099
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
02 IMPERZA WRX
BLACK

Default

bmxhotsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #92
Turpid Porpoise
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 476573
Join Date: Oct 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lovettsville, Virginia
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxhotsauce View Post
Very well executed swap but an R32 is a much better chassis than a GRB.
Turpid Porpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:38 PM   #93
grumble_ae86
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487293
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza L, 2.2L
Blue

Default

Its that 'first car' itch. Always want to keep it and do dumb stuff with it. Similar to that k-swap video actually. He made custom adapter, custom mounts. I disliked the subframe cutting and adding washers. Makes it unsafe. Will have to do lots of fitments prior to dropping it in, one last time. I'm prepared for it. I'll be done with my university, a steady job after and just work on the car everyday. That's how it has always been for enthusiasts and I don't expect it to be any easier.
grumble_ae86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STi and EVO pad swap? 06steelgraysti Brakes, Steering & Suspension 4 12-09-2007 07:42 PM
2003 Evo 4g63 For Sale Venom911 Engine/Power/Exhaust 8 01-04-2007 05:05 PM
FS: 89 Plymouth Colt with 4g63 swap FAST! Aspen_2.5RS Private Vehicle 'For Sale' Classifieds 8 10-21-2006 02:33 AM
EG Civic with 4G63 swap on eBay. :eek: rice h8r Off-Topic 20 06-30-2006 05:16 AM
4g63 swap into a justy ?? v8mazda Subaru Conversions 6 11-08-2003 07:09 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.