Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 28, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default japanese performance cars becoming highly sought after including GD STI's

very interesting article about japanese performance cars, specifically mentions the 22b, the 2jz supras and the 2004-2007 STI's as appreciating in value for those that are in very good condition!


https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...?ocid=msedgdhp
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
speedyHAM
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48377
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: "They eat fish soaked in lye"
Vehicle:
1996 Gutted, built
XP class Impreza L

Default

Yeah, try finding a good condition Series 8 RX7 turbo for less than $40k.
speedyHAM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:38 PM   #3
CoronaWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 431618
Join Date: Oct 2015
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tucson, AZ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default

I think we'll see this for all generations of STI's that are left stock and have decent mileage on them 20 years from now. Any three pedal cars with analog inputs will be a rarity in the future.
CoronaWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:16 AM   #4
Winterhawk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 463763
Join Date: Feb 2017
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Blaze Yellow

Default

This has been a trend for several years now. A few tasteful upgrades are okay, and those that can keep there GD WRX and STi's clean, low mileage, and with few mods will benefit in the future. Right now my Blaze Yellow with zero rust, low miles, well optioned, and a few reversible upgrades is worth at least 25% more than I paid 3 years ago. I'll probably pamper it for another ten years until I turn 80, sell it to a collector, and use the money to payoff my Tesla pick up.
Winterhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:52 AM   #5
D-Rodman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110078
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Vehicle:
05 Saabaru JDM STi
Black Ver 7 VF48 6sp RA

Default V7 swapped bugeye

And my ver 7 swapped bugeye will be worthless but Iíll still be enjoying it. Iím 55 years old, hope to live long enough to see a GD be worth decent $. Although, when I look at the cars for sale here it seems that time has already become a reality. Is a 2007 STi with 100,000 miles really worth $20,000 today ?

Last edited by D-Rodman; 07-15-2020 at 02:01 AM.
D-Rodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
Ernest
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 45076
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Rockland County, NY
Vehicle:
2004 Stg 2 wagon AT
16 BRZ. Both silver

Default

No one is getting rich off of this, although you might get your money back (not if you count inflation). Regular STIs are not rare like a 22b. Yes there will be some appreciation as these cars get less and less, but there will be a limit.

Remember most of these guys assume that the next generations of buyers are similar to the previous ones. From what I have seen they most certainly are not. They like different cars and they also like tech.

Plus EV cars with performance like the Porsche Taycan will be available at affordable prices in the future. This will reduce demand for old cars for sure.

Some people also worry about environmental rules that would charge more for ICE cars. Not sure the US will see this as much, but count on the EU having some limitations.

Ask yourself right now, would the current 10 year old buy your old STI for 40k, 20 years from now or a new EV vehicle that will blow its doors off. Don’t get me wrong there will be some, but not as many as you might think. Supply and demand will rule. I think demand will be less, so it depends on supply and how many good cars survive.
Ernest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
skghori
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 37876
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Naperville, IL
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
World Rally Blue

Default

My local Carmax appraiser could not fathom why I did not take his $12,000 offer on my unmodded 2004 STi with only 80K.
Regards,
Saif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaWRX View Post
I think we'll see this for all generations of STI's that are left stock and have decent mileage on them 20 years from now.

Last edited by skghori; 07-15-2020 at 11:01 AM.
skghori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterhawk View Post
This has been a trend for several years now. A few tasteful upgrades are okay, and those that can keep there GD WRX and STi's clean, low mileage, and with few mods will benefit in the future.
This really depends. Usually "tasteful upgrades" means "tasteless upgrades". Certainly wheel swaps are fine and easily reversible, but things like those buttons with rubber bands holding the front fender to the bumper cover, to me mean I'd have to replace both fenders and bumper cover and paint all of them. Not tasteful (to me) and not cheap to fix. As always, it depends.

In 3 years, it will be legal to import a 22b into the US (they can be imported to Canada now). I think there's a good chance there will be a bump in prices then.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:45 PM   #9
Ernest
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 45076
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Rockland County, NY
Vehicle:
2004 Stg 2 wagon AT
16 BRZ. Both silver

Default

I think you need to look at other mature used markets like Porsche or the S2000. They usually have a U shape. Large depreciation, then flat and then up again. The key is that right side of the U and how high and fast it goes. Some are faster, others slower. There will always be a minimum price that is too good to overlook for people looking for that weekend toy. For a 911 air cooled In ok condition it’s sitting at 30-35k for an S2000 in ok condition it is 15-20k. Look at caymans, many nice ones in 20-30k range. These are my rough estimates looking on line. I have to admit I see higher priced cars sitting for longer times or being re-posted. They really have to be in good shape to get higher prices. As cars get older they generally get it worse shape , not better. Therefore, you will have to put money in to it, to get that higher price. I am thinking a regular old STI will not get a high price unless it was really babied or taken care of. Comes down to how many people in the future really want a raw sports car experience? I think they will really have to love a car and have an attachment to it. I remember Matt Farrah saying something about how hard it is to love older cars when he drives the greatest new cars and new tech every week. Sure he owns a sweet countach but that was his childhood dream. How many kids child hood dream is an STI? Figure that number out and age and you might figure out demand in the future.

I think EV performance and tech in the future will outweigh nostalgia. There will always be a market, I just don’t see production Subaru’s appreciating much. The specials and limited models have a better chance for sure.

Also, a new STI with a new better engine might not help old ones with the EJ.
Ernest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:25 PM   #10
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Irvine
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
This really depends. Usually "tasteful upgrades" means "tasteless upgrades". Certainly wheel swaps are fine and easily reversible, but things like those buttons with rubber bands holding the front fender to the bumper cover, to me mean I'd have to replace both fenders and bumper cover and paint all of them. Not tasteful (to me) and not cheap to fix. As always, it depends.

In 3 years, it will be legal to import a 22b into the US (they can be imported to Canada now). I think there's a good chance there will be a bump in prices then.
The issue is that what counts as a "tasteful" upgrade is often subjective and far too often we see people with rather tacky mods try to pass them off as tasteful

To me, I would consider aftermarket wheels and a catback/axleback as tasteful as they are easily reversible and the exhaust doesn't require a tune. Anything that does require a tune is probably a no-go for me. Tint is maybe okay assuming that it's done well and not bubbling or peeling, but if it's super dark i.e. limo tint that'd probably turn me off too.
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:25 PM   #11
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

I have left my 06 STI relatively original for the reasons stated in this article. I never planned on changing the downpipe, but when I pulled the engine to replace the clutch the rear flange broke off while trying to unbolt it.

I still have the OE downpipe stored away and a new flange would fix it. But suspension is still all original except for whiteline sway bar bushings and Moog sway bar end links, wheels are factory BBS but are silver and my window sticker shows it had gold when sold, but silver were on it when I bought it from the dealer where the original owner traded it in with 29,000 miles on it.

Not interested in tinting it, I think it looks better with the blue seats visible, all original body, and I replaced the OEM disc player with a kenwood touch screen with nav and back up camera. Boost and Wideband gauge and a perrin turbo inlet because the factory rubber coupling at the turbo got the tear in it. This is how I am going to leave the car set up....I will be putting group N strut mounts on soon and it has group N engine mounts and pitch stop. This car is still tight as a drum and under 100,000 miles. So just going to keep it like this.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #12
samb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 177235
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Washington
Vehicle:
2016 Focus RS
2002 WRX Wagon

Default

Whatever. No matter how well you take care of your car some lady is still going to back her Suburban into you. Drive them and enjoy them, and if you’re bored then mod them.
samb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #13
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
Whatever. No matter how well you take care of your car some lady is still going to back her Suburban into you. Drive them and enjoy them, and if you’re bored then mod them.
ABSOLUTELY! I drive it for F U N, and it never gets old. I will probably get another one, the next gen and the 06' will get driven enough to keep it tip top, but also to preserve the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
I think you need to look at other mature used markets like Porsche or the S2000. They usually have a U shape. Large depreciation, then flat and then up again. The key is that right side of the U and how high and fast it goes. Some are faster, others slower. There will always be a minimum price that is too good to overlook for people looking for that weekend toy. For a 911 air cooled In ok condition it’s sitting at 30-35k for an S2000 in ok condition it is 15-20k. Look at caymans, many nice ones in 20-30k range. These are my rough estimates looking on line. I have to admit I see higher priced cars sitting for longer times or being re-posted. They really have to be in good shape to get higher prices. As cars get older they generally get it worse shape , not better. Therefore, you will have to put money in to it, to get that higher price. I am thinking a regular old STI will not get a high price unless it was really babied or taken care of. Comes down to how many people in the future really want a raw sports car experience? I think they will really have to love a car and have an attachment to it. I remember Matt Farrah saying something about how hard it is to love older cars when he drives the greatest new cars and new tech every week. Sure he owns a sweet countach but that was his childhood dream. How many kids child hood dream is an STI? Figure that number out and age and you might figure out demand in the future.

I think EV performance and tech in the future will outweigh nostalgia. There will always be a market, I just don’t see production Subaru’s appreciating much. The specials and limited models have a better chance for sure.

Also, a new STI with a new better engine might not help old ones with the EJ.
Good points. The GD's have already , and now gone through some up and down price cycles over he past 15 year and now they are going back up, and at this point the ones that have been kept low miles and relatively original are probably going to land in a steady price range and not depreciate, there is a pretty large demographic that flock to the GD's, with a range of ages that I think will keep the market strong for them. The EJ has been too much of a success in the STI, new engines/electric supplementation in new gens will not change that. Collector cars dont loose value based on what their future generation iterations have. There wouldnt be a market for 1960's corvettes or old BMW's or porsche's etc etc as the modern generations of those cars have far far better safety, performance,efficiency, power, and vastly superior drivetrains than the old ones yet the old ones are just as if not more popular than the new ones.

Last edited by NighthawkSTI; 07-15-2020 at 09:24 PM.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #14
Ernest
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 45076
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Rockland County, NY
Vehicle:
2004 Stg 2 wagon AT
16 BRZ. Both silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkSTI View Post
ABSOLUTELY! I drive it for F U N, and it never gets old. I will probably get another one, the next gen and the 06' will get driven enough to keep it tip top, but also to preserve the way it is.



Good points. The GD's have already , and now gone through some up and down price cycles over he past 15 year and now they are going back up, and at this point the ones that have been kept low miles and relatively original are probably going to land in a steady price range and not depreciate, there is a pretty large demographic that flock to the GD's, with a range of ages that I think will keep the market strong for them. The EJ has been too much of a success in the STI, new engines/electric supplementation in new gens will not change that. Collector cars dont loose value based on what their future generation iterations have. There wouldnt be a market for 1960's corvettes or old BMW's or porsche's etc etc as the modern generations of those cars have far far better safety, performance,efficiency, power, and vastly superior drivetrains than the old ones yet the old ones are just as if not more popular than the new ones.
I agree, but thatís based on current demographics. People who were young and alive when those cars were new are still alive and keep demand going. But if you look at earlier cars there is less demand as people who remember those cars are dead. There will always be some value as they may become rarer, but perhaps not enough demand to increase prices. I mean those brass era cars are cool but I donít see people on a subie or Porsche forum buying one anytime soon. And forget about my kids who are teenagers.

Here is a way to look at it. Search autotempest or just eBay. The more cars you find of a particular type, the less rare and the less chance of appreciation. I mean air cooled 911 alone there are so many for sale with everyone jumping in as they appreciated. I see so many of the same ones on eBay year after year. When the price drops near 30k they go. Itís a crowded market, and unless a **** ton of younger people want a 40 year old car that costs a lot to maintain, the prices will stay flat or depreciate. Especially, as older buyers sell. Not every son or daughter has the same love for an old car as their dad did. I have two daughters and a wife who would sell my subies in a minute to get a car they liked. I told then when I die to burn me in one of them.
Ernest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #15
Ernest
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 45076
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Rockland County, NY
Vehicle:
2004 Stg 2 wagon AT
16 BRZ. Both silver

Default

One more point in favor of higher prices is that with every country printing money like it grows on trees, certain assets will become inflated. So collector cars and cars in general may inflated because of printing. If we print forever prices will be supported, if something changes and we moderate (I doubt it) then there will be downward pressure. This goes for many assets and makes it tougher to figure out valuation.
Ernest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:24 PM   #16
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkSTI View Post
very interesting article about japanese performance cars, specifically mentions the 22b, the 2jz supras and the 2004-2007 STI's as appreciating in value for those that are in very good condition!


https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...?ocid=msedgdhp
you ewanna se some crazy prices look at the japanese cars that are from the 70 and 80's I even found a site that sells the old hokasuka's or the skylines from the 70's and they start at like 80,000
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #17
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
This really depends. Usually "tasteful upgrades" means "tasteless upgrades". Certainly wheel swaps are fine and easily reversible, but things like those buttons with rubber bands holding the front fender to the bumper cover, to me mean I'd have to replace both fenders and bumper cover and paint all of them. Not tasteful (to me) and not cheap to fix. As always, it depends.

In 3 years, it will be legal to import a 22b into the US (they can be imported to Canada now). I think there's a good chance there will be a bump in prices then.
dont know about that, they are pretty rate and expensive already. but if somone is willing to pay the right price, guess someone would be willing to part with it.. all hail capitalism
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #18
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
One more point in favor of higher prices is that with every country printing money like it grows on trees, certain assets will become inflated. So collector cars and cars in general may inflated because of printing. If we print forever prices will be supported, if something changes and we moderate (I doubt it) then there will be downward pressure. This goes for many assets and makes it tougher to figure out valuation.
True...this happened in the late 80's(american muscle cars went sky high), and then again during and after the 2008 financial crisis, used car prices and classic cars, especially 60's muscle cars gained value.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #19
Ernest
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 45076
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Rockland County, NY
Vehicle:
2004 Stg 2 wagon AT
16 BRZ. Both silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkSTI View Post
True...this happened in the late 80's(american muscle cars went sky high), and then again during and after the 2008 financial crisis, used car prices and classic cars, especially 60's muscle cars gained value.
Thatís true and with so many boomers demand was high. The next highest population is millennials, so whatís their favorite cars. Those will be in demand. I am Gen X which is relatively small so we will not drive demand as much.
Ernest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #20
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post
you ewanna se some crazy prices look at the japanese cars that are from the 70 and 80's I even found a site that sells the old hokasuka's or the skylines from the 70's and they start at like 80,000
I know, they are expensive now. The designer of the 280ZX passed away this week, he was 86.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
Thatís true and with so many boomers demand was high. The next highest population is millennials, so whatís their favorite cars. Those will be in demand. I am Gen X which is relatively small so we will not drive demand as much.
I am also in Gen X, and good points about the influence of each generation. I know that there are car fans of ALL types in every generation including millenials. Going to car shows I see a HUGE variety of age groups, plenty of millenial aged enthusiasts as well, and I think as they get older the cars their grandparents and parents owned will become theirs, or they will want to buy them when they have the income. Basically I think there will always be demand for muscle cars, and sports cars from all around the world.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:36 PM   #21
BlueSTI4Me
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34361
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MI
Vehicle:
04.7 STI
WRB IG @got2boostit2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rodman View Post
And my ver 7 swapped bugeye will be worthless but Iíll still be enjoying it. Iím 55 years old, hope to live long enough to see a GD be worth decent $. Although, when I look at the cars for sale here it seems that time has already become a reality. Is a 2007 STi with 100,000 miles really worth $20,000 today ?
Dang D-Rodman and I thought I was OLD. (I am ) And still playing with toys.
BlueSTI4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #22
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

check these guys out
http://jdm-expo.com/8-jdm-classic

that red one with the gold wheels is awesome

Heres your 22b for sale
http://jdm-expo.com/vehicle-inventor...-sti-sale.html

Last edited by subaru_gc8; 07-17-2020 at 02:41 PM.
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:14 PM   #23
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 90539
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: SWLA
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Default

Yep, and I've noticed the 280zx popping up in IG more often when browsing. Maybe many owners learned about the designer passing away. I like the design and have owned four, but the nostalgia isn't worth the hassle of keeping the exhaust gaskets from leaking, lol. Good looking cars though and I've plenty of memories since my first car was a 280zx.
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:47 AM   #24
seaYa
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 516262
Join Date: Jun 2020
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Florida
Vehicle:
2020 STi
Series.White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaWRX View Post
I think we'll see this for all generations of STI's that are left stock and have decent mileage on them 20 years from now. Any three pedal cars with analog inputs will be a rarity in the future.
Agree 1000%
seaYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:10 AM   #25
gunz4me
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305130
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: LFT
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
That’s true and with so many boomers demand was high. The next highest population is millennials, so what’s their favorite cars. Those will be in demand. I am Gen X which is relatively small so we will not drive demand as much.
The only thing I can think that the millennial generation will want is a Prius, lol.

EDIT: In all seriousness, one of my millennial aged friends has liked my last three cars which were WRX, GTI, WRX... He had his eye on a Speed3, but ended up getting a Focus ST instead.
gunz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.