Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday December 1, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-07-2020, 02:54 AM   #76
ajsti24
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 345666
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2019 S209,GLC43

Installed my JDM Subaru Power Folding Side Mirrors on a 2019 STi w/ auto fold function:

I based my mod on this BSM electrical diagram, re-wiring/re-pinning i used due to the 2017+ STi/WRX mirror harness/plug was wired for the blind spot monitor indicator on the mirror lens.

Hacked my piano black window trim to fit the JDM mirror switch:

Auto Fold module installed and tucked in with the existing door harness:

Short video after my install, auto fold module works only when locking the car using the keyfob:

Mirror Folding/Unfolding using the mirror switch at the window trim panel:

Thanks to SMY Performance for the fast shipping!
ajsti24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #77
SlooBaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 378779
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2019 WRX STI
CWP

Great job on the hacking part. I would be too scared to do that myself. If I messed it up, I would cringe so much and my OCD of perfection would kick in
SlooBaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #78
ajsti24
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 S209,GLC43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlooBaru View Post
Great job on the hacking part. I would be too scared to do that myself. If I messed it up, I would cringe so much and my OCD of perfection would kick in
Thanks, but before I worked on my piano black window trim, practiced first on my old STi window trim:

Old 08-08-2020, 01:09 AM   #79
depe
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 204499

how did you wire the auto close harness? I have it but mine didnt come with any diagrams
depe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:39 AM   #80
ajsti24
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 S209,GLC43

Quote:
Originally Posted by depe View Post
how did you wire the auto close harness? I have it but mine didnt come with any diagrams

WARNING: You need to buy the JDM folding mirror switch to make this auto fold to work.
Got this english install instructions from japanparts: This is a RHD install, but can be installed on USDM car (just do a mirror image), took some pics, cannot link the pdf file on this thread.

Hope this helps. PM me if you want me to email you the pdf file.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:06 AM   #81
depe
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 204499

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsti24 View Post
WARNING: You need to buy the JDM folding mirror switch to make this auto fold to work.
Got this english install instructions from japanparts: This is a RHD install, but can be installed on USDM car (just do a mirror image), took some pics, cannot link the pdf file on this thread.

Hope this helps. PM me if you want me to email you the pdf file.
thank you so much! and I will pm you with my email as a backup.
depe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #82
Latin.pitbull
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518381

2 thumbs up to the originator of this thread!!
I reread the entire thread a few time but I still need some Clarification on some things.This is a mod I have been thinking on doing for a while but stayed away from it due to the electrical part of it.Any thing mechanical I***8217;m all in.Now electrical that***8217;s a different story,,it scares me to tell ya the truth.I***8217;m afraid of frying something.I***8217;m going to order the parts needed once I feel more comfortable with pulling this off.

So here is what I need to know,for a 2018 STi limited what order do the wires from the Jdm 12 pin Connector need to be in the 10 pin usdm connector?

On the Mirror Automatic Module I took a look at the diagrams and am still up in the air.
Do I fellow the steps on the diagrams or do I need to do something different due to my year model?
Latin.pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:32 PM   #83
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490151
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin.pitbull View Post
2 thumbs up to the originator of this thread!!
I reread the entire thread a few time but I still need some Clarification on some things.This is a mod I have been thinking on doing for a while but stayed away from it due to the electrical part of it.Any thing mechanical Iím all in.Now electrical thatís a different story,,it scares me to tell ya the truth.Iím afraid of frying something.Iím going to order the parts needed once I feel more comfortable with pulling this off.

So here is what I need to know,for a 2018 STi limited what order do the wires from the Jdm 12 pin Connector need to be in the 10 pin usdm connector?

On the Mirror Automatic Module I took a look at the diagrams and am still up in the air.
Do I fellow the steps on the diagrams or do I need to do something different due to my year model?
I have a 2018 STI LIMITED too and need more clarification as well. I actually bought the JDM auto folding mirrors, the ones with BSM and I can say that the harness connector for that one has 16 pins not 12. For the left side all 16 are used and the right side only uses 12 of the 16. This is because this unit uses 4 cables for the JDM left view camera. Then you have 2 wires on either side for the BSM. These are all the extra wires in the BSM unit vs non-BSM unit. If I could just find a store that sells all these connectors I could make my own plug and play setup.
Subie Muchacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #84
Latin.pitbull
Scooby Newbie

Hopefully ajsti24 can join in on this and share how he did it to his 2019 S209 I***8217;m guessing the wire harness in the doors and mirrors must be the same as the 2018 STi limited.
I wasn***8217;t aware that the units with BSD had a 16 pin connector since smyperformance offer both folding mirrors with and with out BSD.Looks like they just copied and pasted the description for the most part.They did state ***8220; Installation is pretty straight forward, re-pin the 12 pin JDM harness plugs to the 10 pin USDM harness found on your OEM mirrors main harness. ***8221;
They did add to the description - Blind Spot Detection
- Puddle Lamp Wiring (this is CONFIRMED)
Now that probably explains why it has a 16 pin connector vs the 12 pin none BSD.2 wires must be for BSD and 2 wires must be for Puddle lamps.
After learning that the unit with BSD have 16 pin connectors it seems that the diagrams for the Mirror Automatic Module are more dedicated to the BDS units since it shows a 16 pin Connector.
Now we just need some to help figure out the wiring for the 2018 Sti limited models.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #85
Latin.pitbull
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie Muchacho View Post
I actually bought the JDM auto folding mirrors, the ones with BSM and I can say that the harness connector for that one has 16 pins not 12.
Have you taken off your mirrors or door panels and checked how many pin connectors itís equip with? Now how lucky would we be if it had 16.IĎm almost tempted to do it myself but since I donít have the mirrors yet Iíll wait.Some one on here knows,please confirm for us.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #86
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Have you taken off your mirrors or door panels and checked how many pin connectors itís equip with? Now how lucky would we be if it had 16.IĎm almost tempted to do it myself but since I donít have the mirrors yet Iíll wait.Some one on here knows,please confirm for us.
I did remove the left panel. The 2018 USDM STI LIMITED has 10 pins but only using 9 of them. The S209 AFAIK doesnít have BSM. So S209s would use the one w/o BSM. The 16 pins on the JDM left mirror are as follows: 2 for puddle, 2 for heater, 2 for mirror pivoting, 2 for turn signals, 2 for folding, 2 for BSM and 4 for camera. The right side has all these minus the 4 for the camera.

The USDM STI LIMITED doesnít have wires for the puddle lights or for the left camera. So while you can indeed plug in the puddle lights to the JDM mirrors, they wonít turn on without extra wires run inside the door to wherever it needs to go. The left camera thatís harder, if it works at all. I personally donít care about the camera. You would need to buy that separately anyway. On the topic of cameras, I have the front view camera with the extra harness that you can get from eBay and it works. I wonder if the left one would work too with the proper harness.

Last edited by Subie Muchacho; 09-09-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #87
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
The USDM STI LIMITED doesnít have wires for the puddle lights or for the left camera. So while you can indeed plug in the puddle lights to the JDM mirrors, they wonít turn on without extra wires run inside the door to wherever it needs to go.
More on this. Even if you re-pinned the the JDM 16 pin connector (BSM unit) to the USDM 10 pin connector, youíd be losing the puddle lights regardless just because you need at least 12 pins to make them work. Thatís why Iím looking for a place to source the USDM 10 pin and the JDM 16 pin connectors to make my own plug and play harness.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #88
Latin.pitbull
Scooby Newbie

Have you thought about asking ,bringing on board andrew_l_s the 1 who made the PNP harness for the front camera.Seems that something like this will be up his ally.He might be able to source the connectors from Japan.Maybe even make the PNP harness.

I send andrew_l_s a PM regarding this.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:09 PM   #89
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Have you thought about asking ,bringing on board andrew_l_s the 1 who made the PNP harness for the front camera.Seems that something like this will be up his ally.He might be able to source the connectors from Japan.Maybe even make the PNP harness.

Sorry, I'm fairly new here so I don't know who does/knows what

Thanks for reaching out!
Old 09-10-2020, 11:55 PM   #90
andrew_l_s
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 446616
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:

Quote:
Sorry, I'm fairly new here so I don't know who does/knows what

Thanks for reaching out!

A PNP adapter is 100% doable if the connectors can be sourced. If I had to guess they're likely Sumitomo branded as I've found the majority to be on these cars. I did install auto dimming/approach light mirror glass from a Legacy but it's been awhile since I had the door panels off to get a good look at the mirror connectors. I got an aftermarket side camera ordered to install so I'll do some investigating when I have the door apart for that.

As for sources of OEM connectors:
easternbeaver.com (Japan)

cycleterminal.com (US)

corsa-technic.com (US)

Also DigiKey has quite a massive selection but finding stuff on there can be difficult, and you have to select the correct terminals yourself.
andrew_l_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #91
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_l_s View Post
A PNP adapter is 100% doable if the connectors can be sourced. If I had to guess they're likely Sumitomo branded as I've found the majority to be on these cars. I did install auto dimming/approach light mirror glass from a Legacy but it's been awhile since I had the door panels off to get a good look at the mirror connectors. I got an aftermarket side camera ordered to install so I'll do some investigating when I have the door apart for that.

As for sources of OEM connectors:
easternbeaver.com (Japan)

cycleterminal.com (US)

corsa-technic.com (US)

Also DigiKey has quite a massive selection but finding stuff on there can be difficult, and you have to select the correct terminals yourself.
Cool. I have pictures of the 2018 STI LIMITED OEM (with BSM) and JDM (with BSM) left mirror connectors. I will post them up here once I figure out how.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:20 PM   #92
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Here is the USDM 2018 STI Limited with BSM left mirror 10-pin connector.

Here is the JDM with BSM left 16-pin connector
Old 09-12-2020, 06:03 PM   #93
brdlydupuy12
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 485398
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

This is awesome, this needs to become regular practice in the states on everything but trucks!
brdlydupuy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #94
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Thanks for posting the supplier websites. I believe I just found the JDM 16-pin male/female connectors for the BSM mirror assembly at http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__...25/nh-025.html. They appear to be the "16 Position .025Ē NH Connector". The female side looks exactly like the one on the JDM mirror assembly that I bought. Now I need to find the USDM 10-pin connector then we are getting somewhere.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:06 PM   #95
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

This is a different angle of the JDM 16-pin female connector on the mirror side. If you look at the 16-pin one on the link above they look identical. In case someone wants to corroborate.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:18 AM   #96
Latin.pitbull
Scooby Newbie

Have you looked at the 10 Position 090 TS Connector they offer?

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/TS090/ts090.html
Old 09-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #97
Latin.pitbull
Scooby Newbie

This might be of some help

http://prd.sws.co.jp/components/series/pdf/en/1310components_je.pdf
Old 09-13-2020, 11:28 PM   #98
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Sadly, I donít see the right 10-pin connector at neither of the two links above. Anybody know of any other supplier in Japan? Interesting to note that the 12-pin JDM (no BSM) connector looks just like the 10-pin USDM one, just wider. Which I also tried finding for those of you who donít have BSM but could not find that one either. Is there a way to know the brand/model of a connector by just looking at it? I canít find any lettering of the sort on them.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:18 AM   #99
ajsti24
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 S209,GLC43

Quote:
This is a different angle of the JDM 16-pin female connector on the mirror side. If you look at the 16-pin one on the link above they look identical. In case someone wants to corroborate.

Do you have a pic of the top/bottom view of the JDM 16-pin plug(showing the wire colors)? I can suggest to re-pin the 16-pin to the USDM 10-pin plug with the BSM function as-is, and do not pin the mirror fold wires(brown/gray) and run these wire separately and tap it directly to the respective wires in the door connector on the kick panel(D83/D84 pins 24/25). I think this is the best way to make it work.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:43 AM   #100
Kahl23
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 516834
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2020 WRX
Lapis Blue

I've been following along with this thread because I plan to do this mod myself and I think I found the 10-pin USDM connector.

It's a Yazaki 91 type TK connector, part number 7283***8211;6360.

There's a pretty good photo of it here: https://nexelec.com/YAZAKI-7283-6360/. You can also see it in the Yazaki catalog (https://connectors-catalog.sys.yzk.c...Connectors.pdf), Page 176 (Page 16 of the PDF). The problem is I haven't yet been able to find a retailer who sells them individually. If anyone is able to find a place to buy it, please post it here!

Last edited by Kahl23; 09-16-2020 at 12:56 AM.
Kahl23 is offline   Reply With Quote