Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday December 1, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
m5gorrf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 468210
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
Blue

Default Differences when a VF48 replaces a TD04, Advice Pls

Thanks for reading!

I am looking for others experiences and any concerns when a VF48 replaces a TD04.

I am only looking for better top end power for passing for now. The motor has almost 200K miles on it and has had head gaskets in the last 25K, with reasonable compression.

2006 WRX Wagon
Larger aftermarket TMIC
Cobb DP and 3" to the rear
Stage 2 accessport tune with proper pill in vac line
Silicon inlet

If the VF48 for now, was forced to behave like the TD04 other then better top end for passing over 80mph, I would be find. I have a STI shortblock sitting waiting for B25 heads then when time allows an engine swap. Also a full tune at that time.

Should I remove the pill from the wastegate vac line?
Other suggestions or things I should be aware of.

Thanks again

Last edited by m5gorrf; 10-17-2020 at 12:08 PM.
m5gorrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
Unabomber
👏 Big Ron 👏

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2740715 needs to be followed to the letter. Your care is old and there are things that need looked at. There is no way to make a VF48 behave like a TD04, that's an upgrade and needs supporting mods and a tune.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
m5gorrf
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
Blue

Thanks, owned from new, all fluids change well before normal schedule. All plastic / rubber parts inspected / stressed or changed.

'Not behave the same' what do you suspect the VF48 will do or how will it be different?
Old 10-17-2020, 08:45 PM   #4
LAS04subie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 379520
Vehicle:
2005 Wrx
WRB

You would need some injectors and a tune at the very least. You canít just throw on the turbo and hope itíll work out.
LAS04subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:28 PM   #5
Dave D.
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 130990
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
06 Red Ltd.Wagon
Dom 1.5xtr JJ tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5gorrf View Post
Thanks, owned from new, all fluids change well before normal schedule. All plastic / rubber parts inspected / stressed or changed.

'Not behave the same' what do you suspect the VF48 will do or how will it be different?

When I put a VF39 on top of my catted downpipe and stock exhaust, I gained nearly 70whp/tq compared to the TD04. It did need a new tune.

It's the single biggest bang for the buck on that car, as it already has the injectors to handle it (same as Sti injectors for the same year). You do NOT need new injectors! This argument has been settled numerous times. I did install an Sti intercooler I picked up for $150 at the time. A Walbro 255 fuel pump probably wouldn't hurt, either.

The car was a monster compared to its old self, with tremendous pulling power up top. (As time went on I got used to it, of course!)
Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:20 AM   #6
m5gorrf
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave D. View Post
When I put a VF39 on top of my catted downpipe and stock exhaust, I gained nearly 70whp/tq compared to the TD04. It did need a new tune.

It's the single biggest bang for the buck on that car, as it already has the injectors to handle it (same as Sti injectors for the same year). You do NOT need new injectors! This argument has been settled numerous times. I did install an Sti intercooler I picked up for $150 at the time. A Walbro 255 fuel pump probably wouldn't hurt, either.

The car was a monster compared to its old self, with tremendous pulling power up top. (As time went on I got used to it, of course!)
Did the VF39 spool slower at bottom end compared to the TD04?

I was hoping to install the VF48 & drive it to the tuners.

I will most likely hold off installing the VF48 until the engine swap as it needs to be tuned for the STI motor anyway. Just thought the ECU might be able to control the VF48 & not let it change the performance envelope other then better power top end..

Thanks for all the input.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:50 AM   #7
cdska
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 458809
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 wrx wagon

You can install it and use a cobb ots vf39 map with all the other appropriate supporting mods to drive to the tuner. Just stay out of boost.
cdska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
m5gorrf
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
Blue

Great advice thanks